Shane MacGowan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knuckle

Acrobat
Shane MacGowan (from the Pogues) has never been the poster boy for good health and clean living. However, I just watched that compilation video of "Here's to You Ronnie Drew" on U2.com. Shane can be seen throughout it, and frankly I don't think he can possibly have that much time left among us. He's got that certain white-gray clammy looking skin with red rings around his eyes that one sees only in the terminally ill and very, very, old.

I have tickets to see the Pogues in Philadelphia on March 13. While I'm very much looking forward to it, I think I'd rather our friend just put away the bottle and go take a good long nap. Give that poor body a rest. I can wait.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Shane is a talent, a very unique talent...

But we all knew his life would be short. He's never denied that...

A unique talent -- yes. Destined to have a short life -- a needless waste. We're already talking about him in the past tense, as if he were in the final stage of an incurable cancer. I know it's naiive to say "just put down the bottle", but that's all he really needs to do.

God has given him so much (granted, good teeth notwithstanding). There are countless people who know that they are right now living out their last days, who really don't want to die, but can't do anything about it. Shane can help himself (I think), and he should. He should forget this artist and celebrity stuff for a while, and spend some time sorting himself out. I hope he does.

Knuckle said:

A unique talent -- yes. Destined to have a short life -- a needless waste. We're already talking about him in the past tense, as if he were in the final stage of an incurable cancer. I know it's naiive to say "just put down the bottle", but that's all he really needs to do.

God has given him so much (granted, good teeth notwithstanding). There are countless people who know that they are right now living out their last days, who really don't want to die, but can't do anything about it. Shane can help himself (I think), and he should. He should forget this artist and celebrity stuff for a while, and spend some time sorting himself out. I hope he does.

not for nothing, if that's how he wants to go, then that's how he should go :shrug: it's his decision to live his life the way he does, not ours.

Knuckle said:

I never said "destined to have a short life". Shane definately has the choice to change and who knows how much it would prolong his life or not, or who knows if he'll be another Keith Richards...

But don't kid yourself into thinking it's as easy as "putting down the bottle". First of all drink is not his only vice. Shane has been very open about his vices and has been very open about the fact that he doesn't want to stop. Secondly, anyone who thinks it can't be a disease is kidding themselves.

You're right. Everyone needs to get out of the way so he can destroy himself without any delay. He's a diseased artiste and he can't stop himself and no one should ever try. There is no cure.

Knuckle said:
You're right. Everyone needs to get out of the way so he can destroy himself without any delay. He's a diseased artiste and he can't stop himself and no one should ever try. There is no cure.

if his family and close friends want to try to get him to stop, which i'm sure some have, that's one thing.

anyone else? none of their business.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

if his family and close friends want to try to get him to stop, which i'm sure some have, that's one thing.

anyone else? none of their business.

I agree. My point was just that choosing to destroy oneself is not a "victimless crime" so to speak. It can be an extremely selfish thing to do when you take your family and friends along for the ride. As far as others go, I agree, none of my/their business. Still, unfortunate though.

did he ever get dentures?

his teeth were shot to hell and i am not suprised he never had a brain abscess or any major health problem stemming from his messed up teeth.

someone told me once he got them filed down in preparation for dental work but then he didn't have any more treatment. i always thought they had just rotted away. :yikes:

so, about the guy's music...

you know, peace & love gets a bad rap. "misty morning, albert bridge" is a damn near great song.

I second u2popmofo...from now on Shane McGowan is like a secret incantation or something.

But on topic...yeah he didn't look worse than usual, but usual is pretty bad in the first place. Fine musician though.

IWasBored said:
so, about the guy's music...

you know, peace & love gets a bad rap. "misty morning, albert bridge" is a damn near great song.

I agree IWasBored. Misty Morning is a great song and so is London You're A Lady. White City, Young Ned, Gartloney Rats, Cotton Fields, lots of good stuff. An underrated Pogues album, as is Hell's Ditch.

How did Yertl know what U2popmofo meant. This old timer still doesn't have a clue :shrug: What is She's Alive from, Bride of Frankenstein?

Anyways, I thought Shane was in good form last couple times I saw the Pogues, so I'd make an effort to see them if your in Washington DC or NYC or Boston or where-ever they're playing in March. Especially the last night if there are multiple shows...........Fiesta is usually quite a party as the opening acts come out and join them :up:

i think they were referring to my return from the dead at the mention of anything pogues-related.

nah, i'm still dead. but on a similar note (similar to this thread, not my existence), flogging molly do have a new album out...

IWasBored said:
i think they were referring to my return from the dead at the mention of anything pogues-related.

nah, i'm still dead. but on a similar note (similar to this thread, not my existence), flogging molly do have a new album out...

I posted about this and no one commented. :sad:

IWasBored said:

Now I get it IWasBored. I'm a little slow on the uptake :)

Pogues are in D.C. this weekend, NYC next week (15,16 & 17th) with Billy Bragg on the 16th which should be very interesting & Ollin & William Elliot Whitmore on the 17th (St. Patty's Day) which will be beyond :drool: . Reviews from Chicago sound great & Shane seems to be in top form. Someone get their ass there so I can relive it vicariously through your review. I'm pumped just thinking about it :hyper:

Anyone catch Body of an American on tonights episode of The Wire?

It is part of the set next week at The Pogues shows in NYC and Boston.

UnforgettableLemon said:

I posted about this and no one commented. :sad:

yeah, but it was either in the dkm or fm thread, wasn't it? i'm too lazy to scroll back through this thing :shifty: and even with the crazy level of success dkm is enjoying these days, IF is still the one place where a million plastic paddys still don't care.

Shane McGowen provided me hours of entertainment from his appearance on RTE to sing "The Ballad of Ronnie Drew."

HOURS.

Bless his heart.

i'm either too drunk (which isn't the case) or too stupid (quite likely) to be able to find the other pogues thread where i mentioned having tickets to see them this time through new england. went to the second of the boston shows this year, and...as far as seeing the band, i'm glad i went. i'm pretty much done with the list of bands that still tour that i need to see before the stop playing shows. music sounded good. shane showed up and remembered probably about 90% of the words. he fucked up on "rainy night in soho" and sang the "and now this song is over..." verse twice. and there was one other point. but other than that, the only bummer (aside from the idiot crowd, but that's another story that i'm sure no one wants to here) was philip chevron or whoever it was singing "thousands are sailing." it was decent, but it wasn't what i wanted to hear. oh well. i almost left before the encore, because they closed with "sick bed of cuchullain," which was so perfect that i didn't want to hear anything else...until they came back out and played "sally macclenanne" and "rainy night in soho." awesome songs, so who could be disapointed there?

:up:

Am suprised he has lived this long tbh. Anyone that has been along for the ride with Shane, would have been expecting him to meet his maker at almost anytime over the last 25 yrs!

Back
Top Bottom