Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt - Page 61 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #901
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:00 AM
Comparing Nick Cave and U2 isn't really right, I feel like

Old 09-24-2016, 11:54 AM   #902
Blue Crack Addict

So glad I didn't try and stay up for that last night.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #903
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
" . For me, I'm not interested in following every move of this band by checking in with this website on a daily basis.

See, now I come to this website on a daily basis, but for pretty much the past decade, it has very little to do with following U2's every move (except when something is really going on like a tour or fresh release).
The band have become sloths in the way they work, but I still enjoy coming here because of the folks I've gotten to "know" over the last 15 years.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #904
45:33

Local Time: 05:00 PM
I am 100% not still here for U2. 100% just the jibber-jabber with friends. Laz, LM, iYup et al summed it up well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
I didn't realize people described that album that way, unless by "natural" they just mean it doesn't have gnarly synths and dance beats anywhere in proximity. It's slick and clean pop production is in large part what I like about it, and the one fitting home for Bono's earnest-to-the-point-of-silly lyrics in the past 20 years. There's not a song on that album I don't find pleasurable to listen to for one reason or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
I fell asleep at the moment when namkcuR's alt track lists occurred
It was the worst series of posts I'd ever heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
The contrast with Nick Cave is instructive. Two artists of a similar age and experience level, yet over the last decade Cave has produced three excellent to brilliant albums with the Bad Seeds, two primal side band records, a host of film scores, and probably more stuff I am forgetting. He proves that it is possible to be an energetic, creative artistic force into one's 50s - U2 just doesn't want it.
I was going to bring this up myself. It is so fucking depressing. If they had the attitude of Nick Cave we'd still be getting great music and great shows. Regular updates. And the most ironic part is if they went down that path they would get all the love and respect that they want but will never get on the path that they're on now.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:28 PM   #905
She's the One

Local Time: 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
One huge reason I don't want U2 to pack it in is that I don't want Interference to fold up because I'd really miss the Cockforce. Seriously. I'd really miss you guys. Not joking here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
S but I still enjoy coming here because of the folks I've gotten to "know" over the last 15 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I am 100% not still here for U2. 100% just the jibber-jabber with friends. Laz, LM, iYup et al summed it up well.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:02 PM   #906
Blue Crack Addict

as i said in the thread last night, it's becoming painfully obvious that u2 is full of, and surrounded by, yes-men who are completely in over their heads in today's music industry. from a business perspective, that was a spectacular failure for them not to use this vehicle to promote anything. surely they could have at least one new song to play for this if they had actually made an effort to work for it, but instead it seems vacationing took priority over their careers. it's clear that nobody inside u2 inc. has any clue how music marketing and promotion works anymore. either that or they really genuinely don't care anymore, despite everything they say to the contrary.

the band is doing all the wrong things and everyone around them is enabling them. it's like they're addicted to doing things the same way again and again and thinking it's going to work this time, and it's very frustrating as someone who's been a fan for more than half of my life.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #907
She's the One

They keep selling all kinds of tickets to shows, though. Maybe that's whst they care about.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 09-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #908
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:00 AM
Someone in EYKIW said that the wasted opportunities trend started to rear its ugly head as soon as McGuiness stepped down. Maybe he was more of an ingredient to their success than he is given credit for.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #909
Blue Crack Addict

absolutely. i think paul knew how to push them to work a little harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
They keep selling all kinds of tickets to shows, though. Maybe that's whst they care about.
yea, that could be. they may not admit it but it could be that at this point they (consciously or not) just regard new albums as necessary groundwork to allow them to go out and tour, since that's obviously where the big money for musicians is these days.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:00 PM   #910
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

They've weathered 4 decades of a music industry that evolved over time. They're no longer the band they were in their 20s where albums came out yearly or every other year backed by constant touring. I think they call the shots and Guy is just there to make things happen for them vs. he being someone that orders them to finish an album and then tells them to tour. If the album comes out first quarter of 2017 that's definitely the quickest we've gotten a full fledge follow-up album Since Zooropa.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:05 PM   #911
Blue Crack Distributor

Nick Cave is one man. U2 is four men who have managed to stay friends for 40 years, while still being in a band together, despite living in different places, having families, side projects/interests /passion.

I don't expect them to be prolific in releasing music, and honestly don't even need it at this point. I'm tired of the struggle for relevancy because it prevents them touring, IMO, which is the main thing I wish they'd do more of, and if they WEREN'T supporting an album, maybe they'd be more willing to adopt the mantle and start doing fans pleasing shows, ie varied set lists.

It's time to hang THAT part up. I was selfish for a long time in thinking I didn't want that. That I wanted new music, but if Bruce is anything to go by, if you just let that part go, the relevancy part, you end up MORE prolific.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:14 PM   #912
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Well, at least they haven't gotten to a point like The Rolling Stones who have only put out 4 albums since 1989. That's 27 years. I use 89 as a reference point because Jagger and Richards were around 46 years of age when Steel Wheels was released.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #913
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:00 AM
Why the Stones routinely get trotted into discussions about U2 is beyond me. Unlike U2, the Stones don't make a habit of talking up inventive new albums and distribution methods and insinuating new shit is on the immediate horizon. Furthermore, they seem quite comfortable touring on the back of their tremendous musical legacy, which frankly is considerably more impressive than U2's. The Stones have earned the right to do whatever the hell they want music/touring wise several times over.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:12 PM   #914
Blue Crack Addict

Old 09-24-2016, 04:13 PM   #915
Blue Crack Addict

Plus the Stones have a new album in the works, my bet is we see that before SOE.