Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger, Cardinology, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
61jExBypTxL.jpg

Looks like I'll be making a custom cover for this one.

yeah, its kind of hideous... he doesn't really do many good album covers though

I just had a conversation with someone about this. Mainly, Cardinology. Also, this new cover is terrible. I can't even look at it.

Gold and Heartbreaker are great album covers.

Ryan seems to only get it very right or very wrong.

Ryan Adams, BRYAN Adams, HAHAHA, I HAVE NEVER HEARD THAT JOKE BEFORE!!!!!

AAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:|

Did he go away for a little while? Or did I just not hear about how crazy prolific he's been in the last 5 years (as opposed to the years before it) because BC doesn't post here anymore? Or the third option that I've just subconsciously ignored this thread until now, I guess.

I'm about to hit this stream up. I'm going in as someone who's not really a huge fan of his work, but adored his last album...I'm being optimistic about this one, we'll see what happens.

Alright, my (one listen) thoughts: While it does have a stronger rock song, this time around, it still had the same pleasantries as the last, so maybe I just need to revisit his catalog or something. I wanted to love the opener, but it sounds too much like that one Fiona Apple song and it was throwing me off. "Kim" and "Am I Safe" are wonderful, wonderful songs, though. There was another one I really loved, as well, but I'm not sure if it was "Feels like Fire" or "I Just Might".

Anyways, real good after one go, but not as good as the last. Perhaps I will change my mind on that. Tune in to find out!

yeah, you really should give his previous catalogue another try because I don't think you will find anyone who will argue that his recent material comes close to his early work.

Don't get me wrong, I like his newer stuff (I even liked Cardinology) but his earlier stuff is way better.

yeah, you really should give his previous catalogue another try because I don't think you will find anyone who will argue that his recent material comes close to his early work.

Don't get me wrong, I like his newer stuff (I even liked Cardinology) but his earlier stuff is way better.

I very much like Ashes & Fire more than anything else I've heard by him, there's not question for me there. It's not that I don't like his earlier stuff, at all. I just didn't have any of it quite move me on the level that that one did, nor a few individual songs, here and there, from those albums. He suffers from being an artist that recorded one song I love so very much that it trumps everything else he's ever released, mostly by a long way ("Let it Ride").

But, yeah, I think I'm more coming around to him, these days, so I welcome the opportunity to revisit some stuff.

Love Is Hell is one of my favorite albums of the 00s. Some really killer tunes on that one.

This is my favorite since, shit...I don't know, Cold Roses? I don't think it's quite that good, but Easy Tiger/Cardinology/Ashes & Fire were too relaxed for me. Good songwriting on those, but I'm more of a Whiskeytown fan and this album rocks more without lacking any of the emotion I expect from him.

I also like that he has a very clear musical inspiration here: 80s heartland rock. Definitely some Springsteen, Mellencamp and Petty in there.

Last edited:
Cold Roses is my favorite album of him, I also like Ashes and Fire very much. The new one certainly has some strong moments, but overall I think it needs some time to get into them, nothing really outstanding for me so far.

I'm feeling mixed about this after one listen. I love the guitar tone throughout - it has an 80s ambiance to it in a way I can't quite put my finger on - but some of these songs struggle to find their legs. Regardless I still like Gimme Something Good quite a bit.

I should check this out, but I haven't listened to a Ryan Adams album since 29 an I hold some apparently unpopular opinion on Jacksonville City Nights (um, I like it).

Back
Top Bottom