Shearwater - The Golden Archipelago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, so I listened to most of the album and it's pretty good. I still have a really hard time getting past the vocals though. Hopefully it will grow on me.

This album rules.

Their heaviest to date, or their heaviest in years? I haven't heard anything before Rook.

Also, I think Meiburg's voice sounds great on this album.

Pre-Rook stuff is so-so. Albums are fine, but forgettable (with a handful of good songs here and there). They've gotten better with each album to my tastes.

Can I ask, and I say this with full realization that I am really hard to please in the vocal department, did you enjoy this singer's voice the first time you heard it or did it take a while to grow on you?

I REALLY like the music on this album, but I'm still having a hard time accepting this guy's voice. He just sounds creepy...not in a good way.

enjoy? not sure if that's the word i would use. found interesting, and thought it complimented the music well, yes. but while i think it tends to be creepy at times, it's very much so creepy in a good way.

or maybe i can't really comment since i still only have rook. love it and have listened to it quite a few times, but apparently forgot to get the one this thread was originally made about.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like something similar to The National, where I don't exactly love the vocalist, but it compliments the music well.

I'll check out Rook as well.

So far my only "problem" with this album is that I feel like every song is about to break out into "Castaways".

I guess I understand people not caring for his voice since it's a relatively unique style of singing, but don't at all agree with the idea that he sounds "creepy". I've always thought he has a fantastic voice. Are you guys familiar with Talk Talk? Fairly similar vocal styles, he's a big fan.

Well, I enjoy this album, for sure. I don't have that same enthusiasm after hearing it that I did with The Golden Archipelago, but I wasn't reading case studies the first time I heard that one either.

I guess I understand people not caring for his voice since it's a relatively unique style of singing, but don't at all agree with the idea that he sounds "creepy". I've always thought he has a fantastic voice. Are you guys familiar with Talk Talk? Fairly similar vocal styles, he's a big fan.

Yeah, and it's not that he has a "bad" voice, I'm just not a big fan of how he holds his notes. Many times he will trail off and quiver. I'm sure there is much better terminology to describe this style, so my apologies.

bono_212 said:
Well, I enjoy this album, for sure. I don't have that same enthusiasm after hearing it that I did with The Golden Archipelago, but I wasn't reading case studies the first time I heard that one either.

It's better. More varied, with better production and likely higher replay value. Golden Archipelago was very pretty, but I think I'll play this album more often.

Last year, we already had Kaputt and Let England Shake by this point, my #2 and #1 for the whole year. I dunno, I guess it just feels slow relative to that.

I really enjoyed this on first listen. The general atmosphere of the whole thing is very much in tune with the vocals this time around.

whoever said the opening track was good was not kidding. soo good.

second track ain't too shabby, either. oh, i will certainly be purchasing this.

Dang, mine just barely shipped. I should have it tomorrow though. Really looking forward to hearing it again (only listened to the stream once).

Blood red vinyl. :drool:

animaljoy.jpg

Download code doesn't work yet, unfortunately. And have I mentioned how much it pisses me off to pre-order an album on CD/vinyl and then discover later there is an "album only" bonus track on iTunes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom