Royal Headache

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I've been looking for a great new Aussie rock band and these guys definitely fit the bill. They have an acclaimed debut I need to check out, but their new album High came out last month and it's fantastic.

I would describe their sound as very much like The Jam, but produced by Ty Segall. They make lo-fi punk rock, but with terrific melodies and very soulful vocals indebted to Paul Weller. There's some really good ballads in there too and a swaying pop number that's halfway between The Replacements and Tom Petty.

Album has an 83 metascore, it's a lot of fun and only 28 minutes long. Give it a shot. It's on Spotify and free on Bandcamp.

Last edited:
These guys definitely have hype down here. To be honest I never really thought the debut was much above average - poorly produced, guitars a bit plain, and a mediocre singer. But their gigs are things of legend and I'll give this new album a chance.

The reviews for the new one are superior, I've heard the production has been cleaned up a lot and the vocals were improved as a result. Still looking forward to hearing the debut and I hope they play here at some point.

Listened earlier. Didn't feel it much, sorry. Sounds like it was released 30-35 years ago, and that's not a compliment from me.

But I still might see them live next time they swing through Melbourne.

The last thing I'd ever complain about is an album sounding 30-35 years old, but I actually disagree. I think the songwriting evokes a number of artists from 30-35 years ago, but the production is right in line with any number of modern garage rock revival acts. It sounds very current to me, but its influences aren't.

Anyway, thanks for giving it a go. Anyone else?

Loved the debut, was excited for and loved the new one, love his voice. Killer band. "Girls" is one of my favorite songs from the last few years.

:up:

Listened to the debut today, really enjoyed that as well. The rough production coexisting with gorgeous melodies reminded me of peak era Guided By Voices.

Back
Top Bottom