Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt - Page 57 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 06:53 PM   #841
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:00 AM
Stand Up Comedy was just 'misdirection'.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 09-20-2016, 07:21 PM   #842
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:00 AM
Don't know what exactly the misdirection stuff is referring to, but it's anything to do with what I said, I'm just looking at what happened. Back in 2014, the general feeling was the album wasn't coming until 2015, and then they dropped it. Not saying that's what's happening now, just saying it's happened before. But given their history, sure, it's more likely it's a real delay.

Nor am I saying such a strategy would in any way be for diehards like us. It would be to appeal to pop kids who liked it when their favorite artists employed similar surprise release strategies(read: Beyonce).

Old 09-20-2016, 08:10 PM   #843
She's the One

Local Time: 10:00 PM
Are they even paying that much attention?
Old 09-20-2016, 09:17 PM   #844
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Don't know what exactly the misdirection stuff is referring to, but it's anything to do with what I said, I'm just looking at what happened.
There was a quote on Billboard about a week before SOI dropped that there wouldn't be an album until 2015, hence the misdirection claims.

Reality is, a source - even a "band spokesperson" - who has actual connections and gives info that proves to be wrong was simply given incorrect info. Anybody who thinks U2 are actually sitting there with some sort of misdirection strategy for the two hundred or so people who follow this news closely on Interference, atU2, and Twitter is completely kidding themselves.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:30 PM   #845
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
There was a quote on Billboard about a week before SOI dropped that there wouldn't be an album until 2015, hence the misdirection claims.
This is exactly what I was talking about. Everyone thought the album wasn't coming, and then it came. Not saying that's necessarily what's going on now, but it's what happened then. So there is a sliver of precedent, even though it's probably more likely there's a real delay this time.

Quote:
Reality is, a source - even a "band spokesperson" - who has actual connections and gives info that proves to be wrong was simply given incorrect info. Anybody who thinks U2 are actually sitting there with some sort of misdirection strategy for the two hundred or so people who follow this news closely on Interference, atU2, and Twitter is completely kidding themselves.
And what did I say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Nor am I saying such a strategy would in any way be for diehards like us. It would be to appeal to pop kids who liked it when their favorite artists employed similar surprise release strategies(read: Beyonce).
I'm not even saying that that strategy was successful in 2014(it wasn't) or that it would be now(it almost certainly wouldn't), I'm just stating that I think that was the intent.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:05 PM   #846
Vocal parasite

I can't even tell what you're saying now. Are you saying that 2014 was a deliberate misdirect or not?

Because somebody who's not a diehard probably wouldn't have even seen that one little quote in an article that was not prominent.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:14 PM   #847
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Yes, I'm saying in 2014 they wanted it to be a surprise release.

I do not know if that is the case this time. I'd lean towards not, towards it being a plain old real delay this time, but there is some precedent given 2014.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:01 AM   #848
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:00 PM
U2 should just do what Radiohead do. Casually throw up a post saying 'it's out guys, new album.' Otherwise, shut the hell up.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:03 AM   #849
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
U2 should just do what Radiohead do. Casually throw up a post saying 'it's out guys, new album.' Otherwise, shut the hell up.
I just don't think that's in their nature.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:13 AM   #850
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I know it's not, but oh well.

Or they could do what Michael Jackson would do back the nineties, erect mysterious pharaonic statues of themselves in the Gobi desert or something. Really get people talking, you know.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:19 AM   #851
She's the One

Local Time: 10:00 PM
Quote:
Quote:
I know it's not, but oh well.

Or they could do what Michael Jackson would do back the nineties, erect mysterious pharaonic statues of themselves in the Gobi desert or something. Really get people talking, you know.
I like both of these options. Mix it up a bit.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:23 AM   #852
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

U2 In Hot Water After 'Seconding' Apple's Chinese Slave Workers To Build Promotional Statues
Old 09-21-2016, 12:59 AM   #853
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Whichever fan first deciphers the hieroglyphics on the statues gets to pick a song for the setlist.

(It is replaced after two shows by an acoustic medley of Every Breaking Wave, In a Little While, and Stand Up Comedy.)
Old 09-21-2016, 01:08 AM   #854
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:00 AM
Bono paid a visit to Charlie Rose's show on Monday. Interview was shown a few hours ago. The "important" stuff, as summed up in EYKIW:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySpinHead View Post
Bono pretty much confirmed the band is rehearsing right now.
Quote:
16 songs on the cooker for SOE. Want to boil it down to 10-12. "We want 10 but it will probably be 12."
Quote:
"The Morning After Innocence" is now "The Little Things You Give Away."
Quote:
When is the album coming out?
"Only God and The Edge know."

Will there be a tour in 2017?
"Yes."
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB216 View Post
Bono also teased a bit on the theme of SOE after Charlie directly asked about it. He at first said he shouldn't yet be talking about this, but then said that the theme was inspired by the passing of their good friend/famed Irish poet Seamus Heaney and advice another poet (Brendan Kennelly) once gave to him: "write as if you're dead."

So on this next album, a lot are written from the perspective that they're gone, the ego's gone and these songs are standing as lasting messages. He's written songs to his kids, his friends, Ali, and to himself (though initially unbeknownst) .
Old 09-21-2016, 01:18 AM   #855
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Whichever fan first deciphers the hieroglyphics on the statues gets to pick a song for the setlist.

(It is replaced after two shows by an acoustic medley of Every Breaking Wave, In a Little While, and Stand Up Comedy.)

The hieroglyphics on the fifth statue, of an alarmingly erect Tim Cook, reveal the date that U2 will overwrite your entire U2 library with 'improved' versions of their material.