Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger, Cardinology, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoChick....

Not sure if you remember me around here, but I do remember your undying love of Ryan Adams. I just wanted to let you know that after years of waiting I finally saw Ryan Adams and the Cardinals live. They opened for Oasis here in Edmonton....they sold out of merch lol.

Cool! I'm going to assume you enjoyed it. ;) Feel free to verify that by sharing your thoughts on the show!

Oh yes...I really did enjoy it. The whole building enjoyed it. I just wish I could have seen one of his shows in a smaller venue to better "connect" with the band. I HAD to pick up the new cd as a result of this show. My addiction will begin shortly.

Those shows are right around my birthday (and it's one that ends in a 0 this year :ohmy: ), so I considered making the trip down for them. The truth is, I can't say I trust him enough to travel all that way. I've seen him three times, and those shows have been among my best and worst concert experiences.

I read your piece when you posted it on Facebook last night, and I agree with quite a bit of it. I'm disappointed he's calling it quits, for now at least, especially since he really only won me back in the last six months or so, but even this early in his career, he's leaving behind quite a catalog. I highly doubt this will be the last we see of him, though.

Thanks so much, BIMM!!!

Here is the playlist, on the air as I type:

Tennessee Sucks (Demolition)
I See Monsters (Love Is Hell)
Hotel Chelsea Nights (Love Is Hell)
The Rescue Blues (Gold)
Goodnight, Hollywood Blvd (Gold)
A Kiss Before I Go (Jacksonville City Nights)
Dear John (Jacksonville City Nights)
Games (Jacksonville City Nights)
Peaceful Valley (Jacksonville City Nights)
Easy Plateau (Cold Roses)
Sweet Illusions (Cold Roses)
Cold Roses (Cold Roses)
Magnolia Mountain (Cold Roses)
Beautiful Sorta (Cold Roses)
Life Is Beautiful (Cold Roses)
Mockingbird (Cold Roses)
Two (Easy Tiger)
The Sun Also Sets (Easy Tiger)
I Taught Myself How To Grow Old (Easy Tiger)
Born Into A Light (Cardinology)
Magick (Cardinology)
Cobwebs (Cardinology)
Let Us Down Easy (Cardinology)
Sink Ships (Cardinology)
Like Yesterday (Cardinology)
Amy (Heartbreaker)
Oh My Sweet Carolina (Heartbreaker)

What's the word about that huge box set of unreleased albums? Did I hear correct a year or so ago about that?

It wasn't the best show I've seen of his, but still pretty damn good.

They started off really jamming, but Ryan was having issues with his inner ear monitors, so very embarassed he asked for a 5 minute break to try and fix the issue. Next thing we know they came out and played all sitting close to each other and played the rest of the show a little more subdued, which I actually prefer with Ryan. We got to hear Born Into the Light twice because like he said, the first time it sounded like Star Wars in his ear.

He was in pretty good spirits despite everything, every show I've seen since sobriety he's hardly talked to the crowd but he did a fair bit last night. The crowd was obnoxious, I was quite embarassed of my hometown last night, but it didn't seem to phase them...

All in all good show. :up:

If it's true he's going to be gone awhile, I'm glad I got to see him leave on a positive note...

I was at the San Antonio show too. I enjoyed it and thought the band was really great. Ryan is such a great singer too with this voice filling the Majestic Theater (awesome venue for real bands!!).

When he asked to take a 5 minute break to fix his monitor I felt the vibe the band built up just went away & then they come back on 15 minutes later to play sitting down. It was just kind of weird and as BonoVox put it, embarrassing. I've never seen a band take that long of a break 6-7 songs into the set. Overall a solid show though.

Mandy Moore and rocker Ryan Adams have wed, reps for both stars confirm to Usmagazine.com.

They tied the knot Tuesday in Savannah, Georgia, adds the reps.

The secret wedding should come as no surprise.

After confirming her engagement to Adams in February, Moore said she wanted the wedding to be "less ... of a big deal."

"Hopefully, it can happen and slip by unnoticed by everybody," said the singer, 24, who has dated Adams, 34, off-and-on since March 2008. "I guess we have to be sort of sneaky about it, but I'll see what I can accomplish."

She added that she has never been "that kind of girl" who obsesses over her wedding day and added that she hadn't even thought about a dress.

"I kind of feel like, because I've been able to get married in a few films, I kind of got the whole giant wedding fuss out of my system," Moore said.

In April's Marie Claire, Moore calls Adams "a good egg. I'm in awe of him -- his brain, his passion. He's truly one of a kind."

:ohmy:

I still think they are a surprising couple...:der: :laugh:...but I have no reason to wish them anything other than happiness. :cute: :heart:

Okay, well, I could be selfish and hope for heartbreak so that we could maybe get some really, really awesome sad music from Ryan...but I won't do that. :wink:

I was very busy obsessing about Ryan in anticipation of this weekend, and then NLOTH dropped, so of course, I had to obsess about my first foray into serious rock fandom some 26 years ago. I think I won't be listening to U2 this weekend, though. I woke up too early, went on the Ryan forums, put Ryan on the headphones.

The War Memorial Auditorium is a classic cathedral-like venue with great acoustics and history for vibes, architecturally impressive and adjacent to the offices where politicians do the people's business most of the week. I saw Ryan with the cardinals here in October 07 and Sound Tribe in November 08. It was raining and misty those nights, too, just like last night, the last Saturday of winter.

I must say that this show challenged and rewarded me because I had a single balcony seat. Imagine a happily geeked and tweaked Ryan fan actually sitting in a seat, tapping his feet, waving his arms, rocking out between two strangers, face melting to the floor and denims sopping wet with all the jiz the rock gods caused me to spontaneously splooge all over myself. This sold-out crowd was totally respectful and entranced for the most part, if not as openly and overwhelmingly overjoyed as me.

Seriously though, from the balcony, center section 33, things sounded solid, and the seat provided a proper place for taking notes and studying the set and setlist. Still, I am really excited about absorbing tonight's show standing or dancing on the mainfloor. I love how the sculptured logo, the lovely “peace cardinal” emerges from the back of Brad's drumkit like a psychedelic percussion totem. The glowing blue roses that hang from the rigging, suspended in mid-air as if to say “open all night” only add to the religiously surreal ambiance.

How great to hear so much live Cardinology—pure powerful pulsations of perfect rock. “Fix It,” “Born Into A Light,” and “Cobwebs” near the front of the set with “Crossed Out Name” and “Magick” holding the back—all five tracks framing the main set like blistering bookends of blazing genius. Ryan's wail at the end of “Cobwebs” sent shivers throughout me as he peeled the paint, rafters, and roof off the place. God gave this man wholly incomparable and highly compatible doses of creative vision and a holy voice, and it's frankly impossible to imagine the Cardinals retiring during these peak moments of sonic achievement.

After “Freeway to the Canyon,” one of a handful of songs featuring Neal Casal on lead vocals, the boyish joshing and joking banter began and would continue between songs for the rest of the gig. This first foray into sheer silliness centered around comments about Foreigner and the Eagles and grocery shopping and library books and “the spirit of rock and roll” being problem solving, ending with Ryan's remark: “Let's get back to some songs about mental illness.” This was the first of many moments when I feared my smile would break my face before the jams melted it. Then, “I See Monsters.”

After “Let It Ride,” we got the Jon Graboff “joke of the night” followed by a cover of the Alice In Chains' 1992 song “Down In The Hole” followed by a comment that many in the crowd were too young to have experienced it back in the day. In my section, though, we exchanged laughs and knowing glances, because we were all old enough to not fit the demographic of that jab!

I think it was between gorgeous and haunting versions of “Everybody Knows” and “When The Stars Go Blue” that Ryan introduced The Cardinals, first as “fine pieces of meat at the dining table” and then by name and of course interspersed with random poetry about juicing, chess, and general badassery. During a short silence, the man next to me made a quip about hearing “Stairway to Freebird,” and I mused to myself that these MFCardinals warrant that kind of worship.

Some wonked-out noodling transmogrified into a wickedly transcendent “Peaceful Valley,” a portentous choir just killing the slow and sacred “trying to find a peaceful song” section. These were some of those moments, some fleeting five minutes a person just wishes would last forever and ever. I knew I wanted to hear this song and bad, but I chose not to fixate on what would or would not be in the setlist and just let it wash over me. I am so blessed to have bathed in these Cardinal waters!

Sadly, Casal's singing on “Lost Satellite” sent many people in the balcony to the bathroom and the bar. I think Neal's songs were solid, but it's hard to share lead singer duties with a performer as revered as Ryan, who ditched the guitar and gave it all to the mic with “The Rescue Blues” and “Oh My God, Whatever, Etc.” while Graboff left the pedal steel for lead guitar.

Having arrived at showtime, I barely made it to the bathroom and back to my seat without a beer before the end of “Beautiful Sorta.” I finally took a pee and party break just before “Sun Also Sets” and made it back to my perch just before the end of “Oh My Sweet Carolina.” With a Fat Tire in each fist and soon in my belly, I rode out the show in sheer fits of sensory bliss. When the first set reached the two hour mark, I knew the end was near, but I also knew that too many bands were already at the bar at this point. Before the momentous “Magick,” we got more random yet poetic chit chat from the newlywed (no longer a wunderkind but still wonderfully youthful). He discussed strange things like sheep dogs and sheer electricity and “extreme quilting.” Ryan's self-deprecating note that he just “wasted a whole bunch of time saying a whole bunch of shit” only made his shit smell better.

After a rocket ride of the radio-friendly testimony to Ryan's “secret powers” and a very short break, the band returned for a one-song encore. Expecting “Easy Plateau,” I planned for pleasure, but nothing can contain or explain my rapture when we got “Magnolia Mountain” instead. This song (and much of the thrilling Cold Roses) has been in heavy rotation on my Zen player, sanctifying my headphones and healing my soul while I walk from campus to my apartment in Cookeville, Tennesssee. Getting it live only gifted a great conclusion to an already stellar Saturday night in our beloved Nashville.

2nd night

2009-3-15 War Memorial Auditorium
Nashville, TN

(per Joel (Deviant) via text to Winow (thewinow))

On: 9:40pm est

1. I See Monsters (smoked)
2. Fix It (smoked)
3. Everybody Knows
4. Crossed Out Name (smoked)
5. Come Pick Me Up
6. Cobwebs (smoked)
7. Two
8. Freeway to the Canyon
9. Same Shirt as Me (improv)
10. Beautiful Sorta (hot)
11. Let it Ride
12. Natural Ghost
13. Grand Island
14. Band Intros
15. Born into a Light
16. Stars go Blue (super mellow version)
17. Evening Joke w/ Graboff
18. Goodnight Rose (great fucking version)
19. Lost Satelite
20. Rescue Blues
21. Oh My God, Whatever, Etc.
22. The Sun Also Sets
23. Why Do They Leave (that was tits)
24. Bartering Lines (smokin')
25. Shakedown on 9th Street
26. A Kiss Before I Go
27. Magick

Off: 11:42pm est
ON: 11:44pm est

Set 2