Share your original music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HolyMeximofoJoe

The Fly
I thought it would be convenient if we had one thread where we could be able to share and discuss our original music and not have it die... And luckily I got the green light to get this sticked... So this is to encourage those musicians who may not want to create their own threads for themselves

So please share away :)

Tourist, that's some rockin music :rockon:
You all choosed a good lead off track and I envy you getting studio time let alone hype... sorry bout your singer though
You said you WERE in that band... How's your musical life going now?

And Lemon are those songs a sign your 3rd album is gonna be out so soon or are you gonna wait for the christmas cash in? :drool:

HolyMeximofoJoe said:

And Lemon are those songs a sign your 3rd album is gonna be out so soon or are you gonna wait for the christmas cash in? :drool:

I'm releasing it in the summer, like a true up-and-comer. :rockon:

HolyMeximofoJoe said:
Tourist, that's some rockin music :rockon:
You all choosed a good lead off track and I envy you getting studio time let alone hype... sorry bout your singer though
You said you WERE in that band... How's your musical life going now?

I'm not currently in a functioning band. I'm working with a singer (who's actually trying to become a cop--so I wouldn't have the same problem) and a bassist right now. Drummers, however, are increasingly difficult to come by. We're looking for a drummer and another guitarist, but I've written tons of material. Actually, recently I recorded a few songs acoustic and they turned out pretty good. I might get around to posting them someday. Anyway, thanks! Glad you liked the stuff! Oh, and we paid dearly for that studio time, by the way. It was all done in 4 days, but we paid $2400+cd replication.

www.myspace.com/indigoose

There's my music... Not as rocking as Kiss the Ground or Cut lip, but I can't play the guitar that well anyways...

I just stick to easy pop songs... Holding On and Go On are my favorite's at the moment...

Any constructive criticism and such is very welcome :)

HolyMeximofoJoe said:
www.myspace.com/indigoose

There's my music... Not as rocking as Kiss the Ground or Cut lip, but I can't play the guitar that well anyways...

I just stick to easy pop songs... Holding On and Go On are my favorite's at the moment...

Any constructive criticism and such is very welcome :)

Sounding good, man. The recording quality isn't really presentable or anything, but I'm sure you know that. You have a really good ear for melody, as far as I can tell. The songs sound effortlessly catchy. You just need some better sound quality and you'll be going places.

I do like lo-fi though :drool:

Thanks I appreciate the kind words :hi5:

My band should in the next month get enough recording time to do one song in an actual studio (birthday present)... All I use is my cheap Compaq and a mic that's for talking over the internet....

Some of mine, from my spare time...

Tear The Page
http://www.box.net/sha red/twdlhtckc4

The Flowers are Dead, Just Like My Heart
http://www.box.net/sha red/iry7hirs44

Ghost Horses
http://www.box.net/sha red/iesse6owgk

Leaves Blowing In October Wind
http://www.box.net/sha red/01jd2k7wgo

what ya's think? (This is just me on my laptop with a Samson G-Track Microphone). recorded, played (except drums), mixed, sang by me. I need a bass :)

Oh, and I'm having trouble getting to everyone elses music here at my work... stupid blocked sites. Try to hear them later.

ciao

HolyMeximofoJoe said:
Thanks I appreciate the kind words :hi5:

My band should in the next month get enough recording time to do one song in an actual studio (birthday present)... All I use is my cheap Compaq and a mic that's for talking over the internet....

For personal use... I would recommend the Samson G-Track (as mentioned in the above post). It's a great Mic for personal recordings, and comes with a software that is terrific too. It's about 150 bucks canadian, and has headphone outputs for zero latency recording, and an instrument input for electric, bass, keyboard, blah blah, whatever... well worth it.

later!

^I thought Midnight Sun was the standout track and overall a good set of songs

How many EPs and LPs you made?

Mr. MIKEphisto said:

For personal use... I would recommend the Samson G-Track (as mentioned in the above post). It's a great Mic for personal recordings, and comes with a software that is terrific too. It's about 150 bucks canadian, and has headphone outputs for zero latency recording, and an instrument input for electric, bass, keyboard, blah blah, whatever... well worth it.

later!

30 dollars would be too much for me :sad: I don't work so I have to depend on my parents for money.... Once I get a job though I'll get to work on that

And "Flowers" should be your first single I thought that song was very catchy :up:

Awesome idea guys! Will have to take a listen as I study this weekend!

I have no talent, but the dude in my signature does! :D

30 dollars would be too much for me :sad: I don't work so I have to depend on my parents for money.... Once I get a job though I'll get to work on that

And "Flowers" should be your first single I thought that song was very catchy :up:

haha... thanks. Don't think I'll be doing "singles" :)

well, if you save up... it would be worth your coin. good luck with it.

i think this is a great thread to keep alive and kicking. rather than forward a myspace link, here's a link to a zip file, myspace references available upon request:

http://www.send space.com/file/rzsbvr

remove the space between send and space...

Here’s a smattering of some of my tunes.
I’ve been involved in a few projects, and have a few active things going.
What I’m sharing here is stuff I’ve done on my own, for me. I called this project ‘cms’, my initials. Pretty creative, huh?
I’ll try to share some of the other stuff in the future.

A bit about each song:
1. The Great Divide – one of my favorite original songs. Pretty simple chord progression with a WAY overloaded arrangement. I was shooting for really modern, almost future sounding pop/rock music. I think I was listening to ‘Stand Inside Your Love’ by smashing pumpkins when I wrote this. a huge synth hook sells the song, from a yamaha synth borrowed from a friend. Neat rhythm cut keeps the chorus interesting, glammy phased guitars keep it swirling.

2. Together – was written on a 12 string, originally intended to be a solo acoustic piece. It got built up with a simple but soulful bass line, and a simple beat thet reminds of ‘1979’ by the pumpkins. Big brother (mrBrau) adds his guitar chops to lift the song from the 2nd verse, his wife lends her voice to the bridge/outro. I think it’s a bit long, but I’m very happy with it. Good song for driving on a summer day.

3. Nightsong – simple song gets complicated theme again. Late night tune about someone moving away. I goofed with a banjo and a snare drum, then recorded a bunch of crickets out my window. Choo choo train roars off in the distance at an appropriate moment. Moody acoustic night-time song.

4. Runaway – another little ballad. I have no idea what it’s about, but I think it sounds like I was obsessed with ‘no surprises’ when I wrote it (ages ago). I was.

5. Light of Day – big rock anthem. A friend from a current band sings backing vocals. Lots of guitars, swervedriver meets the edge style. I like the scripted guitar solo. I’m not much of an improv player, but have stumbled upon a few good melodies in my wankery. I also like the harmonics in the bridge. Earnest tune, maybe a bit much so. Seeing as we’re all u2 fans here, maybe earnest is good.

6. Love Will Be the Law – ok, so it’s a shitty title, and the words are really uneven. But the whole point of it was an exercise to figure if I could make my shitty new Yamaha Keyboard sound like real, or cool synth strings. I learned a lot doing this, and I actually find it to be an enjoyable listen, despite the occasionally cringe-worthy lyrics.

7. We Can Love – this was written for one of my current projects, but I got carried away having fun recording the demo, and they lost interest. I had been learning how to write effective harmonies, and wanted the whole song to be harmonized, not just the chorus or whatever. Kind of like how Slowdive and MBV harmonized through their songs. So I took the shoegaze cue for the vocals and stuck it together with a very American hard rock rhythm and guitar hook, then a big, goofy, rousing chorus. Way cool bridge in this tune. I really dig this song.

8. Beauty Queen – besides loving modern rock, I have a huge power-pop/classic pop sweet tooth. Jellyfish is one of my all time favorite bands. I’ve always marveled at their songwriting abilities (both musicianship and lyrically). I had been learning piano and wrote this nostalgic, catchy descending riff, then dressed it up with TONS of harmonies, some simple guitars and bass to fill it up, and topped it off with tongue in cheek lyrics about self pleasure and obsession with celebrity. A trip to LA and the horrific state of current American pop culture served as inspiration. A rough mix, that I keep meaning to return to and tune up. One of these days…

my stupid link appears to be working now. you might have to wait for 1 min to 'retry'.
i hope it's worth the wait. ha!

MIKEphisto, i really like the stuff. what effects did you put on your voice? it sounds a little distorted - maybe some chorus? the acoustic guitars sound good. i'm hearing a little cure, a little psychedelic furs, some peter murphy. love your electric guitar tone on 'You Were Mine (Picture Perfect). great stuff. can't wait to listen to everyone else...

edit to say:
here's an alternate link that only works for a week...
http://download.you send it.com/795A88E1193ACE6A

Last edited:
^When you said huge synth hook for "The Great Divide" you weren't kidding :wink: ...I definitely here the pumpkin influence on that song and can imagine billy singing it...

My favorites were the last two with "We Can Love" taking the cake... chorus seems very simple but it is very effective... and the verse is just as good... love it :up:

"Beauty Queen" was pop-tastic the catchiest song of the 8

Hope to hear more :)

dudeman said:

MIKEphisto, i really like the stuff. what effects did you put on your voice? it sounds a little distorted - maybe some chorus? the acoustic guitars sound good. i'm hearing a little cure, a little psychedelic furs, some peter murphy. love your electric guitar tone on 'You Were Mine (Picture Perfect). great stuff. can't wait to listen to everyone else...

Thanks very much! I'm going to listen to yours maybe tomorrow, I'll let you know what I think!

surprisingly, the electric guitar tone is an effect added to an acoustic guitar riff... for both songs. I have an electric, but I also like the "meaty" tone I get this way. HIGH levels of distortion!

The vocals... I'm not sure, because I generally just mess around with effects til I like the sound :) I think I have some Chorus and Flange... and maybe some reverb.

dudeman, I like your stuff. It sounds very good. Is it a full band you have with you? I'd love to have a drummer I could record with.

All I could think of at the beginning of 'runaway' was 'no surprises' by radiohead :)

I think my favorite is Nightsong. makes me want to buy a banjo!

Guys, check out my radiohead cover... did it tonight

All I Need
http://www. box .net/shared/dghgd21c80

*edit*...oh and if it keeps playin, and the tobin song comes on, have a laugh at it as well. But be warned, it's really dirty!

Last edited:
Oh, I've apparently missed out on this thread.
Here's my band's MySpace, we're not rehearsing at present. I was the lead guitarist.

We decided to take a break last fall and unfortunately it doesn't look like we're getting back together anytime soon.
If we're breaking up I might consider starting a profile of my own just throwing out some rough material or something.

We just had one song ready to be properly recorded before we took the break and it's got some inspiration from the early U2 sound. At least that was how I wanted it to turn out.

On Tune, Sweden - Rock
http://www.myspace.com/ontune

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom