Shuttlecock XIX - send $40 now for your opportunity to not get a presale code

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The quality is absolute garbage. Really not worth wasting a first listen on this tbh, though I admit I've become fairly picky about that over the years.

I jumped around a bit and maybe heard 10-20 seconds of each track. Little Things sounded amazing, but nothing else jumped out at me all that much.
Yup, couldn't get through it. Stopped after the second song.

Interesting choice of opener though. Sounded like a good song. I think I'm going to be pleasantly surprised by this album (is that even possible if I'm anticipating it?), based solely on the fact that the songs we've heard so far, with the exception of Little Things, have set the bar so incredibly low. Just by the law of averages the rest of the stuff should be better, right?! At this point I'm just hoping they haven't fucked up The Little Things.

Yup, couldn't get through it. Stopped after the second song.

Interesting choice of opener though. Sounded like a good song. I think I'm going to be pleasantly surprised by this album (is that even possible if I'm anticipating it?), based solely on the fact that the songs we've heard so far, with the exception of Little Things, have set the bar so incredibly low. Just by the law of averages the rest of the stuff should be better, right?! At this point I'm just hoping they haven't fucked up The Little Things.
They didn't fuck it up

Same. Heartened to hear the quality isn't great. Would much rather wait. Excited by early reactions, though.

And LOL it was that Jag guy? Ha ha haaaaa, of course.

Everyone’s positive responses are good enough for me until I pick up the vinyl on Friday and give it a proper listen.

I preordered the deluxe on Amazon but it-s telling me I won't get it on release day. Grr. Will listen on Spotify on Friday.

Yeah, I'll probably be waiting until it's on Spotify on Friday.

I actually thought the era of albums 'leaking' the way they did a decade ago was over with the advent of streaming services. Am I wrong? Just seems like you don't hear about albums leaking so much anymore whereas it felt like every anticipated album leaked early in the mid-aughts.

Yeah, since most people use phones just going through the hassle of downloading mp3s and unpacking them and playing them isn’t as easy on a phone the way it is on a pc. At least from my experience.

Yeah, since most people use phones just going through the hassle of downloading mp3s and unpacking them and playing them isn’t as easy on a phone the way it is on a pc. At least from my experience.

For iPhone, at least, there is an app called Filer than can download and unzip, and you can play MP3 files straight from the app.

That being said, based on the description of the quality, I’m not going to even attempt to find this leak.

And in case Mofo is reading this, I am also morally opposed to it.

I like it a lot. It's very good in many ways.
Once again, the first singles are not really indicative of the album. Best Thing is by far the poppiest thing here. Lots and lots of lovely things. Great lyrics (American Soul and Best Thing aside).

The album is a lot better than the first singles would have you believe.

Big fan of the subdued opening track. It's a nice change of pace for them.

The Song for Someone repurposing in 13 bothers me less than the Volcano bit in American Soul. It's still quite prominent though, but at least they got rid of the synths.

Overall, agreed that the singles are not representative of the album. I'm not sure if SoE's best moments are as good as SoI's, though. There is no The Troubles here.

The Little Things is a standout for me. I liked it a great deal live, and the studio version does justice to that crescendo at the end.

On a first listen, I am not sure whether I like that this is a diverse record that underscores their maturity as a band, or whether its diversity is masking an overall lack of internal identity, similar to their most recent efforts.

One thing that bothers me is that Bono is way too chatty. Most songs would benefit from having time to breathe and by letting the instruments speak for themselves. But he always finds a way to inject himself. His voice sounds pretty good, on the other hand.

Last edited:
I've downloaded it. It's sitting on my hard drive. Trying to decide if I should cave or wait. I don't mind waiting. It's the waiting while people are talking about it NOW that bothers me.

I have an insanely busy day for once, but I'll give the album a listen late tonight or tomorrow. I really do not want it to suck.

My only real complaint with the album is American Soul.

The other SOI callbacks work great thematically. Calling back Volcano serves no purpose at all.

To say something nice about it, I like the Kendrick bridge between the two songs, and it starts kickass .... then the chorus comes in and it's all downhill from there.

Everything else is pretty damned good/great. Best Thing could be removed from the album with no impact, but damned if that isn't a catchy damned thing.

Damned, I say!

Best Thing doesn’t work where it is. I’d swap its play order with The Blackout which I believe should be near the start, and Best Thing could follow Landlady (which is still to grow on me). I’m loving tracks 6-8 the best. (The Showman has a great 50’s vibe to it). And as for Love is Bigger... I think my heart could burst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom