Ron Asheton R.I.P.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Popmartijn

Blue Crack Supplier
I haven't seen much on the passing of this great man and guitar player in BandC.

A couple of days ago legendary Stooges guitar/bass player Ron Asheton died in his home.
Stooges' guitarist Ron Asheton found dead in his Ann Arbor home - Ann Arbor News - The Latest News, Blogs, Photos & Videos ? MLive.com

His influence on rock music through his work with The Stooges (and then mainly on the albums The Stooges and Fun House) is huge. Those proto-punk riffs. The droning guitar. The experimentation. Those riffs!
I Wanna Be Your Dog and 1969 might be the better known songs, but T.V. Eye has that killer guitar riff other guitarists want to sell their soul for.

I was fortunate enough to see The Stooges, reunited, live in 2006. Their comeback album The Weirdness hadn't come out yet. They were just playing their old stuff, testing the waters. It was at the Lowlands festival and it was THE gig of that year (yes, beating the Urban Dance Squad reunion). What happened from the first notes was unbelievable. Iggy hurling himself in the audience and the whole tent was one huge pit. My God! :bow:
They only played songs from The Stooges and Fun House (not even anything off Raw Power) and there was nothing nostalgic about it. Just pure rock 'n' roll. :rockon: They even played I Wanna Be Your Dog for a second time during the encore and it didn't sound like a boring repeat. Just, wow!

The Stooges will probably not exist anymore.

Ron, play on at that great gig in the sky. Let them rock!

R.I.P.

Rest in peace. I was lucky to see The Stooges in 2007 and it was a great gig. A great guitar player.

Back
Top Bottom