Shearwater - The Golden Archipelago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't use a record player on Last FM, so that's not going to work. :wink:

Apparently I can buy False Sentinel off of iTunes.

Oh but you can, if you want to take the time to use this website:

Universal Scrobbler

Ha, I was coming in here to post the Universal Scrobbler. I don't use it because, well, I have enough scrobbles already...I look like enough of a music obsessive as it is.

Also, "False Sentinel" is great, but "The Silver Bodies" is even more drool-worthy, trust me.

You know what I'm a huge fan of though? Bands like Shearwater and the National that consistently put out fucking awesome material, down to their b-sides and bonus tracks.

I'll have to check out that Universal Scrobbler thing. While my Last FM chart addiction is a legitimate excuse I make in my head about vinyl, my aversion is mainly because I know what an addict I can be about collecting things. I'd hate to know how many albums I'd end up feeling like I had to have on both vinyl and CD, etc. Humorously, I already have a very small collection of records that I bought because of my love for the album or the album cover.

In regards to the concert, I'll post more tomorrow, but let me just say that was one of the best shows I've seen in quite some time.

Well, I'm on a post-concert Shearwater high this morning. Listened to a number of their tracks while eating breakfast and getting ready for work. To my delight, Meiberg was a guest on the local indie station on the drive to work. He played Meridian and covered a Peter Gabriel song that I wasn't familiar with. Said something interesting things in the interview. Apparently Palo Santo, Rook, and Golden Archipelago were a "trilogy", and he wants whatever they do next to be completely different. He said that's not going so well at the moment, as he doesn't like anything he's written in an attempt to be different so far. He also said they'd likely be touring again in the fall, woohoo!

As for the show, the opening bands were surprisingly good. The lead singer of the first, Hospital Ships, was sick, so instead they did a round of solo sets by different people in all 3 bands. It ended up lasting an hour, and was quite entertaining. The next opener, Wye Oak, absolutely slayed. I was extremely impressed, may need to check out some of their material.

Shearwater opened with Black Eyes. I almost couldn't appreciate it fully, as I was shocked my favorite song from the new album was being played right off the bat, and also because their sound was so freaking loud. I'd forgotten ear plugs (for the first time in years), but really never thought I'd need them for Shearwater. I couldn't have been more wrong, they turn it up a number of notches in the "rocking" department live. The set mainly consisted of Golden Archipelago tracks and a number of Rook tracks. The only song that wasn't from those albums was Seventy-Four, Seventy-Five. Very similar to Midlake, I really wished I had a separate live album for this band, as the songs rock so much harder. Meiburg's voice is incredible live as well, while I already thought it was great, I'm that much more impressed by it now. His range of dynamics is off the chart. I'm doubly mad at myself for skipping them the last few times they stopped through here (I could have seen them in my favorite record store in SLC when Sheff was still playing with them, and didn't go), really hoping that they'll do another show here this fall.

Awesome, I'm so psyched you enjoyed the show, Scumbo! Meiburg's voice was also what I left most impressed with when I saw them; the fact that he can recreate the album vocals so clearly and beautifully is incredible. The only other band I can say I had that reaction to recently was Dirty Projectors (in response to the girls, obviously). How was the turnout for the show?

We should push for that live album though; they definitely need it.

What say you to this?

Pitchfork: Shearwater's Meiburg + Xiu Xiu's Stewart = Blue Water White Death

Back in February, we reported that Xiu Xiu frontman Jamie Stewart and Shearwater main man Jonathan Meiburg had teamed up to form a new band called Blue Water White Death. And now this union of art-pop stars has unveiled its plans to the world. The self-titled debut album from Blue Water White Death is coming October 12 from Graveface.

Stewart and Meiburg took their band name from a 1971 documentary that chronicled explorers who looked for sharks in Australia's Dangerous Reef. You can watch a trailer for that movie here; it looks scarier than a motherfucker.

St. Vincent/Modest Mouse producer John Congleton produced the album, and that's the vaguely terrifying cover art above. The tracklist is below, and you'll be interested to learn that it includes tracks titled "This Is the Scrunchyface of My Dreams" and "Rendering the Juggalos".

Blue Water White Death:

01 This Is the Scrunchyface of My Dreams
02 Song for the Greater Jihad
03 Grunt Tube
04 Nerd Future
05 The End of Sex
06 Death for Christmas
07 Gall
08 Rendering the Juggalos

Hell yeah, I'm down with anything new from Meiburg.

Apparently that documentary has influenced Meiburg pretty heavily; he talks about it in the Tiny Desk concert above as well.

Fall dates announced:

10-01-03 Las Vegas, NV - Matador at 21
10-10 Austin, TX - Austin City Limits Festival
11-02 Birmingham, AL - The Bottletree *
11-03 Tallahassee, FL - The Engine Room *
11-04 Orlando, FL - The Social *
11-05 Atlanta, GA - The Earl *
11-06 Chapel Hill, NC - Local 506 *
11-07 Charlottesville, VA - The Southern *
11-09 Washington, DC - Rock & Roll Hotel *
11-10 Philadelphia, PA - Johnny Brenda's *
11-11 Boston, MA - The Middle East Downstairs *#
11-12 Brooklyn, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg *
11-13 Pittsburgh, PA - Thunderbird Cafe *
11-14 Detroit, MI - The Magic Stick *
11-16 Chicago, IL - Lincoln Hall *
11-18 St. Louis, MO - Duck Room *
11-19 Lawrence, KS - The Jackpot *
11-20 Norman, OK - The Opolis *

* with Damien Jurado
# with Horse Feathers, Anais Mitchell

Too bad there's nothing terribly close by. :(

I'd consider that Philly show if I wasn't already planning a trip home that month. Can't really afford to do that.

Megabus! I mean, if you could manage to get $1 seats. Of course, I also sympathize with the poor college student thing, considering I'm often in the same boat.

Has anybody else listened to this new instrumental album Shearwater put out called Shearwater is Enron? It's weird, but beautiful, and I like it.

banana.gif

Back
Top Bottom