Shearwater - The Golden Archipelago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How big was the special edition book in the vinyl versions?

My CD case is broken, and the cover and disc fell out when I opened it, that's always nice. At least it has the paper thing to hold the cover and book in.

CD sized.

Suppposedly, it was only going out with vinyl preorders, though I don't know if that's accurate or not.

Mine has the CD sized one as well. So maybe it's first run rather than only preorders.

Good deal, glad you got one too. I also like that the band and album name aren't on the actual cover of the vinyl. More room for that gorgeous photo to exist untouched.

Good deal, glad you got one too. I also like that the band and album name aren't on the actual cover of the vinyl. More room for that gorgeous photo to exist untouched.

The booklet is neat but I can't imagine I would have had much use for the dossier version of it they were selling separate. Agreed on the cover writing. Same thing with the Actor and Dear Science LPs. It's so much better to have just a photo.

Black Eyes is awesome.

Indeed.

How are you guys feeling about the super proggy stuff going on (like in "Corridors," which I adore)? I'm fucking loving it, loving that direction, because I think Meiburg's suited to it perfectly, but some reviews are complaining about it a bit, I guess.

I know I was in the minority here, but I was never able to warm myself to Rook. Just didn't care for it. But I'm loving what I hear on this one.

I hate admitting it, but when I finally did get back to Rook, I just didn't like it anywhere near as much.

Interesting. While I really enjoyed my first listen to this, I still prefer Rook to this by quite a bit, but I've listened to Rook a ton. I'm sure I'll like Archipelago more as I get better acquainted with it, but I guess I'm surprised to hear that some can love one and not the other.

LeMeL, did you see this in the Pitch4k review?
Meiburg's voice is finely honed, and it's the primary reason the band is frequently (and justifiably) compared to Talk Talk-- he has the same richness, range, and inexact enunciation that made Mark Hollis so enigmatic and interesting.

We r so smrt.

I don't dislike Rook, I just remember being blown away by it, and it wasn't there on recent "spins".

Speaking of Spin, their review displeases me :grumpy:

Spins reviews are sooooooooooo spotty. I remember canceling my subscription years back because they gave an album an absolutely miserable review, but then placed it in their top 10 of the year a few months later. If even they don't respect their own reviews, why should anyone else?! :wink:

Spins reviews are sooooooooooo spotty. I remember canceling my subscription years back because they gave an album an absolutely miserable review, but then placed it in their top 10 of the year a few months later. If even they don't respect their own reviews, why should anyone else?! :wink:

I got a free subscription to Spin after Lollapalooza last year, and...I did renew it just last month, not because I care so much about the scores they give the reviews, but they tend to be fairly good about describing what the albums sound like, and I've taken a keen interest in that. In fact, I'm listening to an album right now that they actually did give an 8/10 to and it's kind of blowing my mind with awesome (thread imminent), I've found a lot of albums I've loved through their reviews, so it's worth the $15 to me. ($15 for three years...good lord the magazine industry is in trouble)

I subscribed to Magnet for a while, Spin for a while, and Filter for a while. Not sure what it was, but I stopped buying not just music magazines, but all magazines. I guess I'm contributing to the industry being in trouble, the internet is just so resourceful and timely.

I subscribed to Magnet for a while, Spin for a while, and Filter for a while. Not sure what it was, but I stopped buying not just music magazines, but all magazines. I guess I'm contributing to the industry being in trouble, the internet is just so resourceful and timely.

I think I just really enjoy getting mail :lol:.

Plus, having all of those reviews there at once gives me a good amount of stuff to listen to for the month, and then, hey look, another magazine!

I got a free subscription to Spin after Lollapalooza last year, and...I did renew it just last month, not because I care so much about the scores they give the reviews, but they tend to be fairly good about describing what the albums sound like, and I've taken a keen interest in that.

Whether or not they LIKE the album is a bit more difficult to discern. :wink:

So one of my friends picked this album up over the weekend. He's an Okkervil River fan, but this is his first Shearwater album. Interestingly, he thinks Meiburg sounds similar to Guy Garvey from Elbow. I never would have made the comparison myself, but the more I think about it, I can definitely hear some similarities from time to time.

Thought I'd share.

Any mention of "he who must not be named" will automatically kill a thread. Someone should post something about him every time Health Care is mentioned.

Just getting to listening to this now, and let me tell you, it's a great album.

And you know what else? Black Eyes is awesome.

So, it's a cool, but not chilly day in Minneapolis. Grey clouds blanket the sky, though every so often a burst of sunlight breaks through, with light rain showers occurring on and off all day. It's one of those rainy spring days that isn't too dreary, and in fact, has a bit of promise to it, because soon enough, the leaves will flourish on the trees as life comes back after the dead of winter.

In other words, it's the perfect setting to see Shearwater tonight. Fuck to the yeah.

You know, I was going to keep mum about the whole thing, but for you, Scumbo, I'll share the experience. Maybe even show off some pictures. :wink:

Are you seeing them in SLC?

Back
Top Bottom