Shuttlecock XV: Seppos and the 42: Cobbler's Epic Fail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's ZooTV, maybe the final stages of Lovetown when they were running on fumes... and there's daylight. That's my take on the matter.

360 Rose Bowl WOWY was the nadir as far as I'm concerned and ranks as one of Bono's crappiest performances of all time:

...but there were many, many boring takes of it on Vertigo. I actually liked it a lot on I+E and it's not bad on this tour.

Last edited:
But some of those songs were only played for a brief period and none of them were anywhere near definitive versions. Tough to be a particularly memorable tour when the performances themselves are consistently sub-par. Bullet with Johnny Comes Marching Home, Elevation with the endless intro, Streets with the stupid flag lights, really dreary versions of WOWY, etc.

Plus, they were supporting one of their worst albums, so you got the occasional Original of the Species instead of the occasional Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses.

Case re-opened.

Oh, ZooTV Bullet takes a massive steaming dump on Vertigo Bullet, that's for sure. I've nothing against Elevation on that tour though.

And WOWY? Yeah, those 1992 versions are the song continuing its JT/Lovetown glory. But even by 1993 WOWY was off the boil.

ZooTV also had Ultra Violet and TTTYAATW nearly every fucking night, so let's not play the OOTS game.

But Ian's right. Any tour with a good selection of pre-War songs has a huge advantage in my ratings.

So I was in a Starbucks today for maybe 45 minutes to an hour, and it was Shuttlecock playing there the whole time.

When I first went in, Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around The World was playing. I thought this was weird, because I assumed it was a radio station and what radio station plays that? But then Ultraviolet started playing, so I figured somebody was playing AB straight through. But that wasn't the case either because Acrobat didn't follow. Here's what was played:

TTTYAATW
Ultraviolet
Angel Of Harlem
Love Rescue Me
All I Want Is You
Stay
BD
Grace
White As Snow
Song For Someone

By the end I just figured somebody plugged their phone in with U2 on shuffle or something. Just weird hearing some of that stuff in public - TTTYAATW? Love Rescue Me? Grace? White As Snow?

Looks like you should have stayed there 30 minutes instead of 45.

I'd have left during Love Rescue Me, under the assumption nothing good is going to show up.

I'd then miss AIWIY and Stay, so the joke would be on me.

I'd have left during Love Rescue Me, under the assumption nothing good is going to show up.

I'd then miss AIWIY and Stay, so the joke would be on me.

If I was with my partner I'd be best to leave at Love Rescue Me as she'd order another coffee and pour it on me for doing a full on stage performance for her in the middle of Starbucks.

In hindsight, the Veritgo tour is not one of my favorites, even though it was the first show I'd seen since 1997, my first tour where I traveled to see multiple shows, and started to meet new people. But I don't find myself returning to it often.

I watched the Vertigo Chicago DVD recently and it was better than I remembered, so yay. Distance makes Vertigo grow fonder.

I might make cynical jokes about the setlist, but really if this is what comes here instead of iE or whatever, I'll be fizzing at the bumhole to attend.

They could play my first Vertigo show, song for song, and I'd still have a blast.

I have a (new) appreciation for Trip. One of the many highlights of the show.

Yes it would be nice if the setlists had a bit of variety, but what did you expect. Doesn't stop the show being awesome.

This tour is The Cock at both their most magical and most frustrating.

The setlist is a mess. The opening mini-suite doesn't work at all and takes the punch out of Streets for me. It's supposed to be the most cathartic moment of the show, and I think having it anywhere but late in the set or as the opener lessens its impact substantially. I'd love it if they just opened with JT and did a second set afterwards. Punch us in the mouth with Streets and the red screen to start, right? Setlist sequencing is really my only nitpick. though. I'm not going to complain about a setlist in which I get to hear Exit and OTH.

The good, however, was very good. The photography and imagery with the JT set is immaculate for me (other than 1/8 of the screen briefly going out during MOTD in Houston), and that 11 song stretch is a concert experience I'll treasure for the rest of my life. Side Two alone made driving all over Texas this week worth it.

Long and short of it: I had a blast at both shows, Dallas was probably the better show, and if they get the setlist sequencing figured out on the second leg, this tour could be just about perfect.

Now spoilery shit if you guys are still doing this:

UV is my favorite song of all time and it becoming at setlist staple over the course of the past eight years makes me really happy. I will never get sick of it.

Getting Bad both nights obviously thrilled me as they didn't play it either of the previous times I'd seen them. It's perfect and always will be, but having it as the third song in the set last night killed my vibe. No way it should be played that early.

They closed with IWF last night instead of the new song, maybe the first time they've done that this tour? I haven't looked at many setlists, so what do I know? But I hope they took notes from it, because it seemed like a spontaneous decision and it certainly paid dividends. Everyone was losing their minds all around the stadium and there were no screen visuals for it, just the band doing their thing in the middle of the main stage with pretty rudimentary lighting. Obsessives like us going as crazy as the folks I saw looking at their phones during Red Hill but going nuts during Elevation. I feel like that was the best moment that struck a balance between pleasing all the casuals (probably the majority of the audience, let's be honest) and the Cock Force.

I mention that just because I realize we probably go to these shows for different reasons than the layman, the band has a job to do in pleasing both of us, but I definitely think they've got it in them to achieve something that's perfect for everyone. IWF made me feel that way. I'm rambling, whatever. I don't post here a lot anymore and wanted to get all my thoughts down.

Last thing: I'm not talking about The Missing Song, but I was fucking devastated.

Last edited:
The thread about the JT site. My partner looked at me, utterly stunned, when I said my exact thoughts on hardcore U2 fans.

"I thought you were a hardcore U2 fan"

No my love. I'm a hardcore U2 fan who isn't an overly self entitled cunt.

Regarding the missing song. There are NO bootlegs uploaded right now of night one at the Rose Bowl. I'm beginning to question whether or not I actually really even heard it...

Seattle got surprise IWF as a closer, and the crowd (and me) went apeshit. But we also got the new song so yaaaaay.

Regarding the missing song. There are NO bootlegs uploaded right now of night one at the Rose Bowl. I'm beginning to question whether or not I actually really even heard it...

This is unfortunate. That rendition of RTSS dedicated to Cornell needs to be preserved for posterity in something other than video clips, although maybe there's one that has great sound.

This tour is The Cock at both their most magical and most frustrating.

The setlist is a mess. The opening mini-suite doesn't work at all and takes the punch out of Streets for me. It's supposed to be the most cathartic moment of the show, and I think having it anywhere but late in the set or as the opener lessens its impact substantially. I'd love it if they just opened with JT and did a second set afterwards. Punch us in the mouth with Streets and the red screen to start, right? Setlist sequencing is really my only nitpick. though. I'm not going to complain about a setlist in which I get to hear Exit and OTH.

The good, however, was very good. The photography and imagery with the JT set is immaculate for me (other than 1/8 of the screen briefly going out during MOTD in Houston), and that 11 song stretch is a concert experience I'll treasure for the rest of my life. Side Two alone made driving all over Texas this week worth it.

Long and short of it: I had a blast at both shows, Dallas was probably the better show, and if they get the setlist sequencing figured out on the second leg, this tour could be just about perfect.

Now spoilery shit if you guys are still doing this:

UV is my favorite song of all time and it becoming at setlist staple over the course of the past eight years makes me really happy. I will never get sick of it.

Getting Bad both nights obviously thrilled me as they didn't play it either of the previous times I'd seen them. It's perfect and always will be, but having it as the third song in the set last night killed my vibe. No way it should be played that early.

They closed with IWF last night instead of the new song, maybe the first time they've done that this tour? I haven't looked at many setlists, so what do I know? But I hope they took notes from it, because it seemed like a spontaneous decision and it certainly paid dividends. Everyone was losing their minds all around the stadium and there were no screen visuals for it, just the band doing their thing in the middle of the main stage with pretty rudimentary lighting. Obsessives like us going as crazy as the folks I saw looking at their phones during Red Hill but going nuts during Elevation. I feel like that was the best moment that struck a balance between pleasing all the casuals (probably the majority of the audience, let's be honest) and the Cock Force.

I mention that just because I realize we probably go to these shows for different reasons than the layman, the band has a job to do in pleasing both of us, but I definitely think they've got it in them to achieve something that's perfect for everyone. IWF made me feel that way. I'm rambling, whatever. I don't post here a lot anymore and wanted to get all my thoughts down.

Last thing: I'm not talking about The Missing Song, but I was fucking devastated.

Two things: I disagree slightly about the placement of Streets. I think the way they keep tinkering with the opening run is troublesome, and it absolutely doesn't work with just 3 pre-JT songs before it. And I don't want to sound like I'm rubbing it in, but I did feel like SBS-NYD-ASOH-Pride worked as a run-up to the full album. You're talking like 20 minutes into the show basically. Could they use one more oldie in there, possibly OOC, Gloria, or Electric Co? Sure.

And of course I agree that Bad doesn't work in the #3 slot, that's way too early for a song of such release and catharsis.[/SPOILER]

Glad you enjoyed it overall, though.

ZooTV also had Ultra Violet and TTTYAATW nearly every fucking night, so let's not play the OOTS game.

I think you're probably the only one here who puts Ultraviolet in the same category as OOTS.

The only problems with the Vertigo tour though were Bullet and the album it was promoting.

In defense of Axver, I feel like most people's kneejerk reaction when hearing Vertigo compared to ZooTV comes from the memorable visual presentation of the latter. It's certainly hard for me to focus specifically on the music itself, which Axver is doing. I don't really listen to Zoo bootlegs because for me the theatricality is so interwoven with the performances of the songs.

So I can understand him having a preference for the more recent tour, whether or not I agree with it--I can't address specific songs sounding better on one or the other without more research.

Imo, the Zooropa leg of ZooTV specifically was pretty fucking spectacular.

In terms of shows, the ZooTV Outside Broadcast in NA was my first U2 show so always holds a place in my heart. But yeah, I would say in terms of rare stuff I hadn't heard before Vertigo actually ranks pretty close.

Last edited:
I can't think of a ZooTV song that was performed better on Vertigo, is the thing.

Zoo Station - hell no
The Fly - no
Mysterious Ways - absolutely not; it never was this good again
One - see above
UTEOTW - one of Vertigo's better regulars, but not quite
Bad - nope
Bullet - lol
RTSS - thrilled that I got to hear it, but no
Streets - noooo
Pride - closer but nah
ISHFWILF - both pretty bland, but Bono was in better voice on ZooTV
Desire - this isn't fair
WOWY - no sir
Love Is Blindness - Vertigo take was a pale shadow of the original, but points for giving it a try

Then, filling in the gaps between these staples, you've got...HTDAAB songs. And yes, some great early stuff. Too bad it was stripped down to 2-3 songs a night by the middle of the tour. Getting An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, Electric Co., New Year's Day and 40 all on the same night must have been awesome.

Last edited:
Vertigo take of Love is Blindness? When have they played LIB anywhere other than 92/93?

That remains my favorite tour era, static sets and all. I just fucking love it.

I'm sure a bootleg for every show will come along eventually.
Hope so. Listening to the boot for night two is giving me chills.

Also now that I've heard Shine like stars on the bootleg, I'm still content counting it. That was such an awesome moment

Vertigo take of Love is Blindness? When have they played LIB anywhere other than 92/93?

That remains my favorite tour era, static sets and all. I just fucking love it.
It only happened once so it's silly to compare...

Vertigo Tour2006-03-01- Buenos Aires, Argentina - River Plate Stadium

Back
Top Bottom