Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is that -aside from wishful thinking in the main album forum - there is absolutely nothing whatsoever going on.

New rumor is that they got cold feet again and scrapped plans for a single/album release this year.

Which would be, yep, you guessed it, pathetic.

If it is true that they got cold feet - again - I'd have to suggest they stop and think about what's the worst thing that could happen? It not being a huge hit? It won't be a huge hit. Those days are done. So what's the very worst that could happen? Larry beats the shit out of Bono in Central Park again?

But some person called Kygo remixed a tune and in a bootleg from a DJ set people started singing along with the chorus the third time around. U2 CAN REECH TEH KIDZ! REMIX THE WHOLE ALBUM!

So Gabe and Mikal don't have insider info? My life has been turned upside down.

What are you talking about? I just talked to Bono on the phone yesterday. But I didn't ask him about the album. We just discussed the baaaaaaaad lyrics. [emoji6]

It's astonishing how willing a lot of fans are to believe that some rando like chrisedge would have inside information. That said, it is shitty to troll an entire forum with false information. One should be banned for that shit.

It's astonishing how willing a lot of fans are to believe that some rando like chrisedge would have inside information. That said, it is shitty to troll an entire forum with false information. One should be banned for that shit.

Wait, what? "Rando"? If you've listened to a U2 bootleg you've probably heard stuff by Chrisedge - and sharebear. They are both very well known members of the taping community and two people I consider very credible.

Wait, what? "Rando"? If you've listened to a U2 bootleg you've probably heard stuff by Chrisedge - and sharebear. They are both very well known members of the taping community and two people I consider very credible.

That may be so, but bootlegging has no implicit connection to official sources.

Every album cycle we get this same drama. Someone comes in claiming to have a reputable tip. It invariably turns out to be bullshit, and when people ask for clarification, the original poster either:

A) Feigns outage at having their credibility questioned
or
B) Claims they can't reveal the source because then they would never be trusted with info again.

These are both incredibly convenient deflections.

You're a historian, right? You would never trust that kind of source in your research.

Every album cycle we get this same drama. Someone comes in claiming to have a reputable tip. It invariably turns out to be bullshit, and when people ask for clarification, the original poster either:

or
B) Claims they can't reveal the source because then they would never be trusted with info again.

You're a historian, right? You would never trust that kind of source in your research.

Yep and as much as I respect their tapings, their sources aren't really close enough to the inner circle to really put a lot of faith in either way.

or

Defence B may be convenient but it is pretty reasonable. If I had a source, I wouldn't go around telling people who it is. I don't have any sources now, but I had a fairly good one for some rehearsals in 2014 and he made clear that the moment I identified him publicly he'd stop sharing details. Sure, a lot of the rumours we get are hearsay or from a tunnel of whispers, and rarely of the standard we'd accept for academic research, but as far as what we're going to get on Interference, these are two respected members of the fan community who aren't just going to set fire to their reputations.

It raises the question of what the point is of sharing a source anyway. If a song is going to drop in two days, then everyone is ecstatic when in drops and no one gives a damn about the source. If you claim it will drop and then it doesn't, you look like a dick, a troll, or some combination of the two.

Can we do some shuttlecock polling?

Last Classic Album:
All That You Can't Leave Behind
Last Great Album: No Line On The Horizon

Last Classic Song: City Of Blinding Lights
Recent Great Songs (Ordinary Love-onward): California

Just kind of curious. And I love that this was like the one sane place on the forum where SOI was given a reality check. The next album could be Bono covering Michelle Branch and most of the forum would love it because it's new and says U2 on the package.

I'm not sure what the distinction between 'classic' and 'great' is, but I'll assume 'classic' is more to do with public perception while 'great' is more to do with subjective musical quality. Using those definitions...

Last Classic Album: ATYCLB
Last Great Album: Pop

Last Classic Song: Vertigo or COBL
Last Great Song: Honestly, could be any of a few from SOI - The Troubles, Sleep Like A Baby, Raised By Wolves, Cedarwood Road, Crystal Ballroom.

But again, the terms weren't well defined, so...:shrug:

Not even sure I understand what "classic" means.

Either way, ATYCLB ain't it.

I don't know what he meant, but like I said, I took it to mean in terms of public perception. Like, what the casual U2 fan would think of when you say 'classic u2 albums'. Joshua, Achtung, ATYCLB. Of course in here, most of us would put UF and Zooropa and Pop and probably Boy and War ahead of it, but that's us, not the casual listener.

Not clear on the classic/great distinction myself, but I'd say U2's last great song is Gone and last great album is Passengers.

But I think if I had genuine inside info, I wouldn't share it. I hate that coy "insider" bullshit anyway, and besides, I'd like to be trusted by my sources to not blab all over the internet

It's amazing how hard it is not to blab sometimes. I had to keep myself in check a couple of times before the tour with info I didn't have permission to share.

It's funny, the only bit of info that would've really sent me through the roof, I never got: I was as surprised as anyone when they debuted The Electric Co. Sure I knew Edge had run through the riff early in rehearsals, we all did, but I never took that report as an indication of anything more serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom