Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I listen to the last two live albums we got from the U2.com fanclub quite a bit while working out. I REALLY hope we get a Songs of Experience tour CD this next year. I killed my membership this year with the crap "gift".

I'd love a new U2 album each and every day of the week, but if we don't get one this year, whatevs. There are other things to listen to and gush over. No lack of awesome music out there.

I just saw a perfume commercial featuring a cover version of Love is Blindness I had never heard of. I wasn't even watching TV, but I only clued in at the end that it was LIB and then confirmed it when I replayed the commercial.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

I just saw a perfume commercial featuring a cover version of Love is Blindness I had never heard of. I wasn't even watching TV, but I only clued in at the end that it was LIB and then confirmed it when I replayed the commercial.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

Im assuming you've heard the Jack White cover so who did this one?

So now we can officially say they have sold out. The Vertigo commercials were one thing, but this is just 100% a product shill. Sure someone else is singing, but its their song.

So now we can officially say they have sold out. The Vertigo commercials were one thing, but this is just 100% a product shill. Sure someone else is singing, but its their song.

Does it even matter in 2016?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I don't care that the song is used in a commercial, but I am bugged by that performance. It's obviously inspired by the Jack White version. I've seen a couple people sing the song that way on the Voice as well. It irritates me that there could be a generation of teens and people in their early twenties who think it's a Jack White song and have never even heard of Achtung Baby.

Generally speaking, U2's original, more restrained version is always the best. That said, White's cover is also great. He can pull off the more aggressive take on it because he's Jack White. These other people though, don't do it as well.

Look at these girls singing it on The Voice:

I don't even think a majority of the people who even see the commercial will know or bother to look into the fact that the song is a 25 year old U2 song.

Yeah, and because it's someone else singing I'm not really sure U2 can do much to prevent it. I'm no expert in copyright law of course, but I believe it's a bit harder to stop a company from using a cover of your song in a commercial. It's also a reason why you hear so many sound-alikes in so many other commercials instead of the original version.
But if U2 really gave the go-ahead themselves then this stinks.

I don't even think a majority of the people who even see the commercial will know or bother to look into the fact that the song is a 25 year old U2 song.

That's what I just said in my post. A whole generation is going to think it's a Jack White song.

i mean, there's probably a generation that thinks "the man who sold the world" is a nirvana song.

i mean, there's probably a generation that thinks "nothing compares 2 u" is a sinead o'connor song.

i mean, there's probably a generation that thinks "crazy little thing called love" is a queen song.

i mean, there's probably a generation that thinks "twist and shout" is a beatles song.

i mean, there's probably a generation that thinks "blue suede shoes" is an elvis song.

:shrug:

lol okay i got one wrong :wink:

i mean, there's probably a generation that thinks "stuck in the middle with you" isn't a bob dylan song.

i mean, there's probably a generation that thinks "the man who sold the world" is a nirvana song.

i mean, there's probably a generation that thinks "nothing compares 2 u" is a sinead o'connor song.

i mean, there's probably a generation that thinks "crazy little thing called love" is a queen song.

i mean, there's probably a generation that thinks "twist and shout" is a beatles song.

i mean, there's probably a generation that thinks "blue suede shoes" is an elvis song.

:shrug:
Plenty of folks think All Along The Watchtower is a Hendrix song, there's lots of examples. But I don't recall Jack White's LIB being any kind of big hit like the others you mention.

I understand & agree, just that White's song never hit big with the mainstream anyway,

This is true, but the way it's being performed in the commercial and by those voice contestants, there's no way they're imitating the original recording.

Also, White's version was used in the Great Gatsby soundtrack, I think that's where it got its attention from.

I always thought "Here I Am" was a UB40 song. Of course I also thought the lead singer was Jamaican

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom