Shearwater - The Golden Archipelago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onebloodonelife

Blue Crack Addict
So, we've been talking about these guys in the Okkervil River thread for awhile now, but since the album comes out tomorrow (and it showed up at my house today, motherfuckers!), it's time for them to get their own thread.

I'm gonna call it now: this album makes my top 5 at the end of the year.

Really looking forward to picking this up after work tomorry. I went ahead and snagged the mp3s just because I'd rather have them in v0 than 320, but haven't listened to anything. Not even the free singles. It'll be an entirely new experience.

And it looks like I'll see them at SXSW.

Really looking forward to picking this up after work tomorry. I went ahead and snagged the mp3s just because I'd rather have them in v0 than 320, but haven't listened to anything. Not even the free singles. It'll be an entirely new experience.

And it looks like I'll see them at SXSW.
No music listening at the sheriff's office, Deputy Schrempf?

No need for the nervousness, if anything, LeMeL is the one who will need to explain writing "get a new vocalist" about Jonathan Meiburg.

By the way, I have a feeling the rip both of you heard was the supposed miserable quality one based on the dates of the review. :shh:

That bastard doesn't like Antony either :(.

All the more reason to buy it when it comes out tomorrow :happy: ;).

Somehow, even though I'm hardly a Meiburg fan, the vocals are one reason why I hesitate to compare Shearwater to Antony & The Johnsons: Antony is just that awful.

This album is a must for anyone with even a passing interest in this brand of piano-led progressive rock. I prefer Rook, but it's hardly relevant, as they're both short and sound great together. Definitely worth the time (I know I'm preaching to the converted right now, but maybe Cobbler or the like will pass through).

Somehow, even though I'm hardly a Meiburg fan, the vocals are one reason why I hesitate to compare Shearwater to Antony & The Johnsons: Antony is just that awful.

You were the one to suggest that comparison to me in the first place, or I doubt I ever would've done it on my own.

Lo, The Cobbler approacheth.

If you listen to this, I'll listen to The Warning, you can take that to the bank.

Lolosaurus

My being a fan of Antony was very short lived, just sorta lost interest. Vocal wise, I think Meiburg is very indebted to Talk Talk (I think they actually even covered them as the b-side to a single during the last album).

Example (I absolutely love this song, by the way):
YouTube - Talk Talk - I believe in you

This is eerie, but I told bono_212 the same thing the night we heard it together, and even used the same Talk Talk song as an example. So yeah, I can hear that.

Spirit of Eden btw :drool:

No music listening at the sheriff's office, Deputy Schrempf?

You know how my stance changed after the Romance is Boring deal. Not saying I don't still download, but I have cooled off considerably and don't do it before the release date.

You know how my stance changed after the Romance is Boring deal. Not saying I don't still download, but I have cooled off considerably and don't do it before the release date.
I was referring to you saying you would listen after work, mocking the very idea that you had a legitimate job that didn't involve you being a borderline retarded cowboy.

Oh. Yeah I'm doing grunt work at a nonprofit downtown for a couple months, which will segue into a paid position with some city agency in April or May. Recent development.

Oh. Yeah I'm doing grunt work at a nonprofit downtown for a couple months, which will segue into a paid position with some city agency in April or May. Recent development.

That's awesome, man. Seriously. Very cool. I'm out of work, at the moment, which is nice for listening to tunes all day, but bad for somebody who, you know, buys 20 records every week. Take no prisoners. You'll be running the joint in no time.

Appreciate that very much. I'm well aware how the being out of work feels. Even though I'm not getting paid, it still feels good to actually have to be somewhere and complete some task.

Unlike you, I weaned myself off my ridiculous LP buying habit. It was a crucial step in my not being destitute.

Hey, at least I can always sell some of this shit, right? Somebody out there is going to be dying for a Bundle of Fags 7" or that OOP Twin Stumps LP, at some point. You can always count on Thee Oh Sees, too, on that front. Ebay, here I comes! ;)

i need to check this out. asap.

that is one painful voice.

Good stuff. Best of luck.

Hopefully they don't realize you're a hipster thief.
Appreciate that very much. I'm well aware how the being out of work feels. Even though I'm not getting paid, it still feels good to actually have to be somewhere and complete some task.

Unlike you, I weaned myself off my ridiculous LP buying habit. It was a crucial step in my not being destitute.
I stopped going out to eat this semester, and somehow have ended spending significantly more money. Fuck paying your own way through.

My copy is sitting on my porch right now as I'm at work. I actually came to work late today, because typically UPS delivers a few minutes before I leave, or a few minutes after. I left freaking 30 minutes late, and it still hadn't delivered. Just checked the tracking, and it arrived 6 minutes after I left. Curse you, UPS delivery man! CURSE YOU!!!!!!!

Very much enjoyed the first listen. Hopefully I can give it a couple more spins this evening.

Do you like it more, as much as, or less than Rook on first listen, Imps?

Back
Top Bottom