Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger, Cardinology, Etc. - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2007, 09:22 AM   #211
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:20 PM
I'm liking it more and more with each listen. I haven't really focused on the lyrics yet but I know that last night I just enjoyed having it on in the background while I was doing other things. In fact, I had Ryan Adams going on iTunes all night just listening to his whole catalog. Cold Roses is by far my favorite (unbelievable that out of a 2-disc record I like every single song) but even mediocre Ryan Adams is pretty damn good.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:26 AM   #212
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:20 PM

I'm actually amazed by how short this album is. It's less than 40 minutes long.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:01 AM   #213
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick
I LOVE Sam's Town. Makes me feel like a freak.
I love that album too. Took me a while, but one day, I was like "This is brilliant!"

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I'm liking it more and more with each listen. I haven't really focused on the lyrics yet but I know that last night I just enjoyed having it on in the background while I was doing other things. In fact, I had Ryan Adams going on iTunes all night just listening to his whole catalog. Cold Roses is by far my favorite (unbelievable that out of a 2-disc record I like every single song) but even mediocre Ryan Adams is pretty damn good.
I've been putting his whole catalog on shuffle lately too. Cold Roses is still my favorite as well, but truly, I love all his stuff. Even Rock N Roll.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:06 PM   #214
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:20 PM
I'm finally listening to it for the first time, and so far I'm really pleased.

I've never been one to focus too much on the lyrics, though. I mainly like songs that I like based on their overall feel and sound.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #215
Refugee

Local Time: 06:20 PM
After reading these reviews, I am really on the fence about purchasing this. I really enjoyed Love Is Hell; is anyone able to tell me how it compares to that album?
Old 06-30-2007, 04:21 PM   #216
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:20 PM
I've got to admit that near the end of my first listen to Easy Tiger, I'm bored. It's not a bad album, but none of the songs are really standing out to me. It feels like background music. The choruses to many of the songs repeat quite a bit, and the verses aren't as strong lyrically as I'd hoped. This was one of my most-awaited albums of the year, and for the most part I'm disappointed. I think the songwriting on Heartbreaker and even Gold was much better, and while I didn't think Demolition or Rock N Roll were as strong, both of them had some great songs. I'm up to Two Hearts and haven't found a song I'd call great yet.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #217
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse
I've got to admit that near the end of my first listen to Easy Tiger, I'm bored. It's not a bad album, but none of the songs are really standing out to me. It feels like background music. The choruses to many of the songs repeat quite a bit, and the verses aren't as strong lyrically as I'd hoped. This was one of my most-awaited albums of the year, and for the most part I'm disappointed. I think the songwriting on Heartbreaker and even Gold was much better, and while I didn't think Demolition or Rock N Roll were as strong, both of them had some great songs. I'm up to Two Hearts and haven't found a song I'd call great yet.

I like it more on repeated listenings but I agree with you that there's nothing truly great here. Enjoyable, but not great. Not his best songwriting for sure. Can't say I'm disappointed since I didn't have the same expectations others seemed to.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:35 PM   #218
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by cdisantis83
After reading these reviews, I am really on the fence about purchasing this. I really enjoyed Love Is Hell; is anyone able to tell me how it compares to that album?
Easy Tiger is more country/country rock. In general I prefer his countryish stuff since I just think that's what he does best but in this case I like Love is Hell a lot better than Easy Tiger.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:42 PM   #219
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cdisantis83
I really enjoyed Love Is Hell; is anyone able to tell me how it compares to that album?
LIH is probably my fave, but Easy Tiger is more like a combo of Jacksonville and Cold Roses...
Old 07-05-2007, 07:32 AM   #220
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

From Billboard:

Quote:
Singer/songwriter Ryan Adams scores his highest position ever on The Billboard 200 this week with "Easy Tiger," which debuted at No. 7 with 61,000. The Lost Highway set trumps the artist's prior high-water mark of No. 26 with 2005's "Cold Roses".

Old 07-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #221
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:20 PM
That's interesting, well it did seem this album has been the most promoted since maybe RNR...
Old 07-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #222
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

The marketing has been pretty head spinning. There have been a lot of people buying multiple copies because of the freebies. Best Buy and Starbucks each had a different bonus track, and some indie stores had either a DVD or a lithograph, and some had both. There are also lots of people who snapped up the vinyl as well. If you pre-ordered from Ryan's site, you got stuff as well. Between all of that and the people who pre-ordered on iTunes to get THOSE bonuses (getting "Two" early and getting Ticketmaster pre-sale codes for fall shows), there are people who have bought the same album five or six times. I just got it at Best Buy. There are no indie stores by me anymore, and I think Starbucks was selling it for $6 more than at Best Buy. I prefer buying the physical CD to downloading, and I don't pre-order things I should have no trouble getting.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #223
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:20 PM
I bought a cd and vinyl from the indie store and got 2 dvds and 2 posters, which was nice. Also, I beat my boyfriend to it and bought him the cd.
So I guess I bought 3 copies of Easy Tiger...
Old 07-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #224
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

For those who are disappointed on the first few listens, I strongly recommend you keep giving it more listens. I think this album is a real grower, and the songs are starting to emerge for me. Lots of beauty on this album, you just have to wait for it.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:04 PM   #225
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

LIH is probably my fave, but Easy Tiger is more like a combo of Jacksonville and Cold Roses...
I find Cold Roses to have more songs that stick with me, personally my favourite album (i'll discount the, borrowed, elements ). I mean Sweet Illusions, When Will You Come Back Home, Friends etc. tip top stuff.

I have the Easy Tiger vinyl in the mail but i'm liking what I hear on my Mp3 player.

Two Hearts

Tags
cardinology, easy tiger, ryan adams, the cardinals