Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt - Page 33 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 03:12 PM   #481
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:43 AM
I think that was Bono's preferred order but Edge's choice won out.

Personally I think it's dumb to stick Elevation as track 3 between two more meaningful tracks like Stuck and Walk On. And I do enjoy Elevation.

Imagine having EBTTRT switch with One.

Plus, New York is a better "side" opener. And this gives Peace On Earth a more important slot instead of being buried mid-second half. I know it's much-maligned here but it's probably the darkest, most personal thing on the album.

I haven't listened to the release order since this one was revealed. So like, 15 years?

Old 09-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #482
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
New York has some bite to it, and it's one of the few songs from that period that do. I've always had a certain amount of time for it, although it's not lost on me that both it and In A Little While make everyone else's most-hated lists. It is what it is...
I love "In a Little While". Always have. I have no experience with hearing it live (I don't know that I've even heard any live audio recordings or seen online clips of it-if I have, it was years ago, evidently), so I missed out on any overplay it might've gotten in that setting .

Old 09-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #483
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:43 PM
Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt

IALW is trash. Kite is great.
But Stateless is where it's really at. Best song from that era along with Ground Beneath Her Feet.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2016, 05:22 PM   #484
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:43 AM
What ruined Most of ATYCLB for me is when they released the :30 second promo clips. I listened those into the ground before the leak. I still hear the 30 second clip every time I listen to Kite. Ughh. Should have remained a virgin and I would have enjoyed it more.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 09-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #485
Blue Crack Supplier

I remember the clip for Beautiful Day, which came from the energetic "what you don't have..." part at the end. The rest of the song never lived up to that climax for me.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #486
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:43 AM
ATYCLB was the first album i paid for with my own money from my first paycheque ever. the year before my stepmom gave me a copy of the best of 1980-1990 for christmas and i listened to it so much (mostly while playing pokemon) i actually wore the cd out.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:45 PM   #487
45:33

Local Time: 12:43 AM
Atty Club is easily their most unfairly maligned album on this forum.

Beautiful Day is Beautiful Day. Iconic. Stuck is a perfect pop song with a relatable lyric. Elevation's Tomb Raider version is great and live it's great fun. Walk On and Kite are both emotional songs done right. IALW is terrific; the raspy vocal and Edge's guitar combine really well. Wild Honey has a great chorus. New York rules. WILATW is a tremendous song. Peace on Earth would probably be my least favourite on the album but it's still nice and obviously touching lyrically. Then you have Grace, which I have never, ever understood the apoplectic hate for. It's a really nice song. And my copy of the album closes with Ground Beneath Her Feet, which kicks all kinds of arse.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:45 PM   #488
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
What ruined Most of ATYCLB for me is when they released the :30 second promo clips. I listened those into the ground before the leak. I still hear the 30 second clip every time I listen to Kite. Ughh. Should have remained a virgin and I would have enjoyed it more.

Between that and the studio cam, it seemed U2 were actually embarrassing what you can do with your web presence. It's really weird they seem so Internet illiterate since then.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #489
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post

Beautiful Day is Beautiful Day. Iconic. Stuck is a perfect pop song with a relatable lyric. Elevation's Tomb Raider version is great and live it's great fun. Walk On and Kite are both emotional songs done right. IALW is terrific; the raspy vocal and Edge's guitar combine really well. Wild Honey has a great chorus. New York rules. WILATW is a tremendous song. Peace on Earth would probably be my least favourite on the album but it's still nice and obviously touching lyrically. Then you have Grace, which I have never, ever understood the apoplectic hate for. It's a really nice song. And my copy of the album closes with Ground Beneath Her Feet, which kicks all kinds of arse.

I agree quite a bit with this, the album would rank much higher for me if it weren't for some of its lyrical weakness. Elevation is fun live but certain lines just ruin it for me, same with NY.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:06 PM   #490
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:

Old 09-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #491
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:43 PM
Quote:

My only disagreements are that I actually prefer the album version of Elevation over the Tomb Raider mix. And secondly, while it was a bit bombastic (and slightly jokingly) for me to call IALW "trash", it's not one of my favorites on the album. 6/10 song IMO. I haven't heard in a couple years, maybe I should give it a listen...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #492
Vocal parasite

Apart from the rocketship verse, IALW is straight-up rubbish.

ATYCLB should be maligned. It's U2's worst effort, maybe excepting HTDAAB. How on earth I became a fan during that era now leaves me baffled. It should have been enough to warn me off!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #493
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:43 PM
Nah, In A Little While has a great groove going for it, it was just rough enough to not be overthought. It sounds like a band with somewhere to go, and Bono - fortuitously or otherwise - sounds like a guy at the end of his rope, appropriate for a song that more than hints at the likely infidelities around that time (not that I give a shit, it's a song, I'm not Bono's buddy). The 'feels' as Cobl4 likes to put them... that song has them, it's got the lightning. Too much of that album suffers from a sort of flat, thin-sounding 'pop' (circa 2000) production... Walk On in particular.

In hindsight after all these years, I consider ATYCLB a so-so album at best, and its status as post-911 chew toy can go bite me, but there are still traces there of the band we used to know. It's head and shoulders above HTDAAB even if the latter's 'return to rock' bullshit did fool some people some of the time, for a little while. Had it been their final album, I'd have considered it a disappointing but not disgraceful farewell.

Then of course there's Stateless and The Ground Beneath Her Feet, as others have noted, with their confusing, tantalising hints of another, different kind of direction that may or may not have been on the cards around 1999/2000.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:32 PM   #494
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Atty Club

Old 09-04-2016, 10:44 PM   #495
45:33

Do you like Hut Dab better?