Shearwater - The Golden Archipelago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, it's not until May 2nd though, so I still have a bit of time to wait.

You're in for quite the fucking treat.

I don't have terribly coherent thoughts right now (trying to gather them for the review I'll be writing in a few hours), but wow, just fucking wow. The venue they played is tiny already, but there weren't more than 50-60 people there (sort of sad in a way because people were missing out on amazing music, yet awesome because of the intimacy and feeling like they were playing for me and me alone). Met Jonathan Meiburg and Thor after the show and had them sign the "Rooks" 7" I picked up; both were extremely gracious, kind, and mild-mannered. Plus, Meiburg gave me a really marvelous, touching hug. It was an all around awe-inspiring, breathtaking performance, for sure.

And, of course, here's some pictures from the night:

P4060406color.jpg

P4060361.jpg

P4060407.jpg

P4070432.jpg

P4070431.jpg

P4070419.jpg

P4070422.jpg

P4070433.jpg

Awesome! I really like the cover for that 7inch. They're playing here on a Sunday, which is pretty much a recipe for disaster in Utah, so I'm expecting the crowd to be pretty tiny here as well. Sometimes those small shows can be really memorable though.

Did you talk Meiburg into touring with Okk Riv again? ;)

Wow, only 50-60 people? You're right, that's amazing and yet sad all at once.

Yeah, I couldn't believe it. I mean, they aren't huge by any means, but they're a nationally-renowned band, and for a city with a fairly strong background in indie music, it was a bit of a disappointing turnout in a way. Needless to say, I expected more people, but at the same time, it was a truly astonishing concert because of it.

Awesome! I really like the cover for that 7inch. They're playing here on a Sunday, which is pretty much a recipe for disaster in Utah, so I'm expecting the crowd to be pretty tiny here as well. Sometimes those small shows can be really memorable though.

Did you talk Meiburg into touring with Okk Riv again? ;)

It's a gorgeous cover, between the birds and the iceberg sitting lonesome in the ocean with the rocks as the foreground. I'm always a fan of their covers.

Wow, things are open on Sundays in Utah? I figured the entire state would be shut off like a switch. :wink: Small crowd or not, you'll have a great time, I'm sure of it.

Ha, no. But, he did tell me a funny story about seeing a sticker that he'd put up at the 400 Bar the first time he'd played there with Okkervil about ten years ago, making him a bit abashed that he'd been playing music for a decade (while, I think that's pretty admirable, especially in the current state of the business).

Enjoyed the review, but I didn't realize Hospital Ships opened. Jordan's a swell guy, if you got the opportunity to talk to him.

Enjoyed the review, but I didn't realize Hospital Ships opened. Jordan's a swell guy, if you got the opportunity to talk to him.

No worries about the self-promotion thing, your reviews are always good.

I've pondered writing reviews until I realized I never go to any gigs. Until this summer, that is.

Thanks to you both, compliments are always appreciated. I didn't get a chance to talk to Jordan, but he was a blast to watch rocking out on the shakers, tambourine, and horns.

PF, you should write some shit up. Do CD reviews if you don't go to shows terribly often. And, definitely, definitely write something about the concerts you're seeing this summer (like the fucking NASH!, dammit). Even if it doesn't get published anywhere, actually writing and reflecting about performances is a really worthwhile and rewarding experience, I've learned.

PF, you should write some shit up. Do CD reviews if you don't go to shows terribly often. And, definitely, definitely write something about the concerts you're seeing this summer (like the fucking NASH!, dammit). Even if it doesn't get published anywhere, actually writing and reflecting about performances is a really worthwhile and rewarding experience, I've learned.

:yes: i wrote a review of the U2 concert i went to in '06, it's like four pages long in word, and i like reading it because it really captures the excitement and rush i got from the show.

on another note i'm also really excited because next semester in creative writing, one of our assignments is a 1500 word review, on any topic. :drool:

I'm a writer by nature, but it's not usually my thing to write reviews. I usually am not specific enough. Who knows. If I feel like I can do it, I'm sure I'll write something after I see The National. If so, I'll submit it for here. Early June, look out. I see U2 in July, but everyone and his brother wants to see and write about U2 on this site :p.

I'm a writer by nature, but it's not usually my thing to write reviews. I usually am not specific enough. Who knows. If I feel like I can do it, I'm sure I'll write something after I see The National. If so, I'll submit it for here. Early June, look out. I see U2 in July, but everyone and his brother wants to see and write about U2 on this site :p.

Ah, see, I had no idea you were a writer. You should mention these things more often. As for specificity, I'm pretty meh about it. It's good to be specific about some things, but my writing philosophy has always been to convey a feeling or essence rather than the facts or specifics about what happened during the concert. People remember how they felt for far longer afterward than they might remember the setlist (save for a few exceptions, they know who they are...).

If you do decide to write something up after you see The National, definitely hit me up and I'll get it posted here.

what do you write, generally? what subjects are you doing at college?:)

^ i could still reel off the U2 set from the night i went a couple of weeks after the concert :lol:

I'm a journalism major. My focus is sports, but I've written about music and politics before as well. In college I haven't done anything past basic English since I'm only a freshman, I'll do a lot more specific stuff in the next couple of years.

there's a few of us around here then! have done much work experience, baseball/basketball/gridiron writing?

sorry, don't mean to derail the thread further. i guess i'll just add that this album did little for me.

There's definitely a nice little group of us, which is very cool, especially since it seems to be the 18-20 crowd, so we (hopefully) have a good amount of writing ahead of us yet and are still developing our voices, etc.

To be honest, Danny, knowing what I do about your musical tastes, that doesn't surprise me all that much; it's just not really your style, I don't think.

Well, I do more broadcasting than I do writing for sports, actually, but I have written basketball and baseball articles, as well as some more off beat stuff like volleyball.

And it looks like Los Campesinos! are playing a gig here in two weeks, so I might have a review to write even faster than I thought.

^ That's awesome. I'd love to do broadcasting but i don't think i could... certainly not Australian football anyway.

Here's hoping they tour here.. i'd love to see them.

There's definitely a nice little group of us, which is very cool, especially since it seems to be the 18-20 crowd, so we (hopefully) have a good amount of writing ahead of us yet and are still developing our voices, etc.

To be honest, Danny, knowing what I do about your musical tastes, that doesn't surprise me all that much; it's just not really your style, I don't think.

i think you're spot on there. though i really did like Uniforms.

Nope, this will be the first.

But I did see Okkervil River when Meiburg was still a member.

:shh:

Think I've actually only seen Okk with JM in the lineup since he was there for the taping last year.

Who loves the vinyl bonus tracks on this album? Oh yes, I do. Lots and lots. "The Silver Bodies" is just gorgeous.

Also, Scumbo, I expect a full report on the show when you get back.

I'm pretty sure this is just yet another reason why you should either: 1. start pirating OR (the better answer) 2. get a turntable.

I can't use a record player on Last FM, so that's not going to work. :wink:

Apparently I can buy False Sentinel off of iTunes.

Back
Top Bottom