Shuttlecock XIV: Bono the Vampire Slayer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually really like the idea somebody floated in the Other Place of doing JT in full but in reverse sequence. It's actually pretty well paced for a concert, especially in terms of building up to the really big hits. Ending the main set with Streets is always effective. I can imagine many casuals nodding off a bit after the big three at the start, but if you do it in reverse the anticipation builds and builds.

Of course it won't happen.

In terms of b-sides, I won't be shocked if Sweetest Thing is in the set because everybody fucking knows it. And hopefully Spanish Eyes - I'm halfway tempted to extend my trip in Europe to go to Barcelona, but 1) I'm already extending it enough to do ANY JT shows, and 2) that would just straight-up jinx it and they won't do Spanish Eyes.

I've always been surprised that Silver and Gold hasn't been done live since 1987 because it made RAH and is fairly well known, at least in Australia. My mother, when I took her to a Vertigo show in 2006, was really surprised that they don't play it and she's a total casual fan. But I suspect it's unlikely to be resurrected. The fact the band have spoken in the past about playing Luminous Times makes me think that if it's ever going to be played, this is the tour, but again it's crazily unlikely.

R&H era, but their cover of Everlasting Love seems fairly well known too. That wouldn't be a bad choice. Bit surprising they've never played it live.

There's a fake news article floating around Facebook that U2 have announced a "strike" to protest Trump and are refusing to release Songs of Experience.

A friend just sent a message asking me if it was true. FFS.

R&H era, but their cover of Everlasting Love seems fairly well known too. That wouldn't be a bad choice. Bit surprising they've never played it live.

I've fucking heard that in an ANZ bank branch!

Seriously, for my first two years in Melbourne the only U2 songs I heard in public at shops or cafes were really random ones - Everlasting Love, SATS, that sort of thing. I think the first time I heard an actual megahit was With or Without You on a bus.

There's a fake news article floating around Facebook that U2 have announced a "strike" to protest Trump and are refusing to release Songs of Experience.

A friend just sent a message asking me if it was true. FFS.
Ugh, they won't be able to get out of that one.

Did anyone notice that the band is apparently putting SOE on hold because it might not be relevant enough to the current political climate? That's simultaneously a total cop out and intriguing. Assuming it's not just a lame excuse, it makes you wonder what they wrote in the first place that would require an update now.

I too think the "we want SOE to be relevant" thing is a crock of shit. If they wanted to release a relevant album then make a new one, and have released SOE months ago.

Oh, have you heard SOE already? Good to know you've already passed judgment on it before they've even released it.

I'm sorry, but whatever you think of SOI, or the album before that, or the two before that, I'm not ready to write off a band that is still capable of making the last three tracks on SOI. That's a vital artist as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I'd rather hear those songs live than the entirety of JT.

Bottom line, we don't know what SOE is going to sound like or how good it's going to be, and the only thing we can have confidence in is that it won't sound completely like its predecessor. And for me, that unknown is better than any backwards catalogue-diving, because it's new an waiting to be explored and dissected.

I would think someone into new music as much as you are would understand that.

yes, but we KNOW they aren't going to release any album made up of music as good as the last three tracks on SOI. The chances of SOE containing eight or nine really great songs is basically zero. It's pretty hard to get excited about a new U2 album when historically it's only going to have three or four really good songs. That doesn't cut it.

Liked this a lot, even if it wasn't groundbreaking for us hardcore fans, any of us could have written similar thoughts, and thought their comment about their choice of opening bands was spot on.

DC show fell through (this is why people should never have children!), so I'm getting tempted to go full douche and get Red Zone tix for Dallas....

Nice one mate.

I'll be braving the general sale for London and Berlin next Monday.

Glad I bought this fan membership, the only tix available are nose bleeds. Can't even get GA. Definitely worth the $50.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It won't even search for tickets now, I'll keep messing. It is almost 90 mins since presale started now...

Nabbed GAs for Houston. Perhaps I can make up for Laz's craven behavior at 360 Pasadena when he left his cocks unshuttled.

Dallas presale was and continues to be a nightmare, so I've got two tickets left on my Wires code I may not end up using. Hit me up if you need it, Cock Force.

Fuck your store front pictures, Ticketmaster. I can't even tell what the hell Im looking at!

:| Got my tickets, went to billing, filled everything out and it kicked me out at the confirmation screen and now I can't pull more GAs....I'm so angry right now.

I'm starting to get pretty salty about this.

Back
Top Bottom