Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit, I'm just listening to Luminous Times and Walk to the Water, these songs are fucking incredible.

And they're b-sides. How fucking criminal. They're both better than 90 per cent of everything they or any artist have ever done.

the first u2 album i ever heard and paid attention to was the best of 1980-90, which i got for xmas 1998.

those two songs were my absolute favourites for a while at first. once i realized they were actually b-sides - so how good must the stuff on the actual albums be? - i started digging.

i dunno about better than 90% of what any artist has ever done (bruh :rolleyes: ), but they are criminally underrated along with love comes tumbing.

It's scary to think what reaction you'd get after persuading someone who only knows 2000s and 2010s Bono and co. to listen right through to Achtung Baby, Zooropa, maybe also The Joshua Tree and Best of 80s b-sides for the first time.

It would be an eye-opener, I imagine.

The conversion has begun. My girlfriend loves Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses. She's angry, but just as I've always suspected, no one can deny the '2 forever.

If you're talking about the Temple Bar mix and not the studio version I will fly out to Melbourne and throttle you in person.

Holy shit, I'm just listening to Luminous Times and Walk to the Water, these songs are fucking incredible.

And they're b-sides. How fucking criminal. They're both better than 90 per cent of everything they or any artist have ever done.

Deep in the Heart, Luminous Times, and Walk the Water are all pretty good songs from that era.

those two songs were my absolute favourites for a while at first. once i realized they were actually b-sides - so how good must the stuff on the actual albums be? - i started digging.

At the risk of sounding contrarian, I don't feel these songs are quite as golden as many Interfererencers feel. They're very good, but I don't like them better than anything on the album (no, not even Trip Through Your Wires), and I'm not convinced JT would be better as a double album.

Also, I'd put Salome and all of the Pop b-sides (North And South Of The River, Holy Joe, I'm Not Your Baby) above it.

Yeah there's no way the Joshua Tree would have been better as a double album, but I definitely think that the addition of Luminous Times and Spanish Eyes, and the removal of Trip Through Your Wires, would have improved it.

If you're talking about the Temple Bar mix and not the studio version I will fly out to Melbourne and throttle you in person.

Why the fuck would I be talking about the Temple Bar Mix? Of course I mean the album version. Which, by the way, is so beautiful with good headphones. The intro has layers that I'd never heard until I got good headphones.

Spanish Eyes is overrated. I'd leave JT alone as well, although MOTD has always been my least favourite.

People who don't rate Mothers of the Disappeared lack a soul and/or are friggin' Cobbler.

Friggin'.

Walk To The Water is so good. Along with Loves Come Tumbling it's my favorite U2 b-side.

And now that I mentioned that song, how criminal is it that Love Comes Tumbling is not on TUF? I can't even imagine someone deciding it's not good enough for the album. How does that happen? If they'd replaced Indian Summer Sky with that song or just added it, The Unforgettable Fire would be my favorite album. It's now still slightly behind Achtung.

I agree with you that Love Comes Tumbling should have been on UF (and The Three Sunrises too), but I'm baffled you would chuck out a song as good as Indian Summer Sky. I'd much sooner cut 4th of July, MLK, or even Elvis Presley and America, to keep it. I don't know why it's been a perennial Interference whipping boy; it's a fantastic track.

Yeah I forgot about 4th of July. I wouldn't miss that song either. I actually still like Indian Summer Sky. I was just imagining that they'd want to keep the album short, and thus only with 10 tracks.

I think I had an alt playlist of UF for a while that looked like this:

Three Sunrises
A Sort Of Homecoming
Wire
Pride
Unforgettable Fire
Promenade
Bad
Indian Summer Sky
Elvis Presley (I actually like this song)
Love Comes Tumbling
MLK

At the risk of sounding contrarian, I don't feel these songs are quite as golden as many Interfererencers feel. They're very good, but I don't like them better than anything on the album (no, not even Trip Through Your Wires), and I'm not convinced JT would be better as a double album.

Also, I'd put Salome and all of the Pop b-sides (North And South Of The River, Holy Joe, I'm Not Your Baby) above it.

:up:
People who don't rate Mothers of the Disappeared lack a soul and/or are friggin' Cobbler.

Friggin'.

how criminal is it that Love Comes Tumbling is not on TUF? I can't even imagine someone deciding it's not good enough for the album.

Even more criminal that they decided to put 4th of July on the album instead of Bass Trap.
I think I had an alt playlist of UF for a while that looked like this:

Three Sunrises
A Sort Of Homecoming
Wire
Pride
Unforgettable Fire
Promenade
Bad
Indian Summer Sky
Elvis Presley (I actually like this song)
Love Comes Tumbling
MLK

Don't have it in front of me, but I think mine is something like this...
1 - Pride
2 - Boomerang II
3 - Love Comes Tumbling
4 - The Unforgettable Fire
5 - Promenade
6 - The Three Sunrises
7 - Bass Trap
8 - A Sort of Homecoming
9 - Elvis Presley and America
10 - Bad
11 - Yoshino Blossom
12 - Wire
13 - MLK

I like to think of Bass Trap as sort of the album intermission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disappearing Act is great too, glad they got around to finishing it 25 years later..

I think The Three Sunrises is really close to my favourite b-side

Yeah there's no way the Joshua Tree would have been better as a double album, but I definitely think that the addition of Luminous Times and Spanish Eyes, and the removal of Trip Through Your Wires, would have improved it.

while i wouldn't have minded if trip through your wires was swapped originally with spanish eyes/luminous times, i wouldn't change them now. joshua tree as it is from start to finish is a work of art that although i may not be the biggest fan of ttyw, the whole thing would be different without it.

Walk To The Water is so good. Along with Loves Come Tumbling it's my favorite U2 b-side.

And now that I mentioned that song, how criminal is it that Love Comes Tumbling is not on TUF? I can't even imagine someone deciding it's not good enough for the album. How does that happen? If they'd replaced Indian Summer Sky with that song or just added it, The Unforgettable Fire would be my favorite album. It's now still slightly behind Achtung.

I agree with you that Love Comes Tumbling should have been on UF (and The Three Sunrises too), but I'm baffled you would chuck out a song as good as Indian Summer Sky. I'd much sooner cut 4th of July, MLK, or even Elvis Presley and America, to keep it. I don't know why it's been a perennial Interference whipping boy; it's a fantastic track.

same thing as jt - love comes tumbling is hands-down my favourite non-album track and probably in my top 5 overall, but tuf would have been too different with it on there.

Stay away from 4th of July.

It's better than MLK.

very much this. 4th of july is the best atmospheric guitar work the edge has ever made. period.

I just replace Elvis with Love Comes Tumbling and I'm good.
i'm gonna replace you with elvis presley and america. :grumpy:

very much this. 4th of july is the best atmospheric guitar work the edge has ever made. period.
agreed. it's not my favourite track off of the album or anything, but listening to the song within the context of the album, i love it.

image18.jpg

There's a lot to be said for flow, and context, isn't there. An album - I mean a proper album - is more than simply a collection of songs on one disc, where you go, 'hey this one's awesome too, shove it in somewhere.' Sometimes things fit just as they are. And honestly, as I've probably said in the past, I'm not one for messing with album tracklists unless the artist deserves it (which is to say, their album was a mess to begin with in which case, why am I bothering).

4th of July isn't any more or less than what it is, but it leads perfectly into 'Bad'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom