Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt - Page 43 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 12:13 AM   #631
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:15 PM
Prediction: U2 will back out the iHeart show this week.
Watch it happen.
Meltdown will ensue.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:14 AM   #632
She's the One

Local Time: 04:15 AM
Back when I posted in The Other Place, I was merciless to the "insiders." I hated their "I know something you don't know" attitudes. I was a total bitch about it, but they were so fucking coy.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Old 09-12-2016, 12:15 AM   #633
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
Watch it happen.
Meltdown will ensue.

Why would they do that?

Old 09-12-2016, 12:16 AM   #634
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Why would they do that?

Because U2
Old 09-12-2016, 01:01 AM   #635
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
I don't know what he meant, but like I said, I took it to mean in terms of public perception. Like, what the casual U2 fan would think of when you say 'classic u2 albums'. Joshua, Achtung, ATYCLB. Of course in here, most of us would put UF and Zooropa and Pop and probably Boy and War ahead of it, but that's us, not the casual listener.

The Bomb sold almost as well, and if you factor in increasing piracy I'm sure it's pretty close to even. 3.3 million vs. 4.4 million in the U.S., and 10 million vs. 12 million worldwide. Considering that Steel Wheels (also 24 years after their respective first album) only did 2x platinum in the U.S., an impressive number.

Plus, The Bomb won the Grammy for Album of the Year, which, like it or not, is going to give it a level of posterity when people look back at that list. Four of its songs won Grammy and one was a bonafide hit single.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
Watch it happen.
Meltdown will ensue.

If they're not actually putting out an album this year, I hope they do pull out. I definitely don't want them playing some dinosaur act show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Not clear on the classic/great distinction myself, but I'd say U2's last great song is Gone and last great album is Passengers.

I know you're not a big fan of the recent albums themselves, but you don't think they've had a single great song in almost 20 years? Even more mystifying that you waste so much of your life here. I simply don't get it.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:03 AM   #636
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I know you're not a big fan of the recent albums themselves, but you don't think they've had a single great song in almost 20 years? Even more mystifying that you waste so much of your life here. I simply don't get it.
There's been a bunch of good songs, but nothing I'd quite call great. Maybe there are a couple I'd call great if I'm feeling generous. But I'm not today.

I don't know what's particularly surprising about somebody being on a forum for a band that produced 20 years of music they love and where they've established a bunch of friendships, though. Hell, since I mainly just hang around in FYM and the subforums of LS, I sometimes barely even notice this is a U2 forum.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:08 AM   #637
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:15 AM
U2 has released their new single "Staring at the Sun", hoping the public doesn't remember the first time it was released.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:30 AM   #638
Refugee

Bono would need to find a more awkward word than intransigence
Old 09-12-2016, 02:33 AM   #639
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:15 PM
Songs of Intransigence to Drop in 2033
Old 09-12-2016, 03:09 AM   #640
Vocal parasite

Lead single: The Intransigence (of Larry Mullen Jr).
Old 09-12-2016, 03:19 AM   #641
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:15 PM
The Goal Is Escalation
Old 09-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #642
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Why would they do that?

Maybe they still haven't found a new drummer.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #643
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
There's been a bunch of good songs, but nothing I'd quite call great. Maybe there are a couple I'd call great if I'm feeling generous. But I'm not today.

I don't know what's particularly surprising about somebody being on a forum for a band that produced 20 years of music they love and where they've established a bunch of friendships, though. Hell, since I mainly just hang around in FYM and the subforums of LS, I sometimes barely even notice this is a U2 forum.
exactly. other than once a month or two at most when i'm reeeeeal bored and venture into the other place, the only time i ever talk about u2 is in this thread. i mean shit, i've probably listened to maybe a couple dozen u2 songs total all year. i barely give a fuck about them anymore, certainly not far above other bands like i used to, and haven't really for about 8 years. i come here more for the general discussion (FYM and LS) with people i actually (relatively) know and who's opinions i respect even if i disagree, because i know they are for the most part well reasoned, and where that person is coming from, rather me than going somewhere that's an anonymous echo chamber or a million-person circlejerk and shouting into the hurricane.

i much prefer our few-dozen-sized circlejerk, thank you very much. i like having some minor sense of knowing who the people i'm talking to are and a general sense of their tastes. it's great for asking opinions and generating useful discussions above and beyond "wuts ur fav u2 song lol mine iz gt on yr buuts!11!!" a thousand times over. i've found new music, tv shows, movies, sports, and art that i never would have found if not for the general section of this forum.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #644
Refugee

Yeah, I definitely come here more for actual U2 discussion than the other place, though that forum occasionally offers some great comedy. I mostly lurk there and post here.

As for the band itself, U2 is still my favorite by far and I am always excited by any new music or tour info. I thought SOI had some great, fresh sounds that I still enjoy, like the entire backhalf of the album. I've just learned to temper my expectations from the height of my fandom. It helps that there's more than enough fantastic music from other artists. I would like a U2 album this year, but I certainly don't need one. This year's given me more than enough incredible music.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #645
Blue Crack Distributor

So there's no album until 2017. Okay, doesn't mean we won't get a single this fall. That could have been the plan all along, to push the new single at iHeart, even though album might not be out until a few months later.

Or late 2017, because U2.