Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Studio Bad is better than 95% of music but it's not in the same league as the live version, the 2nd most beloved live song (behind Streets) of one of the world's best live bands.

bad live might be the best live song ever, by any musical act in history.

bad studio is still motherfucking bad. it's ethereal.

What is with multiple people offering TUF playlists that don't begin with A Sort of Homecoming? Like, are you insane? What a phenomenal album opener.

Try this track listing on for size then:

1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. The Three Sunrises
3. Pride
4. Disappearing Act
5. Elvis Presley and America
6. Promenade
7. Love Comes Tumbling
8. Boomerang II
9. Indian Summer Sky
10. Wire
11. The Unforgettable Fire
12. 4th of July
13. Bad
14. MLK

It's got a big, bright opening with Disappearing Act serving as an emotional pivot to a moodier, more romantic run of songs. Elvis Presley and America may look out of place, but it pairs extremely well with Disappearing Act thanks to Larry's similar drum work and its ethereal ending is an excellent bridge into Promenade. Boomerang II transitions smoothly out of Love Comes Tumbling while starting a run of dark, thematically heavy material that climaxes with Bad. MLK serves as the denouement.

Last edited:
I won't call Indian Summer Sky overrated, cos it isn't really popular, but I've never got the love from the likes of Ax. Bit of a nothing song as far as I'm concerned. Only the "you give yourself to this the longest day" part stands out to me.

Bad should have closed The Unforgettable Fire. If you're going to keep MLK, I guess I'd put it ahead of Unforgettable Fire like they used to do live. But it's very cuttable.

Was just thinking about this...which album is the strongest without any of its singles?

Twilight
An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
Stories For Boys
The Ocean
Another Time Another Place
The Electric Co.
Shadows And Tall Trees

I Fall Down
I Threw A Brick
Rejoice
Tomorrow
October
With A Shout
Stranger In A Strange Land
Scarlet
Is That All

Seconds
Like A Song
Drowning Man
The Refugee
Red Light
Surrender

ASOH
Wire
Promenade
4th
Bad
Indian Summer Sky
Elvis
MLK

Bullet
RTSS
Red Hill
Trip Through
Exit
MOTD

VDL
Hawkmoon 269
Love Rescue Me
Heartland
God Part II

Zoo Station
Until The End Of The World
So Cruel
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
Ultraviolet(Light My Way)
Acrobat
Love Is Blindness

Zooropa
Babyface
Daddy's Gonna Pay
Some Days
First Time
Dirty Day
The Wanderer

Do You Feel Loved
Gone
Miami
The Playboy Mansion
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Wake Up Dead Man

Kite
In A Little While
Wild Honey
Peace On Earth
When I Look At The World
New York
Grace

Miracle Drug
Love And Peace Or Else
A Man And A Woman
Crumbs From Your Table
One Step Closer
Yahweh

No Line On The Horizon
Moment Of Surrender
Unknown Caller
Stand Up Comedy
Fez-Being Born
Breathe
White As Snow
Cedars Of Lebanon

California
Iris
Volcano
Raised By Wolves
Cedarwood Road
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
The Troubles

I don't know the answer to that, but it reminds me of how mind blowing it is to stop and reflect that Bad wasn't actually ever a single. I mean, Jesus. Though I guess it got some single-like exposure because of the big Live Aid moment.

Well, as a fan of a good alt tracklist, this is the UF I've used for years.

1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. The Three Sunrises
3. Boomerang II
4. Wire
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Promenade
7. Bass Trap
8. Bad
9. Indian Summer Sky
10. Love Comes Tumbling
11. Elvis Presley and America
12. MLK
13. Pride

I didn't want to break up Wire/UF, which I've always thought works well on the album, so pairing MLK/Pride thematically is a good option instead. It also solves the problem of Pride otherwise sticking out like a sore thumb. Putting it at the end means you build to it with MLK as an atmospheric link, and it's a big emphatic uplifting closer. I use it on the album in the same capacity as U2 used it to close the main set live for many years.

As for the albums without singles, obviously UF fares well because it had so few singles drawn from it anyway. Boy also still looks very strong. Pop suffers maybe a bit more than I expected, even with the criminal decision to never make Gone a single.

I don't know the answer to that, but it reminds me of how mind blowing it is to stop and reflect that Bad wasn't actually ever a single. I mean, Jesus. Though I guess it got some single-like exposure because of the big Live Aid moment.

The live version from the Wideawake EP did get a lot of radio AirPlay. It still does to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Ending an album with a song as poppy/catchy as Pride makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Also, I don't like MLK as a closer, but I do agree with Axver that it would work better as a segue into (or out of) Pride. Just not that far into the tracklisting.

Re: El Mel's list, I enjoy Disappearing Act well enough, but the 2000s-era vocals and lyrics render it unusable for a legit tracklisting.

Last edited:
Don't have it in front of me, but I think mine is something like this...
1 - Pride
2 - Boomerang II
3 - Love Comes Tumbling
4 - The Unforgettable Fire
5 - Promenade
6 - The Three Sunrises
7 - Bass Trap
8 - A Sort of Homecoming
9 - Elvis Presley and America
10 - Bad
11 - Yoshino Blossom
12 - Wire
13 - MLK

So I dug mine up after this one didn't seem quite right. I made up this tracklist when I was much more fresh with the music, I was kinda guessing on most of the one I posted earlier.

1 - A Sort of Homecoming
2 - Wire
3 - The Unforgettable Fire
4 - MLK
5 - Pride
6 - The Three Sunrises
7 - Promenade
8 - Bass Trap
9 - Bad
10 - Loves Comes Tumbling
11 - Yoshino Blossom
12 - Boomerang II
13 - Indian Summer Sky
14 - Elvis Presley and America

Elvis Presley may seem like an odd closer, but I love albums that are full circle and Elvis Presley was obviously born out of ASOH. And also, it is very hard to find a closer for this album.
I love The Three Sunrises, but because it is so clearly built to be an opener, it is hard to find a spot for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of alt tracklists really. I'm a purist like that.

Same, niels. Never interested me much. I don't like pretending albums are better than they really are :lol:

They're really silly, so much revisionist history and irrelevant opinion. Including songs that weren't remotely finished, or in many cases even written at the same time, with album tracks and pretending your imaginary tracklist is relevant? No thanks. Even if they're all from the exact same recording session, I don't see the relevance or appeal.

Every "alternate" tracklist ever: "Hey guyz, this album would have been better for me if it included all my favorite songs and didn't include my least favorite songs!" Really?! Genius!

Last edited:
Sounds upbeat ala The Crystal Ballroom. Also, Bono's Beach House is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah, they're down but I was able to catch one of them this morning. It was bouncy and very catchy, with Bono saying something like "I've got everything but still feel like nothing" or something along those lines. I liked it immediately.

These are the first beach clips I've ever listened to.

It's neither here nor there, it just is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom