Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt - Page 62 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 04:22 PM   #916
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:46 AM
Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Plus the Stones have a new album in the works, my bet is we see that before SOE.
Also expecting it before SOE.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #917
45:33

Local Time: 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I don't expect them to be prolific in releasing music, and honestly don't even need it at this point. I'm tired of the struggle for relevancy because it prevents them touring, IMO, which is the main thing I wish they'd do more of, and if they WEREN'T supporting an album, maybe they'd be more willing to adopt the mantle and start doing fans pleasing shows, ie varied set lists.

It's time to hang THAT part up. I was selfish for a long time in thinking I didn't want that. That I wanted new music, but if Bruce is anything to go by, if you just let that part go, the relevancy part, you end up MORE prolific.

Bruce is the other one I was gonna bring up. Great post. It's infuriating they can't see what they could be.

I too would much rather they tour more regularly than wait interminable amounts of time for new music that doesn't end up being all that great anyway.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #918
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:46 AM
Catching up on some youtube vids from last night, they didn't sound too bad at all.

Also Billy Idol sounded great, hope he embarks on a tour when he finishes his Vegas residency.
And Miley Cyrus needs to learn to shut the F up when Steve Stevens is shredding a solo, that's a Bono-esque move right there.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:28 AM   #919
A childless dog

Local Time: 10:46 PM
Really don't get the righteous indignation over the performance either. People are threatening to leave the board and abandon their fandom when, at the very least, we got to see the band at their most unapologetically political in a long time. That's a great thing.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:49 AM   #920
Vocal parasite

Seriously, that performance of Desire made me think we were in for a classic electrifying set. Following it with Vertigo did nothing to change that. Hell, even Elevation I understood as a decent choice for a festival crowd, but the wheels started coming off then.

I do wish some of the choices after the opening duo (maybe trio) had been different, and that U2 had taken better advantage of the situation. In particular I'm concerned about the obvious questions that have been raised about their interest/work ethic/decisionmaking. But this really wasn't too far from what I expected.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-25-2016, 07:50 AM   #921
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:46 AM
I was surprised how outspoken the band is in their anti-Trump stance. Not that I thought they would be supportive of him, but in the last 15 years they (and especially Bono) did not commit themselves to a political candidate. Bono would need their support for his ONE/DATA causes. And probably thought he could find common ground with them, despite not agreeing to their overall political philosophy.
I guess he knows that with a Trump presidency helping those in need together with the US government is a lost cause. Though I (and probably many others) am glad to see this old Bono back.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:38 AM   #922
Refugee

That performance of Desire is saying 'this is what the rest of the set could be like if we weren't terrified of playing anything other than our safest material' which is arguably worse than if they hadn't played it at all.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:46 AM   #923
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:46 PM
"You know something? You're a fucking ugly son of a bitch..."
Old 09-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #924
Refugee

It'd only be more (im)perfect if they'd thrown in a snippet of So You Want To Be A Rock n Roll Star
Old 09-25-2016, 09:41 AM   #925
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Really don't get the righteous indignation over the performance either. People are threatening to leave the board and abandon their fandom when, at the very least, we got to see the band at their most unapologetically political in a long time. That's a great thing.

So they pissed off the Trump fucktards and the Bernie Butthurt crowd?!?!

That really is a great thing!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference
Old 09-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #926
45:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post

Old 09-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #927
Blue Crack Distributor

People getting this upset over Internet streams of a 45 minute set they basically did as a favor, in front of a crowd of 20-30 somethings is just fantastic.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:09 AM   #928
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:46 AM
why would the show being "a favour" preclude them from using the opportunity to promote any new music?

i'm less "upset" and more just astounded that with a gift-wrapped meatball floating down the middle of the plate, they didn't even bother taking a swing. i'm not even sure they put in enough effort to get into a batting stance.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:27 AM   #929
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:46 AM
I still don't get the logic that the show was a favor U2 was doing for the station/conglomerate/whatever the hell iheartradio is. A favor in return for what? It's not like Every Breaking Wave or SfS lit up the airways.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #930
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I still don't get the logic that the show was a favor U2 was doing for the station/conglomerate/whatever the hell iheartradio is. A favor in return for what? It's not like Every Breaking Wave or SfS lit up the airways.
Definitely did out here. It was clearly being pushed by Clearchannel, appearing on stations it had no business being on *cough*KROQ*cough*

And I'll ask you this: Did any of the other bands during the night use the opportunity to push new material? I'll reiteration, this music festival is a rouse created by Clearchannel to keep people thinking that their app is the biggest thing in music by getting large bands to come play a half-hearted set in an arena for 30-45 minutes.