Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In all seriousness it's probably worth drawing a distinction where a song was first made famous by a person who didn't write it. So Sinead O'Connor didn't write Nothing Compares 2 U, nor did Carly Simon write You're So Vain, but... you get the picture. Love is Blindness, well, I guess it's not famous as such, although it would be familiar to anyone who attended the ZooTV tour. Probably among the reality-tv-talent-show set, it is likely to be treated the way One is; like the most recent mainstream version that is known of. I'm not sure those people are a great guide to anything.

U2 sort of fucked this up by not playing the song since 1993. It's a top 10 song by them and it's now missed five straight tours.

love is blindness is not, nor has it ever been, "famous" at all.

No, but White's cover got some attention for being in that movie. Which in my mind is the only reason it's being performed on reality tv shows and used in commercials. I mean, they're obviously aping White's version, and there's no other reason I can think of why that song would be used like this after being ignored completely for 20+ years. That's all I was saying.

Pretty sure Ali and Bono were fond of Yves Saint Laurent the designer anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think another interesting one is 'Hallelujah', it wasn't until Jeff Buckley recorded it that everyone and their fucking grandmother wanted to cover it.

Um, what?!

What do you mean, 'what'? I could be miles off - not a Carly Simon afficianado - but I thought I read once that Mick Jagger wrote that song for her.

As I say, if I'm wrong I'm wrong. It doesn't greatly exercise me.

Unbenownst to me for the longest time, Nick Cave's 'O Children' seems to have been picked up on some unlikely radars after it - apparently? - was included in one of the Harry Potter movies. Hasn't been covered though, to my knowledge.

Last edited:
For a while there fifteen or twenty years ago, every man and their dog was covering 'Under the Milky Way' by The Church, but that seems to have died down with the passing of the generations and the turning of the wheel.

What do you mean, 'what'? I could be miles off - not a Carly Simon afficianado - but I thought I read once that Mick Jagger wrote that song for her.

As I say, if I'm wrong I'm wrong. It doesn't greatly exercise me.

No, Simon wrote the song. The only connection Jagger has to it, is that he may have sung some uncredited backup vocals, and that she very vocally stated the song was not about him when a journalist once asked her.

No, Simon wrote the song. The only connection Jagger has to it, is that he may have sung some uncredited backup vocals, and that she very vocally stated the song was not about him when a journalist once asked her.

Ah damnit, that's right. Backing vocals. Yeah, I knew he was involved somehow.

Yes, although I can't remember which one. Harry and Hermoine dance in a tent to it, and it was quite effective.

I must admit I have never watched the Harry Potter films and so it was disconcerting seeing a bunch of people on Youtube commenting on the song pretty much exclusively from within that frame.

Didn't UB40 write Red Red Wine?

ha yeah I realized about two decades ago that all of their hits were cover songs.

...but it was harder to know these things before the internet. Not a lot of Al Green being played in Utah when I was growing up :)

Yes, although I can't remember which one. Harry and Hermoine dance in a tent to it, and it was quite effective.

It was Deathly Hallows, Part I.

I'm not a Harry Potter fan (never read the books, only cared for a few of the films), but that was a really memorable scene.

U2 sort of fucked this up by not playing the song since 1993. It's a top 10 song by them and it's now missed five straight tours.

Well... to be very nitpicky...
(But OK, it was apparently once on the Vertigo Tour, so it certainly is in for a resurrection)

I'm *really* behind. Is there anything going on at all? Like 3 weeks ago I saw someone on Facebook post that they were about to go on tour and tickets were going on sale soon...:huh:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom