Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt - Page 54 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 12:04 AM   #796
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
It's a good song, not great but good; much better than Elevation or Vertigo as songs go. Now I'll admit those two play better live. And I'll never understand the argument that it's "overwritten", that term just doesn't apply to this song.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Nice to see another fan. Thought at the I+E show I was at, it played pretty darn well. I mean, not as well as Elevation or Vertigo, which as you say are natural live songs, but still, pretty darn well.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:35 AM   #797
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Like I said before, I'll never understand why so many of you are so relentlessly hung up on this lyric. Like seriously, it's not that big of a deal.
I don't know how you manage to overlook it. Sure, the "little old lady" line of Stand Up Comedy is worse, but this one still makes me wince every time.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-17-2016, 01:04 AM   #798
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I don't know how you manage to overlook it. Sure, the "little old lady" line of Stand Up Comedy is worse, but this one still makes me wince every time.
They're not even comparable. One is an odd analogy that doesn't really work, the other is just a case of using one or two more words than you would've liked, I just can't understand why it's so bothersome. We'll probably never see eye to eye on it.

I felt like this too back when people were making such a stink about the ATM machine thing in MOS. I thought that was an equally ridiculous hangup on a lyric.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:24 AM   #799
A childless dog

Local Time: 05:35 AM
Using one or two words too many isn't a huge deal unless it's the hook of the song. And, in this case, it is. That was the big, singalong moment of the lead single from the new U2 album. It's a big dud.

It is a mildly better hook than "get on your boots, sexy boots," of course. Let's not take that for granted.

Now.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:43 AM   #800
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
They're not even comparable. One is an odd analogy that doesn't really work, the other is just a case of using one or two more words than you would've liked, I just can't understand why it's so bothersome. We'll probably never see eye to eye on it.

I felt like this too back when people were making such a stink about the ATM machine thing in MOS. I thought that was an equally ridiculous hangup on a lyric.
It's not "using one or two more words than I would've liked". It's a redundant expression, like "ATM machine". It's bad writing.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-17-2016, 01:54 AM   #801
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:35 AM
Quote:
It's not "using one or two more words than I would've liked". It's a redundant expression, like "ATM machine". It's bad writing.

Explain?

Old 09-17-2016, 01:59 AM   #802
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Explain?
What needs explaining? The concept of redundancy? Why redundant expressions are bad writing?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-17-2016, 02:05 AM   #803
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
What needs explaining? The concept of redundancy? Why redundant expressions are bad writing?

No, I'm wondering what you're seeing as a redundancy in that particular Miracle lyric?

Old 09-17-2016, 02:09 AM   #804
Vocal parasite

Quote:
No, I'm wondering what you're seeing as a redundancy in that particular Miracle lyric?
"At the moment". "I woke up when the miracle occurred" expresses exactly the same thing as "I woke up at the moment when the miracle occurred".

If your comeback is that it doesn't fit the meter, that's no excuse for throwing in three superfluous, unnecessary words to form a clunky expression. Write something better.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-17-2016, 02:35 AM   #805
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt

Quote:
"At the moment". "I woke up when the miracle occurred" expresses exactly the same thing as "I woke up at the moment when the miracle occurred".

If your comeback is that it doesn't fit the meter, that's no excuse for throwing in three superfluous, unnecessary words to form a clunky expression. Write something better.

Ok, I get what you're saying as far as he could have reduced the line, but it's not exactly a redundancy line like the atm line. The 'at the moment' isn't exactly superfluous. In theologian speak, there's a lot of discussion about the story of the birth of Jesus, and if "the three wise men" actually showed up at the moment of the birth, or after they heard about the birth. And that might seem like a small detail, but it's not. It puts to question the whole nativity scene.

The "at the moment" is an important part of the lyric, he's trying to express that he was there to witness it, not just a disciple afterwards.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:38 AM   #806
Blue Crack Addict

Baaaaaaaaaaaad lyrics

The oooooooothheerrrr plaaaaacccce
Old 09-17-2016, 02:38 AM   #807
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:35 AM
Bono writes bad lyrics
Old 09-17-2016, 02:40 AM   #808
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

Devil's advocate, 'at the moment when the miracle occurred' could be thought to intentionally designate a more precise place in time, because 'when the miracle occurred' could refer to the moment, the hour, the day, or whatever, the miracle occurred. Where you see redundancy, I see precision.

Furthermore, if all he wanted to say is 'I woke up when the miracle occurred', maybe he didn't want to say anything else in that line and so added a few words to match the meter.

Just out of curiosity, if he had removed the words in question and not replaced them at all, and just stretched the existing words out, like 'I wo-o-oke u-up when the miracle occurred', would that have been better in your estimation?

I realize I'm coming off defensive, and it's not that I'm so protective of the lyric, I just find the objections to it, the notion that one can't enjoy the song because of it or whatever, to be way OTT. But I guess I'm in the minority.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:52 AM   #809
Blue Crack Addict

I fell asleep at the moment when namkcuR's alt track lists occurred
It was the worst series of posts I'd ever heard
Old 09-17-2016, 05:57 AM   #810
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Very mature.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference