Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that Fast Cars is far superior to Xanax and Wine. But on the rare occasion I listen to HTDAAB era material, I definitely reach for Native Son rather than Vertigo these days.

You dropped AMAAW :sad:

Really like the song, but there's no room for it on the tracklisting I put together, which collectively is an angry response to the death of Bono's father and a desire to recapture youth in the face of that passing. AMAAW is a very adult contemplation on desire and commitment and deserves a spot somewhere, just not necessarily on this album.

Fast Cars doesn't fit anywhere on any HTDAAB configuration, but it is great. Would have been a great standalone single. Xanax and Wine is a better fit overall and it's a shame they dumped it for some limp old man pop like OOTS.

Last edited:
"Some things you shouldn't get too good at/like smiling, crying and celebrity" is every bit as egregiously overwritten as "I woke up at the moment when the miracle occurred." Bono needs to cut that shit out.

A lot of people in The Other Place love OOTS though. Personally, I think it's one of the worst songs they ever recorded.

I like parts of it a lot, others not so much. The rare time they played an electric guitar version and let Edge loose is a glimpse of what it could have been.

The timeline in the special edition book for Bomb shows Mercy as being the last recorded, so it wouldn't belong on a 2003 sessions only version/

Had forgotten about that timeline. Looking at it, it seems like A Man And A Woman and One Step Closer came later too. So I guess if we're being purists...

1. Native Son
2. Are You Gonna Wait Forever
3. Smile
4. Sometimes(Alt)
5. Love And Peace Or Else
6. COBL
7. ABOY(Alt)
8. Xanax And Wine
9. Yahweh(Alt.)
10. OOTS

or something like that.

But AMAAW, OSC, and Mercy are some of the best material of the era period, so I am hesitant to listen a playlist without them.

The Native Son/Xanax and Wine faction on this forum is one of the most blockheaded for sure. Fast Cars is one of their best from that decade.

Way to insult a bunch of people. I like Fast Cars a lot too, it's got a distinct flavor and feeling from Xanax, but Xanax is a bit more rock, a bit thicker, and especially goes with the 2003 material better. As for Native Son, look, Vertigo is fun, and certainly was better in terms of being a single, but Native Son has a more interesting lyric, is more melodic, is less polished, and the 'pleeeeeease' in the bridge is just so much better than 'all of this...all of this can be yours'. It's not that I dislike Vertigo or Fast Cars, it just that Native Son and Xanax And Wine have a little more meat on them to these ears.

Last edited:
Really like the song, but there's no room for it on the tracklisting I put together, which collectively is an angry response to the death of Bono's father and a desire to recapture youth in the face of that passing. AMAAW is a very adult contemplation on desire and commitment and deserves a spot somewhere, just not necessarily on this album.

Fast Cars doesn't fit anywhere on any HTDAAB configuration, but it is great. Would have been a great standalone single. Xanax and Wine is a better fit overall and it's a shame they dumped it for some limp old man pop like OOTS.

Agreed on the quality of AMAAW, except I think it's good enough that I don't care if it fits or not.

I disagree with your statement about Fast Cars though, I think it would fit fine the official album in place of Miracle Drug.

Vertigo
Fast Cars
Sometimes
regular order from here

Much better than having MD in the middle. Fast Cars would also fit well between ABOY and AMAAW.

"Some things you shouldn't get too good at/like smiling, crying and celebrity" is every bit as egregiously overwritten as "I woke up at the moment when the miracle occurred." Bono needs to cut that shit out.

A lot of people in The Other Place love OOTS though. Personally, I think it's one of the worst songs they ever recorded.

Here we go with this complaint about the business of those Miracle lyrics again. Some of you can't let this go. Yes, he could've said 'I woke up when the miracle occurred', but he needed the lyric to fit the music/notes. The music is what matters. I can forgive almost any lyrical deficiency if I like the music and I find the melody of that chorus to be pretty infectious. But I seem to be in a minority here.

On more thorough examination, I'm not convinced of the accuracy of that timeline, namely where it puts One Step Closer as a 2004 track, because Chris Thomas and Lanois have the production credits on it, and that would seem to contradict the notion of it coming later.

Anyway, I think I'll stick with my original order, even though Mercy and AMAAW probably came later.

1. Native Son - Thomas
2. Are You Gonna Wait Forever - Eno/Lanois
3. Smile - ?, I assume Thomas
4. Sometimes(Alt) - Thomas
5. Love And Peace Or Else - Eno/Lanois, with Thomas
6. City Of Blinding Lights - Flood w/Thomas and Jacknife Lee
7. Yahweh(Alt) - Thomas
8. All Because Of You(Alt) - Thomas
9. Xanax And Wine - Thomas
10. A Man And A Woman - Lee
11. Mercy - ?
12. One Step Closer - Lanois/Thomas

Only change is I dropped OOTS, because the whole underlying point is to escape the Lillywhite over-cooked-ness, and OOTS is Lillywhite. As evidenced by the production credits, Lillywhite's influence is all but excised in this running order, so may as well drop OOTS. The song goes back to the ATYCLB era, but whatever earlier versions there are are not available to us, except for that ten seconds or whatever in that 60 minutes piece.

Incidentally, does anyone know where I can find that 60 minutes piece(or even just audio of the OOTS part)? I know it's only a very short clip of OOTS, but it's been years and years since I've heard it and I don't even remember what it sounds like, so I'm curious.

Also, I'm assuming Mercy wasn't Lillywhite-produced, but I can't be sure. There's no official production credit. It was one of the last tracks recorded, apparently, which would seem to indicate Lillywhite, but it doesn't sound like him at all, so...

I think I've discussed Bomb more in this last series of posts than I have in years.

All Because of You is possibly my least favorite U2 song. There's nothing about it that I like.

I think I haven't listened to HTDAAB in years. And as much as I like NLOTH (comparing to this era's material), I rarely listen to it anyways. ATYCLB is probably the post-2000s album I listen to more often, even though it's not my favorite of this period.

maybe it's because i've only listened to the miracle twice (i think i only listened to soi twice) but the line makes no fucking sense to me. it's like cut-up lyrics, except the end result is complete shit.

i'm also fucking sick of their long and clunky song titles.

maybe it's because i've only listened to the miracle twice (i think i only listened to soi twice) but the line makes no fucking sense to me. it's like cut-up lyrics, except the end result is complete shit.

i'm also fucking sick of their long and clunky song titles.

Like I said before, I'll never understand why so many of you are so relentlessly hung up on this lyric. Like seriously, it's not that big of a deal.

Is there anyone else here besides me who actually really likes the song?

Like I said before, I'll never understand why so many of you are so relentlessly hung up on this lyric. Like seriously, it's not that big of a deal.

Is there anyone else here besides me who actually really likes the song?

It's a good song, not great but good; much better than Elevation or Vertigo as songs go. Now I'll admit those two play better live. And I'll never understand the argument that it's "overwritten", that term just doesn't apply to this song.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's a good song, not great but good; much better than Elevation or Vertigo as songs go. Now I'll admit those two play better live. And I'll never understand the argument that it's "overwritten", that term just doesn't apply to this song.

Nice to see another fan. Thought at the I+E show I was at, it played pretty darn well. I mean, not as well as Elevation or Vertigo, which as you say are natural live songs, but still, pretty darn well.

I don't know how you manage to overlook it. Sure, the "little old lady" line of Stand Up Comedy is worse, but this one still makes me wince every time.

I don't know how you manage to overlook it. Sure, the "little old lady" line of Stand Up Comedy is worse, but this one still makes me wince every time.

They're not even comparable. One is an odd analogy that doesn't really work, the other is just a case of using one or two more words than you would've liked, I just can't understand why it's so bothersome. We'll probably never see eye to eye on it.

I felt like this too back when people were making such a stink about the ATM machine thing in MOS. I thought that was an equally ridiculous hangup on a lyric.

Using one or two words too many isn't a huge deal unless it's the hook of the song. And, in this case, it is. That was the big, singalong moment of the lead single from the new U2 album. It's a big dud.

It is a mildly better hook than "get on your boots, sexy boots," of course. Let's not take that for granted.

They're not even comparable. One is an odd analogy that doesn't really work, the other is just a case of using one or two more words than you would've liked, I just can't understand why it's so bothersome. We'll probably never see eye to eye on it.

I felt like this too back when people were making such a stink about the ATM machine thing in MOS. I thought that was an equally ridiculous hangup on a lyric.

It's not "using one or two more words than I would've liked". It's a redundant expression, like "ATM machine". It's bad writing.

No, I'm wondering what you're seeing as a redundancy in that particular Miracle lyric?

"At the moment". "I woke up when the miracle occurred" expresses exactly the same thing as "I woke up at the moment when the miracle occurred".

If your comeback is that it doesn't fit the meter, that's no excuse for throwing in three superfluous, unnecessary words to form a clunky expression. Write something better.

"At the moment". "I woke up when the miracle occurred" expresses exactly the same thing as "I woke up at the moment when the miracle occurred".

If your comeback is that it doesn't fit the meter, that's no excuse for throwing in three superfluous, unnecessary words to form a clunky expression. Write something better.

Ok, I get what you're saying as far as he could have reduced the line, but it's not exactly a redundancy line like the atm line. The 'at the moment' isn't exactly superfluous. In theologian speak, there's a lot of discussion about the story of the birth of Jesus, and if "the three wise men" actually showed up at the moment of the birth, or after they heard about the birth. And that might seem like a small detail, but it's not. It puts to question the whole nativity scene.

The "at the moment" is an important part of the lyric, he's trying to express that he was there to witness it, not just a disciple afterwards.

Last edited:

Devil's advocate, 'at the moment when the miracle occurred' could be thought to intentionally designate a more precise place in time, because 'when the miracle occurred' could refer to the moment, the hour, the day, or whatever, the miracle occurred. Where you see redundancy, I see precision.

Furthermore, if all he wanted to say is 'I woke up when the miracle occurred', maybe he didn't want to say anything else in that line and so added a few words to match the meter.

Just out of curiosity, if he had removed the words in question and not replaced them at all, and just stretched the existing words out, like 'I wo-o-oke u-up when the miracle occurred', would that have been better in your estimation?

I realize I'm coming off defensive, and it's not that I'm so protective of the lyric, I just find the objections to it, the notion that one can't enjoy the song because of it or whatever, to be way OTT. But I guess I'm in the minority.

I fell asleep at the moment when namkcuR's alt track lists occurred
It was the worst series of posts I'd ever heard

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom