Shuttlecock XIV: Bono the Vampire Slayer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Rose Bowl show is on a Saturday night, at least.

Since I have the pre-sale code, I may as well get tickets, even if I wind up selling them.

They managed to make it 35+ years before turning into a nostalgia act, which is still an impressive endurance performance.

I hope everyone here who attends...finds what they're looking for. I sure won't.

I tend to agree that it's not great in the grand scheme of things. But given how they chose not to play the best songs off their mediocre last album during the last tour, I think I'll forget any objections I have when/if I get to hear One Tree Hill/Exit/Red Hill Mining Town/full band IGC/RTSS live.

Streets as an opener should be fun too.

I also hope that JT tour means extended WOWY solo + Shine Like Stars.

Read the Rolling Stone interview. Hedge is hedging on Streets as an opener.

Damn. Just saw this. Oh well. Not a very encouraging interview, especially this:

It's often really fun to take something from the past that we haven't played often and reinterpret it, so no doubt we'll be looking into that. But I don't think we're going to put a huge emphasis on obscure and little-heard U2 songs.

I was hoping we would get some of the Rattle and Hum goodies like Heartland, but I'm guessing the rest of the set will be Angel of Harlem/If Love Comes to Town/SBS/IWF stuff.

That Rolling Stone interview bummed me out way more than it should have. It's like Edge purposefully tried to highlight all the annoying decision making the band does these days that makes it hard to be a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm bummed they scrapped the release of SOE and halted the I+E tour to tour behind a 30 year old album and return to stadiums. But, the side of that tries to find the positive from negative is that we will get TJT in full and hopefully get a full
band electric version of In Gods Country and hear Exit for the first time since what, 1989?

And I'm interested in how they're going to approach the whole album played in full thing.

E2NXgs7.jpg

Cock Force, assemble.

In the back of my mind, I'm rolling my eyes at these chuckleheads for a variety of reasons, but fuck it. I'm EXCITED.

I can't believe this area is actually getting two shows, too.

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

I kind of think, maybe, the band probably didn't want to do these type of shows... but got talked into it.

I kind of think, maybe, the band probably didn't want to do these type of shows... but got talked into it.

I can see a situation where the label and Live Nation, clearly not happy that Songs of Experience and the I & E Tour were delayed, convinced the band to do this tour.

That Rolling Stone interview bummed me out way more than it should have. It's like Edge purposefully tried to highlight all the annoying decision making the band does these days that makes it hard to be a fan.

I do like how the interviewer was basically like us though, asking the band to play Drowning Man and Acrobat, b-sides and more Edge leads.

As for the Joshua Tree tour vs SOE divide, I'm in the camp of just being happy that they're doing something. Bono will be 57 this year. They're not getting any younger so I'll keep my mind open to whatever they do for as long as they are around.

That's the theory I'm buying into. Or not that they had to be talked into it, but felt they "owed" LN a tour since they can't get their shit together on SOE.

And maybe revisiting this era, as their first exposure to mega-stardom, sets up reflection of "experience" for the next thing? #spitballing

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

That's the theory I'm buying into. Or not that they had to be talked into it, but felt they "owed" LN a tour since they can't get their shit together on SOE.

The elementary school teacher in me says "You should thought of that before you decided to dick around and not get the job done."

I tend to agree that it's not great in the grand scheme of things. But given how they chose not to play the best songs off their mediocre last album during the last tour, I think I'll forget any objections I have when/if I get to hear One Tree Hill/Exit/Red Hill Mining Town/full band IGC/RTSS live.

This is a very good point. I didn't find the album mediocre but they didn't play any of my five favorites off it (California, Troubles, Reach Around, Volcano, Sleep). Aside from Raised By Wolves and Invisible, most of the standout parts of the 2 I&E shows I saw didn't have anything to do with new music.

E2NXgs7.jpg

Cock Force, assemble.

They were already on the list months ago.

:applaud:

The Rose Bowl show is on a Saturday night, at least.

Since I have the pre-sale code, I may as well get tickets, even if I wind up selling them.

They managed to make it 35+ years before turning into a nostalgia act, which is still an impressive endurance performance.

I hope everyone here who attends...finds what they're looking for. I sure won't.

I don't share your aversion to nostalgia(which seems to be far-reaching, as you've criticized both The Force Awakens and Stranger Things for it, and now this). Plus, I believe Edge when he says this isn't 100% motivated by a desire to look back.

I probably won't be able to make it to a show, but I'd love to hear all that Side B stuff that is seldom if ever heard.

Also, I wasn't as bothered by that interview as some, but I do wish the interviewer, since he was asking about Drowning and Acrobat and b-sides and all that, would have asked if the band was going to do anything at all to acknowledge the 20th anniversary of Pop.

Edge said that the setlists for the upcoming shows, aside from the JT tracks, are a blank canvas. So I am, probably foolishly, hoping that they throw us a bone regarding Pop and at least play Discotheque and Gone, maybe even Please, even if it's only an acoustic version.

Contrary to everyone else I think this is the best decision the band has made this decade. Maybe dating back even further.

I can't fathom why anyone would prefer to hear mediocre new songs from a mediocre new album over some of the best songs they've ever fucking written.

I'm absolutely stoked and I'm trying really hard not to let the speculation that this was forced upon them by LiveNation etc bother me. Because the idea of U2 playing TJT in FULL is fucking awesome, amazing.

Put all your hang-ups aside, people: U2, the band we all love, are going to fucking play Running to Stand Still, In God's Country, Exit and One Tree Hill live EVERY night on this tour. They're going to fucking play RED HILL MINING TOWN, a fucking amazing U2 song that has never been played live. This is cause for excitement. Leave the rest of your whinging at the door and enjoy it for what it is.

The lights go out on red hill
The lights go out on red hill
The lights go out
On red hill
town...

Back
Top Bottom