Shuttlecock XIV: Bono the Vampire Slayer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope they revise the "hey you, I remember you" video but have 2017 Bono watching footage of 1993 Bono watching footage of 1987 Bono wandering the desert.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So they're going to honor the 30th of JT with full-album shows, yet they let AB's 25th go by with barely any attention?

Fuck that shit.

Like Cori said, he didn't say anything about full-album shows.

Also, I'm thinking Acrobat is probably enough of a reason in their minds to not play AB all the way through.

Hell, I'd be skeptical of them playing JT all the way through just because of Red Hill Mining Town.

I would LOVE to hear the second side of JT get a long-overdue live revival - other than One Tree Hill and borderline-karoke versions of In God's Country, we haven't gotten anything from there in a long time. Oh, I guess they played MOTD on 360.

So they're going to honor the 30th of JT with full-album shows, yet they let AB's 25th go by with barely any attention?

Fuck that shit.

Maybe they just like 30th anniversaries more than 25ths? Let's see if there's an Achtung Baby celebration in 2021.

If they're not playing a full-album show, then what, exactly would they be talking about? When the band opened some late-leg 360 shows with a run of AB songs, they didn't announce something special for the album's fans.

Considering they already play 4 JT songs at almost every show, and play One Tree Hill and God's Country on occasion, I'm not even sure what they would do? You don't drop a hint like this just because you're going to add Exit to the rotating part of the setlist, for example.

And fuck them anyway for all their second-guessing and creative compromising.

If they're not playing a full-album show, then what, exactly would they be talking about? When the band opened some late-leg 360 shows with a run of AB songs, they didn't announce something special for the album's fans.

Considering they already play 4 JT songs at almost every show, and play One Tree Hill and God's Country on occasion, I'm not even sure what they would do? You don't drop a hint like this just because you're going to add Exit to the rotating part of the setlist, for example.

They haven't played IGC full-band since the JT tour. Nor have they played Trip or Exit since the JT tour. And they've never played RHMT.

Plus, maybe they're going to play some of the b-sides they've never played - Luminous Times, Walk To The Water, Deep In The Heart, etc, plus bring back Spanish Eyes, Silver And Gold, and Sweetest Thing.

Just spit-balling here.

But I really have a hard-time seeing 2016 Bono being able to pull off RHMT.

Someone at Billboard must've run with info the band didn't want out yet - that article is now completely different. Heh.

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

Sign of the times here that this news doesn't get more than 15 or so posts in this thread! :sad:

I totally agree with you here, but then you also said this?

You don't think U2 would continue their second-guessing and creative compromising? How many statements in the past 10 years have turned out to be meek hedge bets? I think is EVERY chance that they'll just do a handful of 20-song shows that feature a few JT tracks played back-to-back, with the live returns of RTSS, Exit and In God's Country being the only remotely exciting parts.

All that said, I think the video was cute and funny as hell, and I am so so long past the days of my intense U2 fandom that even if 2017 U2 ends up being a lie about SoE and a handful of not-all-together exciting JT tribute shows I won't be so crushed. It's exciting news to me. Let's take what we can get, knowing that they are very unlikely to change their ways at this point. :shrug:

And if the dates are kind I will definitely fly overseas to see a show. Probably LA (or Seattle) (or Utah), stay with one of you if that's alright :)

Someone at Billboard must've run with info the band didn't want out yet - that article is now completely different. Heh.

I saw that! Outlining a solid string of dates for both the US and Europe, right?

Red Hill Mining Town would be a lot of fun to hear. And Exit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app

[tweet]813789241499090944[/tweet]

Does it bother anyone else that media stories are stating that the stadium tour is to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Joshua Tree?

The band was always going to go on tour in 2017 to promote Songs of Experience. The Joshua Tree connection is being made because of Bono's ambiguous comment in that Christmas video.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The Christmas video seemed to be focused on the whole Joshua Tree thing, though. They're decorating a Joshua Tree in the background, and Bono ends the video by whispering "Joshua Tree" into the camera.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app

Given how I haven't had the slightest inclination to listen to Songs of Innocence since about November 2014 I would much rather hear JT in full than get a new album. :reject:

Back
Top Bottom