Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger, Cardinology, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I should check this out, but I haven't listened to a Ryan Adams album since 29 an I hold some apparently unpopular opinion on Jacksonville City Nights (um, I like it).

You should give Ashes & Fire a chance too. All the other records in between have a number of tracks I like but a number that don't work for me either (which is kind of always true with Adams work when he just lets loose so much material but he had a better batting average in the first half of the 2000s).

As for this one, I haven't given it a listen since the stream, meant to pick it up yesterday until the U2 curve ball. Both his and U2's albums struck me as clipped to the middle, there's nothing low end/embarrassing but the heights/potential classics seem to be missing for me as well. Oh and both albums have standout tracks with the word Trouble in the title. Hopefully it'll grow on me with a drive/listen in the car.

You should give Ashes & Fire a chance too. All the other records in between have a number of tracks I like but a number that don't work for me either (which is kind of always true with Adams work when he just lets loose so much material but he had a better batting average in the first half of the 2000s).

As for this one, I haven't given it a listen since the stream, meant to pick it up yesterday until the U2 curve ball. Both his and U2's albums struck me as clipped to the middle, there's nothing low end/embarrassing but the heights/potential classics seem to be missing for me as well. Oh and both albums have standout tracks with the word Trouble in the title. Hopefully it'll grow on me with a drive/listen in the car.

oh yeah, i see i have quite a bit of catching up to do, actually.

I like it quite a bit.

But I also really like Easy Tiger, which seems to be an unpopular opinion, so ......

I like Jacksonville City Nights

i could be completely wrong, i just thought that the general consensus around here when it came out was that it sucked, and outside of total 100% worshipping fanatics, i was the only one who liked it. but then again, that was so long ago that most of those people may not be here or have changed their mind since then...

I like it quite a bit.

But I also really like Easy Tiger, which seems to be an unpopular opinion, so ......

Easy Tiger is an extremely listenable album, a great driving record, but none of the tracks stand with his best work for me.

GUITAR SOLO! :lol:

i could be completely wrong, i just thought that the general consensus around here when it came out was that it sucked, and outside of total 100% worshipping fanatics, i was the only one who liked it. but then again, that was so long ago that most of those people may not be here or have changed their mind since then...

It's probably in my top 2 or 3 Ryan Adams albums. It's the most full-on country record he's ever cut, and it reeks of atmosphere. I really need to get it on vinyl, actually. Heartbreaker sounds pretty amazing, so I can only imagine that this works even better.

And I second the Ashes and Fire recommendation; it's a bit saccharine at times, but that's just what Ryan does. The guitar is incredibly intricate and the melodies are among his most memorable.

I *cough* found the Live At Carnegie Hall albums online somewhere, it's quite good so far - all acoustic but I happen to like his songs stripped down like this.

Not sure If I want to drop $100 for the vinyl set but I'm tempted now...

Ryan is recording a cover of Tswift's 1989 album in the style The Smiths.

#damnyouryan

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm not sure what to make of this, I like it though.

Having never listened to 1989 other than hearing Shake It Off a couple of times I'm almost treating this like an RA album which, especially from a song-writing perspective isn't fair but yeah, I think its kind of cool.

I thought I read he was going to cover the album in the vein of the smiths covering TSwizzle. It just sounds like Ryan Adams. Which is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

There is not a single track on 1989 that is as good as the worst track on Fearless, Speak Now, or RED.

The whole point of this project seems to be to prove that Taylor's songwriting can hold up without all the production. If that's the case, he should have recorded Speak Now instead. It has many of her best songs and she wrote the whole album herself.

Ryan Adams versions of Back to December and Enchanted would actually be really good.

Back
Top Bottom