Script of the Bridge - that rare feeling...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
You know that feeling you get when you hear an album for the first time and you instinctively know that it is a masterpiece and that it will always remain an important album to you?

The last time I remember that happening was with Achtung Baby over 20 years ago.

Amazingly, it happened a couple weeks ago with Script of the Bridge by The Chameleons.

Anyone who has not heard of them...you are likely in for a rare treat.

They tend to draw some U2 comparisons and I can personally note a few but they are by no means a Coldplay or anything that lukewarm...

These guys are the real deal yet strangely overlooked by the major music press...

AMAZING album, and I'm so glad a thread now exists for these guys. Also, What Does Anything Mean? Basically expands delightfully into more melodic directions following the more aggressive tone of Script of the Bridge.

Axver had a Chameleons song that I really loved on one of his DI lists. I've been meaning to pick up something from them for a while.

Axver had a Chameleons song that I really loved on one of his DI lists. I've been meaning to pick up something from them for a while.

Oh man I actually envy you.

I would suggest getting the album and listen to it front to back...and go somewhere memorable and peaceful where you will not be interrupted...

The Chameleons are awesome. Definitely one of the best post-punk bands.

Any fan who doesn't have The Fan And The Bellows really needs to get it for Nostalgia and In Shreds. It brings together their non-album stuff from the first half of the eighties.

I had this on cassette back in the day. Unfortunately, I had the US release that was cut down to 8 tracks and then reordered. Why labels were still pulling that kind of shit in 1983 is beyond me. Of course, I didn't know the difference at the time.

Yeah, my vinyl copy is the half-assed American "LP" version. I'm glad to have it, but I would never go out of my way to listen to it.

Wow, I just looked at the tracklist for that butchered version - I can't believe anybody thought that was a good idea. At least they kept Don't Fall and Monkeyland, and lulz at Up the Down Escalator having its title extended by adding "(There Must Be Something Wrong Boys)". Just looks goofy.

Just heard Strange Times.

Not yet having gone beyond the first three records, I'm convinced these guys can do no wrong. Amazing.

iron yuppie said:

Yeah, Ashley did too. I listened to the first album shortly after that and thought it was great, but I haven't had a chance to listen to anything else.

Just heard Strange Times.

Not yet having gone beyond the first three records, I'm convinced these guys can do no wrong. Amazing.

You and I both need to move on to the Tony Fletcher Walked On Water EP. It was meant to be the follow-up album to Strange Times, but then their manager died and they broke up and the EP came out instead. Practically everybody says it's amazing.

Back
Top Bottom