Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt - Page 49 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #721
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Oh good, we've already moved on to the "people who don't like later day U2 must be doing it to be contrarian" bullshit.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:50 AM   #722
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Oh good, we've already moved on to the "people who don't like later day U2 must be doing it to be contrarian" bullshit.

Yep, that's exactly what was said

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 09-14-2016, 11:59 AM   #723
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:22 PM
Serious question: how many actual non-troll members are there on here who like their post-Pop albums more than pre-Pop?

I mean, I like everything they have done to different degrees from Boy to SOI but yes, from ATYCLB on, there is a noticeable decline in quality, does anyone really argue this?
Old 09-14-2016, 01:10 PM   #724
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:22 AM
There are some even here in Bang and Clatter who would pick ATYCLB over Pop because the songwriting is more streamlined. Pop is still divisive.

But by large, you're right. Most would acknowledge a serious drop in quality due to creative cowardice after Pop's reception in America.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #725
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
Serious question: how many actual non-troll members are there on here who like their post-Pop albums more than pre-Pop?

I mean, I like everything they have done to different degrees from Boy to SOI but yes, from ATYCLB on, there is a noticeable decline in quality, does anyone really argue this?
You mean Kite isn't actually their best song???
Old 09-14-2016, 01:34 PM   #726
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Yep, that's exactly what was said

Hmmm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I wonder how ripped to shreds Zooropa and Pop would get by people on here if this site had been around for 10-15 years when they first came out. It just seems so cool to trash on songs (or movies, or tv shows, etc.) people consider to be their favorites. I never quite see it about the arts as harshly as I do on here though. At least not with anyone I might ever consider a friend on any other site I visit (including social media). And I don't mean interference in general - I mean Lemonade Stand.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:38 PM   #727
A childless dog

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt

I don't know if it's nostalgia or what, but a lot of people would put ATYCLB at or near the top of their rankings. Maybe not so many hardcore U2 fanatics, but certainly the general population would.

After that, no, I don't think there are very many people at all that would consider HTDAAB or NLOTH on par with The Joshua Tree. We're talking a fraction of a fraction here. If anything, that tiny group would be the contrarians in this discussion.

Now.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:40 PM   #728
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:22 PM
I'd put ATYCLB on the top tier. Maybe it is nostalgia, as one of the first albums I ever truly connected with. But that's fine. It's really beautiful pop music that came about at the right time. That and the three 90s albums are all I ever really return to with frequency.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #729
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

ATYCLB is probably dead middle for me if I would sit down and ranked them, but I think SOI is their strongest since Zooropa.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 09-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #730
ONE
love, blood, life

Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt

I consider SOI to be their best since ATYCLB. The latter is also the one that made me a fan, which is why it's always been in my Top 5.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:11 PM   #731
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

This used to be a more interesting discussion when it was 80s U2 vs 90s U2.

Nobody can seriously compare either of those eras with post-millennium U2, right?
Old 09-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #732
Blue Crack Addict

I honestly feel like I'd still like them a lot more if they'd just retired after ATYCLB. Saw them twice on the Vertigo tour and had a great time so I'd have missed that, but... yeah.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #733
Blue Crack Addict

I think it's all about perspective. I like post 90's U2 but I'll never like post 90's U2 even close to the level of 80's and 90's, but I also realize that there are very few groups that enter their 3rd and 4th decades still making good music.

I don't compare their new albums to Zooropa and my other favorites. They'll never compare, but that's ok. I think there have still been so many great moments post 90's both in the studio and live that I'm not going to limit my enjoyment simply because they're in a different era.

Yes, there has been a drop off, but I don't think it's as significant as some make it out to be. But really, fuck if I care all that much. I like all of their albums and if you don't like my opinion, go fuck yourself.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:58 PM   #734
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

ATYCLB has dropped precipitously in my estimation since I first heard it. Beautiful Day and Ground Beneath Her Feet (if you want to include it) are among their best tracks IMO, but the rest of it suffers from some horrendously under-cooked, convenient sentimentality that really doesn't hold any depth - Walk On and When I Look at the World, specifically.

Ground Beneath Her Feet and Stateless are indications of what might have been in that era. Would have loved to have heard a whole album in that vein, much like the aborted/contorted Moroccan sessions for No Line.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:02 PM   #735
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
ATYCLB has dropped precipitously in my estimation since I first heard it. Beautiful Day and Ground Beneath Her Feet (if you want to include it) are among their best tracks IMO, but the rest of it suffers from some horrendously under-cooked, convenient sentimentality that really doesn't hold any depth - Walk On and When I Look at the World, specifically.

Ground Beneath Her Feet and Stateless are indications of what might have been in that era. Would have loved to have heard a whole album in that vein, much like the aborted/contorted Moroccan sessions for No Line.
Also Bono's weakest album vocally because he was going through his chronic throat issues at the time.

I'd also add Kite and When I Look At The World to that list of great tracks. Walk On too.