Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt - Page 44 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 04:19 PM   #646
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:11 AM
Nothing is written!

Old 09-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #647
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:11 PM
Just to put things in perspective, weren't there reports in 2014, even just weeks before SOI dropped, that there wasn't going to be a new album until 2015? I could be remembering that wrong, but I feel like it happened.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:01 AM   #648
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

My distinction between great and classic is that classic would be a masterpiece and great would be something that's pretty good. In other words, "California" is the only pretty good song to me from U2's recent batch of recordings while "City of Blinding Lights" (and some other Bomb tracks) happens to be the last time I felt they put out a perfect song.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:52 AM   #649
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:11 AM
In that case...

Last masterpiece: The Joshua Tree (I may be willing to call Passengers great, but I won't go so far as to call it a masterpiece)
Last pretty good album: Pop
I would describe every album from Boy to Pop as pretty good at the barest minimum, with the exception of Rattle And Hum. It would have been pretty good if it were a coherent studio affair.

Last perfect song: Gone
Last pretty good song: Cedarwood Road, and I can also see a case for The Troubles

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-13-2016, 03:24 AM   #650
A childless dog

Last masterpiece: Zooropa (Pop is borderline, a couple of tracks keep it from that level)
Last pretty good album: NLOTH

Last perfect song: Moment of Surrender
Last pretty good song: Raised by Wolves

When I write it out like that, things don't seem so bleak in the world of U2.

Now.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:04 AM   #651
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:11 AM
I once had a dream in which Tony Soprano and his nephew Christopher were discussing something of great importance on a park bench. At some point they caught Paul Giamatti listening in from behind some bushes and gave chase, intending to presumably whack him or beat the crap out of him. The soundtrack to this dream of mine was 'Slug'.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #652
Blue Crack Supplier

That new album thread is tiring, how can the album be delayed if there was never a release date in the first place?
Old 09-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #653
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Last perfect song: Moment of Surrender

It's not perfect; the song should have faded out instead of the full stop.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #654
Blue Crack Addict

The Troubles is the best U2 song since the '90s.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #655
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:11 PM
Sleep Like a Baby
Old 09-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #656
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
That new album thread is tiring, how can the album be delayed if there was never a release date in the first place?
I'd say it is delayed, whether or not there was a release date, given that when the IE Tour was announced in December 2014, Bono promised SOE would be forthcoming very soon as part of the official statement. Yes, yes, Bono lies, but the fact they actually did this officially and gave it a name and tied it into the tour made it sound like they were serious about a quick turnaround this time, unlike the teases after ATYCLB, HTDAAB, and NLOTH. They made all the appropriate noises that it was very close. So to announce something in 2014 and not put it out until 2017 definitely reeks of delays/things going wrong/perfectionism/too many cooks, or however you want to allocate blame.

I don't mind though. They pumped out nearly twenty years of brilliant music from the start of their career. I'm perfectly content with that. They're not topping the list of bands from whom I'd love a new album, put it that way.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-13-2016, 10:33 AM   #657
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

It's a damn shame all the interesting stuff was buried in the back end of Songs of Innocence. I can't think of it as anything but a sort of joke of an album, but there are maybe three songs near the end that are legitimately solid U2. But they're buried so deep, it's like they're ashamed. Also three songs isn't anything to write home about.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:39 AM   #658
Vocal parasite

Controversial opinion time: Reach Around is literally the most forgettable song U2 have ever recorded. I don't mean that it's bad, not at all. That's the problem. It has no qualities that stand out to me positively or negatively. Last.fm reckons I've played it twelve times and I cannot tell you a single thing about it, except that thanks to some wanker over in the Other Place I know that it has a prominent "soldier, soldier" lyric. The song goes straight in one ear and out the other for me. Every other song I could tell you something meaningful about how it sounds.

Though in my head it's accompanied by a video of a silhouette of Bono dancing around like an idiot with a new iPhone.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-13-2016, 10:57 AM   #659
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Controversial opinion time: Reach Around is literally the most forgettable song U2 have ever recorded. I don't mean that it's bad, not at all. That's the problem. It has no qualities that stand out to me positively or negatively. Last.fm reckons I've played it twelve times and I cannot tell you a single thing about it, except that thanks to some wanker over in the Other Place I know that it has a prominent "soldier, soldier" lyric. The song goes straight in one ear and out the other for me. Every other song I could tell you something meaningful about how it sounds.

Though in my head it's accompanied by a video of a silhouette of Bono dancing around like an idiot with a new iPhone.
I'm not too far off from this opinion myself. It's in one out the other for me also.

Although Stranger In A Strange Land is my truly "jesus wtf is this doing on an album" song from them. And FBB

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

Old 09-13-2016, 10:58 AM   #660
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Reach Around - if we're calling it that now - is not high on my list of anything. It's so self-referential that you'd have to be pretty invested to hop on board. Musically it's quite good, but it's asking too much of me vis a vis the U2 biography (if anything I end up sympathising with the old man).

My 'interesting' songs off of Songs of Innocence are Raised by Wolves, Sleep Like A Baby etc, and The Troubles. That's it.