Saint Etienne

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
Does anyone hear like the band Saint Etienne? I highly recommend them. I have two of their albums, Tiger Bay and Sound of Water and there's a huge contrast in styles, yet it's all excellent. Tiger Bay is what the band calls "folk music through techno and dub" and Sound of Water is a bit more of a downtempo type album. You may have also heard their wonderful cover of Neil Young's Only Love Can Break Your Heart (which features a certain Moira Lambert on vocals and not Saint Etienne's actual singer, Sarah Cracknell) or their collaboration with Paul van Dyk, Tell Me A Riddle or something (I forget). Basically if you like pop music (as in gorgeous hooks and lovely vocals and musical backings) you'll love Saint Etienne.

Anyone else like them?

Last edited:
Yep, they are really good. :D She has an amazing voice - not a 'big' voice like a lot of female artists, but just sort of understated and atmospheric. Their latest, 'Finisterre' has some really good stuff on it too. :) (meegannie, your copy is burned and will be sent momentarily) I saw them live, actually, and they all seemed really nice and so happy when the crowd was so receptive.

meegannie said:
SOMEONE is supposed to send me some. :mad:

Oh, just saw that you said that. Nevermind!! :wave:
my cd burner was broken for a while :rant: but i've figured out how to make it work (about 10 wasted cds later)...i can only put a max of 14 songs per cd though. :shrug:

Last edited:
Saint Etienne did an incredibly great track in 1991, called "Filthy". I had it on my answering machine quite some time... there is this cool female voice going "hello... hahaha... hello... anybody home".

I think the last albums of Saint Etienne are too cold.

You MUST get Good Humour, Yertle.

One of the best albums of the 90's. Lounge pop at its absolute finest.

The last one, Tales From Turnpike House, was actually very good too.

Saint Etienne - London Conversations - Home

You can keep up to date with all the latest news, watch all the videos, see exclusive behind the scenes footage and also contribute to our project of collecting London Conversations.

The new Best Of album London Conversations including the brand new single Method Of Modern Love is released on 16th February 2009.

London Conversations also includes the new tracks This Is Tomorrow and Burnt Out Car.

Visit the News pages for more information.

Click here to pre-order the brand new single 'Method Of Modern Love'

Can't wait to get this.

Back
Top Bottom