Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt - Page 63 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 11:46 AM   #931
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:00 AM
I literally still have not heard either of those songs on the radio, and I'm still a fairly committed terrestrial radio listener. I only have heard EBW once in public as I mentioned when it happened while eating lunch last year at Raising Cane's. And the stations I listen to all play U2 on a pretty consistent basis. One is an iHeart station (WHJY in Providence) who was pushing the festival specifically by pushing U2 as headliner. They play plenty of U2, but I've never heard them play either of those songs. Only song from SOI I heard on radio a few times in the release aftermath was Cedarwood Road.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #932
Blue Crack Addict

every single artist on the bill either has new music recently released or is releasing new music shortly, which they promoted at the festival. that's the whole point of this festival, to promote your new music using the huge iheart radio platform at the very start of the holiday buying season.

there was, however, one exception.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #933
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
This isn't even that strong though. First of all, the best versions of Desire feature Adam's bass way the fuck up, which this has a little of. But Bono's passion in this video comes off a little lacklustre to me. It's a long way from Fuck the Revolution.

Still, at least it's something. And more overtly political than any other huge act would probably dare to be.

What do the Trump fans in FYM think of this?

Bono has had a love affair with the Clintons since the 90s. They played at the opening of their library. They played Amaaw live to honor Chelsea's wedding. Bono gave to the Clinton Foundation. Worked with state to get the ISS feed for 360.

I think Bono is having a knee-jerk reaction to a candidate who wants to dramatically reduce the refugee flow. Opposite of Bono's worldview. Love and Peace through American benevolence is what Bono wants out of our country.

It's a combination of helping his allies and getting the spotlight on refugees.

That being said I enjoyed the performance. Bono doesn't realize that Trump is saying 'the American dream is dead' for many in the working class. I saw his video presence to demonstrate the dichotomy in viewpoints. Bono's American Dream of multiculturalism and full fledged immigration may be dead.

He did such a great bipartisan job in getting funding for Africa back in the Bush administration. He is using his political capital now making a strong statement. May lose some of it later if Trump wins.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 09-25-2016, 12:36 PM   #934
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
every single artist on the bill either has new music recently released or is releasing new music shortly, which they promoted at the festival. that's the whole point of this festival, to promote your new music using the huge iheart radio platform at the very start of the holiday buying season.

And I think it makes a huge difference that, as you mention, the other artists already have something released. If you're telling me someone else on the bill took it as a moment to say, "Surprise! We have a new album out next month and here's a brand new song to go along with it," then cool. I'm wrong, and I'll accept that. I don't really care, because seriously, U2 clearly didn't give two shits about this show, and the fact of the matter is it doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things. It really, really doesn't. It was 45 minutes and we'll go on.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #935
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
U2 clearly didn't give two shits about this show
and there's the rub. if you really truly want to be musically relevant, you can't not give two shits about a show like this.

they say they want one thing and then do the exact opposite of the things they need to do to achieve it. and i still believe that if they genuinely wanted to, they could actually get there - there is a definite vacuum in the mainstream market for rock bands right now just waiting to be filled, and u2 already has the platform to do it - which is why i'm so frustrated when they just phone in something like this.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #936
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:00 AM
Quote:

False

Idol played nothing new.

One Republic nothing new.

Sia played material from her latest but it's been out for awhile.

So I'm not sure where you're getting this from.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #937
Blue Crack Addict

billy idol - okay, but nobody's given a shit about billy idol since the 80s...

onerepublic has a new album coming out in 2 weeks, and they played the new single off it after debuting it at the apple music festival last week: OneRepublic Debuts New Song "Let's Hurt Tonight" Live

sia's album was released less than 9 months ago and the tour promoting it starts on thursday.

try google next time.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #938
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh snap, Sia's tour starts in Seattle at the show I'll be at. Nifty!
Old 09-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #939
Blue Crack Distributor

I watched the pilot of Queen Sugar (a new soap opera/drama on the Oprah network) last night, and it was very good. Then they pulled out Drowning Man for the last scene, which was fucking awesome.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:24 PM   #940
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:00 AM
Quote:
billy idol - okay, but nobody's given a shit about billy idol since the 80s...

onerepublic has a new album coming out in 2 weeks, and they played the new single off it after debuting it at the apple music festival last week: OneRepublic Debuts New Song "Let's Hurt Tonight" Live

sia's album was released less than 9 months ago and the tour promoting it starts on thursday.

try google next time.

I did: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/onerep...-2bfdf4d2.html

Old 09-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #941
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Well, Bono said the album is coming out next year. So the band isn't going to promote what's not ready.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #942
She's the One

They don't want to release it before it's ready!11!! Look what happened to Pop!!1!!!1
Old 09-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #943
Blue Crack Addict

god forbid they actually work hard enough to make it ready in time.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #944
Blue Crack Distributor

LOL.

https://www.facebook.com/u2/videos/1...6/?pnref=story
Old 09-25-2016, 03:25 PM   #945
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm cleaning out closets and whatnot before the big move, and found a diary from 1997. Detailed notes on the PopMart show I saw (my 2nd time seeing U2).

- I was in row 11, not in row 16 as I had remembered. Ooooh. The big time.

- I paid $160 for my ticket. In my memory it was over $200. My one and only scalped ticket I've ever bought. Totally worth it.

- My note for Pride - "cool sing along, but I think I'm kind of sick of this song."

In 1997.