Shuttlecock XI: Yes Virginia, You Did Save Bono's Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, Edge did tell Scott & Scott that Reach Around will likely appear on the next leg.

I'll restate what I said a while back: this setlist is going to be more difficult to change than previous ones. Unfortunately two of the album's singles are EBW and SFS, and I doubt the band will admit the latter isn't as big as they were hoping. Miracle isn't going anywhere. I don't see Bono giving Iris the boot, Cedarwood Road is such a big part of the theme of the album/show, and Raised By Wolves is clearly meant to be a show-stopper of sorts with the explosion at the end leading into UTEOTW.

All that leaves is them with is putting Reach Around as the second half opener in place of Invisible. Which would be a shame because it's the best new song that's being played every night. And since they haven't even tried the former even once yet, I doubt it will abruptly be put into nightly rotation. It could wind up making a "e" stage appearance in the rotating slot, but that means the show doesn't really change much for Europe.

Unless someone can suggest another realistic possibility.

"Invisible" is certainly the best of the new tunes, and in my opinion, best utilizes the screen. The video footage, unfortunately, really limits them in their setlists because if they were to dump, say, "Song for Someone", they'd have to dump the video screen projection for it as well and come up with something else. They really kind of got themselves into a corner with this tour, but I still think they can do whatever-they-want with the second half of the set...it's their choice to make it so static every night.

"This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now" could just replace "The Miracle" every other night if they were daring enough. Both tracks are rockers that the audience could give a fuck about, really, and neither is tied to a video screen selection. Maybe make "I Will Follow" the second track of the evening after "Reach" to keep the audience involved (since "Miracle" was at least a single) and then go with "Vertigo" and an early tune to close out the four-song rocker opening.

"Invisible" is certainly the best of the new tunes, and in my opinion, best utilizes the screen. The video footage, unfortunately, really limits them in their setlists because if they were to dump, say, "Song for Someone", they'd have to dump the video screen projection for it as well and come up with something else. They really kind of got themselves into a corner with this tour

Sorry, but that's a fairly weak argument.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Bono can lose $5 million a year for years and years in one investment and come out of it saying "eh, who cares?"

I don't know why he refuses to bring that attitude to his music.

Uhh, did I miss someone mentioning that Bono let like 25+ fans come up on stage during one of the Montreal shows?

Skip to about 4:00 in.

Now that's some unexpected stuff right there.

I happened to be shuffling music on my brand new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus and Are You Gonna Wait Forever came on. Really enjoyable listen. Love the way the rhythm and lead guitars talk to each other.

Sent from my SM-G928P using U2 Interference mobile app

The music is good.

I just wish that Bono had come up with something for the chorus better than repeating the title over and over.

Oh yeah. Definite b side. Was a pleasant surprise after not hearing it for several years though.

I happened to be shuffling music on my brand new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus and Are You Gonna Wait Forever came on. Really enjoyable listen. Love the way the rhythm and lead guitars talk to each other.

You're back!

Uhh, did I miss someone mentioning that Bono let like 25+ fans come up on stage during one of the Montreal shows?

Skip to about 4:00 in.

Now that's some unexpected stuff right there.

Yes you missed it apparently. Was discussed at the time. I compared it to an Iggy Pop show.

ZOMG! I can't believe Shuttlecock didn't make this list of bands that play the most varied setlists!

The 25 Best Rock Acts with Unique Setlists | Consequence of Sound | Page 25

Well, OK, I guess I can.
There’s no competition when it comes to Pearl Jam. See them 2,000 miles away, 200 miles away, or in the same venue on a different night, and you’re going to get a totally unique set. That’s just the beauty of the Seattle veterans, and it’s a hallmark of theirs that they’ve maintained for over two decades. Hell, last year alone, they worked with over 160 songs and only had 32 dates to their name.

And most of us were impressed U2 whipped out 48 different songs over 36 shows so far this year.

The new video is strange to me.

Simulation of Bono's bike crash into giant Bono plucking a star from the sky and then wrap it all up with the final scene from Close Encounters where everyone walks into the bright light emanating from the UFO.

Not really sure what it's all supposed to mean.

Yeah, that video was pretty meh. I honestly don't think U2 have made any good music videos since Electrical Storm. Everything else has either been just alright (Vertigo, Magnificent) or terrible (Get On Your Boots, The Miracle).

I give them credit for experimenting a bit with the Crazy Tonight video. Love it or hate it, it's certainly not like any other U2 video.

I thought the Sometimes video was pretty good, not groundbreaking or anything but it fit the song well.

I also thought the OOTS video looked cool even though I wish the song was better.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Boots had a pretty cool video. It would have been hotter if they used the Boots sequence from the Linear film. Hot chicks with mustaches would have sold that single.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom