Shuttlecock XIV: Bono the Vampire Slayer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know, but I think it's extremely counter-intuitive to name a man - who to my knowledge hasn't really done anything else other than publicly support the fight for equality - as Woman of the Year. It's a bit of a slap in the face to the hundreds or thousands or millions of women out there who are working a lot harder than Bono and not getting any recognition.

I thought you were kidding at first, now I'm not sure. You know he wasn't actually named Woman of the Year, right?

I know, but I think it's extremely counter-intuitive to name a man - who to my knowledge hasn't really done anything else other than publicly support the fight for equality - as Woman of the Year. It's a bit of a slap in the face to the hundreds or thousands or millions of women out there who are working a lot harder than Bono and not getting any recognition.

Triggered!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

While recent (non)developments with the band are what led me to take a long break, the 25th anniversary of Achtung Baby should not go unmentioned.

November 18, 1991.

The first time I went to a record store to buy an album at midnight. And since then, unchanging, my #1 album, by anyone.

Wow, so 25 years ago last night, I snuck out of my house to go to the midnight sale. I popped it in and I thought I blew my car's speakers, turns out it was just the intro to one of the greatest albums of all time.

I remember buying it. Freshman year of college, a roommate who was super shy (and whose English wasn't great, so that was a double whammy of "no real conversation happening"). Hadn't met those who would become my good friends yet.

Walked down to Main St in Waukesha to the little record store to buy the CD. Came back to the dorm and immediately spent the rest of the day listening to it on my headphones.

I got my copy in 1992 from Columbia house with 11 other CDs I never paid for ?

I got my copy in 1992 from Columbia house with 11 other CDs I never paid for ??????

Ha me too, but maybe 1994? My sister had a copy of Achtung that I often borrowed so I didn't get my own until later.

Zooropa was my first U2 album, followed by War.

Last edited:
While recent (non)developments with the band are what led me to take a long break, the 25th anniversary of Achtung Baby should not go unmentioned.

November 18, 1991.

The first time I went to a record store to buy an album at midnight. And since then, unchanging, my #1 album, by anyone.

It's a monster of an album. No way this forum would still be hanging on for grim life without the long tail of that album and era.

Or who knows, maybe I'm kidding myself. A lot of the younger fans in EYKIW seem to be plugged into an entirely different vision of U2.

I was a little later than most of you getting into the band, getting into them at the tail end of the Pop era in the summer of 1998. Although it was the end of the Pop era, I didn't listen to that album until later. I got into the band through their 80s work - I saw the videos for With Or Without You, Sunday Bloody Sunday(UABRS), and Angel Of Harlem in close proximity to each other, this led to the Joshua Tree and UABRS, which in turn led to the Best Of 1980-1990+B-Sides, which was just coming out that fall. So I really didn't even start listening to 90s U2 until the following Spring when I started collecting the individual albums after having listened 1980-1990 all Winter.

So I just remembering hearing One and Mysterious Ways on the radio by chance, and I went out to a local second-hand place to check AB out. This place had CD players with good headphones upfront, so you could go to the front counter and ask to listen to any album they had in stock. This was 1999, so there was only dial-up internet and no music streaming, so this was a big thing at the time.

I think I listened to maybe a minute of each song, maybe did that a couple of times, and that was enough to sell me on it. I took it home that day and it did not take me long to completely fall in love with it. I still remember listening to UTEOTW in full for the first time in the car on the way home.

Needless to say, the album means a lot to me. It will always be one of my very favorite records ever, one of the most important to me. It was THAT album for me in high school, the one you escape into to get away from whatever might be bothering you at school.

It still kind of is. It's like comfort food.

I know JT is their most famous album, the most recognizable one to the public at large, but I think among more serious listeners of rock music, Achtung comes out on top more often than not.

1991 was quite a year for rock albums.
Achtung Baby right at the top of the list and also the likes of:

Ten
Nevermind
Badmotorfinger
Gish
Trompe le Monde
The Black Album
Use Your Illusion 1 & 2
Blood, Sugar, Sex. Magik
For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
Out of Time
Temple of the Dog
Loveless
Mental Jewelry

Not too shabby

1991 was quite a year for rock albums.
Achtung Baby right at the top of the list and also the likes of:

Ten
Nevermind
Badmotorfinger
Gish
Trompe le Monde
The Black Album
Use Your Illusion 1 & 2
Blood, Sugar, Sex. Magik
For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
Out of Time
Temple of the Dog
Loveless
Mental Jewelry

Not too shabby

That is an understatement. 1991 was one of the greatest years ever for rock music. AB, Out Of Time, BSSM, Ten, and Nevermind(despite its over-played-ness) are all all-timers for me.

You can add Queen's swansong with Freddie Mercury(not counting the posthumous 'Made In Heaven') , 'Innuendo', Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers' 'Into The Great Wide Open', and Primal Scream's 'Screamadelica' to that list.

That year of releases pretty much set the tone for the entire decade.

Last edited:
Listened to Achtung Baby today while performing the annual "get the Christmas shit out of the attic" torture.
Can someone please force Edge to listen to The Fly, Until The End of the World, Acrobat and Love is Blindness on repeat until it sinks in that this is what he should be doing.

I keep seeing all these "U2 play just for you" ads on Facebook. Have they announced a tour or something that I missed? I'm so behind on the 2.

U2 play just for you... and perform all the hits you've heard a hundred times before.

Back
Top Bottom