Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2016, 11:01 PM   #196
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 52,769
Local Time: 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
How would 2010 have made a difference?

Miracle is actually far above their other attempts at the straight forward pop rock singles like Elevation, Boots, or Vertigo.
Because the forum was more active and many of our long-time posters were yet to leave.

You say that as if it's factual. "I woke up at the moment when the miracle occurred" is, in my opinion, the worst lyric he's ever written. It's like a emergency services PR spokesperson was asked to write it. It barely makes sense, it's so clunky.

I won't argue about Boots, but Elevation and Vertigo are both a million times better. They're just straight-forward, dumb, accessible, three-and-a-half-minute rock songs without any pretension.
__________________

__________________
cobl04 is offline  
Old 07-12-2016, 11:36 PM   #197
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 38,312
Local Time: 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Because the forum was more active and many of our long-time posters were yet to leave.
I didn't realize you were talking about in interference specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
You say that as if it's factual. "I woke up at the moment when the miracle occurred" is, in my opinion, the worst lyric he's ever written. It's like a emergency services PR spokesperson was asked to write it. It barely makes sense, it's so clunky.

I won't argue about Boots, but Elevation and Vertigo are both a million times better. They're just straight-forward, dumb, accessible, three-and-a-half-minute rock songs without any pretension.

That line has never bothered me. Makes perfect sense to me, not exactly well phrased but it's no "mole diggin up a hole", "intellectual tortoise", or as bad as some of the clunkers on Pop.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 07-12-2016, 11:37 PM   #198
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 12,774
Local Time: 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Because the forum was more active and many of our long-time posters were yet to leave.

You say that as if it's factual. "I woke up at the moment when the miracle occurred" is, in my opinion, the worst lyric he's ever written.
Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Force quit and move to trash

Come on ye people, stand up and sit down for your love

Where is the love, love and peace?

The air is heavy, heavy as a truck
__________________
My business! | My hobby!
Diemen is offline  
Old 07-12-2016, 11:39 PM   #199
A childless dog
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 64,345
Local Time: 05:42 AM
I can't think of a Pop lyric I like less than that line from The Miracle.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 07-12-2016, 11:40 PM   #200
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 38,312
Local Time: 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I can't think of a Pop lyric I like less than that line from The Miracle.

I can think of an entire song.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 07-12-2016, 11:43 PM   #201
New Yorker
 
bobsaget77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,199
Local Time: 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I'll throw out an unpopular opinion: Crazy Tonight would be a perfectly OK song if it weren't for that falsetto Bono attempts in the verses.

What in the fuck was he thinking with that?


It didn't fit on the album at all. It would have been a good stand alone single for maybe a movie or a charity. I love the chorus and the live version they played on Letterman was great.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
bobsaget77 is offline  
Old 07-12-2016, 11:44 PM   #202
New Yorker
 
bobsaget77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,199
Local Time: 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.



Force quit and move to trash



Come on ye people, stand up and sit down for your love



Where is the love, love and peace?



The air is heavy, heavy as a truck





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
bobsaget77 is offline  
Old 07-13-2016, 12:08 AM   #203
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 52,769
Local Time: 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I didn't realize you were talking about in interference specifically.




That line has never bothered me. Makes perfect sense to me, not exactly well phrased but it's no "mole diggin up a hole", "intellectual tortoise", or as bad as some of the clunkers on Pop.
Well yeah, it was in response to LM's post, but I didn't quote it, so my bad, I see the confusion!

Would love to hear what you think are the clunkers on Pop. Bonus points if you can do so without immediately jumping to lines from Miami or The Playboy Mansion, both of which contain silly, ironic lyrics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Force quit and move to trash

Come on ye people, stand up and sit down for your love

Where is the love, love and peace?

The air is heavy, heavy as a truck
All of these lines at least fit in a sentence. What makes the Miracle line worse is how badly it's constructed and how bad it sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I can't think of a Pop lyric I like less than that line from The Miracle.
__________________
cobl04 is offline  
Old 07-13-2016, 12:22 AM   #204
A childless dog
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 64,345
Local Time: 05:42 AM
There are some nonsensical lines on Pop, but they have a poetic quality to them and at least sound good.

For a rock song, The Miracle is dreadfully overwritten; cramming far too many syllables into each line has been a problem plaguing Bono's writing for a while now and that song is one of the prime examples of it.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 07-13-2016, 12:45 AM   #205
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 38,312
Local Time: 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post



Would love to hear what you think are the clunkers on Pop. Bonus points if you can do so without immediately jumping to lines from Miami or The Playboy Mansion, both of which contain silly, ironic lyrics.





Keep in mind I was in college when Pop came out; I was there when R&H came out and my first midnight album release was AB. But Pop was the first time I had cringe moments as a fan(with the exception of a few lines from Some Days).

I won't mention Playboy, they aren't silly or ironic just were too dated even by the time it was released. Still love the song. I will mention Miami, not a single line, but the entire song. Musically had huge potential, but lyrically it was shit. I get his attempt to do some beat poet postcard from the city, but the city had absolutely nothing to do with U2's lexicon. It wasn't like the poets or Lou Reed talking about NY. It was too throw away.

Straw in the lemonade

Most of IGWSHA

The referee line in Sun

And Wake Up is a mess





Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 07-13-2016, 12:49 AM   #206
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pushing my wheel of love.
Posts: 8,797
Local Time: 07:42 AM
I'll say this about Wake Up Dead Man: "Your father made the world in seven; he's in charge of heaven" is probably the laziest thing Bono has ever written.
__________________
iron yuppie is offline  
Old 07-13-2016, 12:53 AM   #207
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 38,312
Local Time: 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post

For a rock song, The Miracle is dreadfully overwritten; cramming far too many syllables into each line has been a problem plaguing Bono's writing for a while now and that song is one of the prime examples of it.

See I get this in a sense, moreso than it being one of the worst lines. But do you think it's overwritten or it's just not the delivery you're used to for Bono? I mean there are many artist; I.e. Stipe or Morrissey that made a career out of "too many syllables" in their song writing.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 07-13-2016, 12:53 AM   #208
A childless dog
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 64,345
Local Time: 05:42 AM
WUDM was written from a humble, childlike vantage point. I interpret it as simplistic, not lazy.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 07-13-2016, 01:01 AM   #209
A childless dog
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 64,345
Local Time: 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
See I get this in a sense, moreso than it being one of the worst lines. But do you think it's overwritten or it's just not the delivery you're used to for Bono? I mean there are many artist; I.e. Stipe or Morrissey that made a career out of "too many syllables" in their song writing.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
For a straightforward, ideally singalong rock song about awakening to what life and music has to offer, I think it's too wordy. Bono got caught up in conveying the details and lost the efficiency and precision a good rock song needs. Elevation has the subtlety of a brick to the face, but audiences get into it in part because it communicates its message efficiently.

There is a time and a place for syllable overdose, but I don't think The Miracle was it.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 07-13-2016, 01:01 AM   #210
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 38,312
Local Time: 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
WUDM was written from a humble, childlike vantage point. I interpret it as simplistic, not lazy.

Except the opening stanza comes from a very disillusioned adult pov; which is one of the reasons I've always felt that song was never completely hashed out.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com