Rolling Stones Appreciation Thread / Tour etc - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:48 PM
Rolling Stones Appreciation Thread / Tour etc

On Tuesday, the Rolling Stones will release a deluxe edition of their rollicking 1978 album Some Girls. As I was searching for an appropriate place in which to share this information, I was highly surprised to find that no thread existed in B&C with the words "Rolling Stones" in the title.

I think that it's time we give some credit to this wildly influential and prolific band. The Stones are, after all, a band with at least four - Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main Street - and perhaps as many as seven - throw in Out of Our Heads, Between the Buttons, and Some Girls - brilliant albums in their oeuvre. So why is it that the vast majority of discussion about the Stones on this forum only seeks to denigrate them as avaricious, Pleistocene sell-outs? Please share some thoughts on the depraved genius of Mick, Keith, and co.

Hey, even Bill Clinton is a fan!

Old 11-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
The Male

Local Time: 10:48 AM
Yeah, who doesn't love the Stones? Damn, man, even if they're an embarrassment now, they still spent more time being great than nearly any other band, ever. Good thread.

Not sure any two albums are as close together in quality as Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers. I just can't decide which kicks more ass. Maybe Alligator and Boxer are tighter, but that's it.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
I only own two Stones albums, other than a few compilations, and those are the two.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 03:48 AM
I tend to be quite critical of them because their post-early 70s stuff is so uninspiring and because they've obviously set the template for bloated, corporate stadium rock of greatest-hits sets played to deep-pocketed baby boomers while the band counts its stock profits. Nevertheless, there's no denying their brilliance from 1963 to 1971-72.

The older I get, the less interesting they become though (I thought they were the Bees' Knees when I was 15). I think it comes down to the fact that I can't really peg the Stones as being the best at anything. Best at diverse song-craft and harmonies? The Beatles. Best at spiritually driven epic rock? U2. Best at introspective personal songwriting? Joni Mitchell, Paul Simon, etc. Best white blues singing? Certainly not Mick Jagger. Best British blues? Also not the Stones. And if I want to hear pure blues (as I sometimes do), I'll turn to old blues guys (and gals), not The Stones.

So, there's nothing in particular that I can find that The Stones did extremely well, even at their peak. And yet they were doing something right, as their music in that period is fantastic. In particular, the early Mick Taylor combo of 1969 to 1971 is otherworldly. They tapped into something very special on Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers (and Exile, I guess), which is extremely rare and quite wonderful.

Anyway, interesting dudes and you gotta love Keith Richards.

Good thread idea, too.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
You know, 15 years from now, someone might make the exact same post about U2.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
Best British blues? Also not the Stones.
I think that this depends on what type of blues we are referencing. In terms of the raw, more languid Delta style, no "rock" act did it better than the Stones. I'm thinking here of a track like "You've Got the Silver" and even something as late as "Back of My Hand." Most of the other British bluesmen, like Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page, tended to traffic in the more electrically-driven Chicago style, although Page could do both with aplomb.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:48 PM
Gimme Shelter is an incredible song.

I have I think four albums of theirs. All very good.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:48 PM
Gimme Shelter has also been way overused these last few years, which is a shame.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:48 PM
Probably the best band in the world to drink beer to on a Saturday night.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:57 AM   #10
She's the One

I was one of those who went to see them for the first time recently. (I was far too young to see them in their heyday, and my mom wouldn't let me go when I was in high school and they were touring with the inflatable wiener. It wasn't the wiener, it was the Stones at the Coliseum she had issues with. Anyway.) And they were so very good. Yes, I was surrounded by baby-boomers, but they LOVED the band and were so happy to be there. I was too. They were playing ROLLING STONES songs and they sounded terrific.

My husband went to that Coliseum show and saw Prince booed off the stage. he said Prince was amazing, jockstrap, trenchcoat and all.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:13 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:18 AM
Genuinely surprised there hasn't been a thread yet. Love the Stones, grew up to the sounds of Some Girls and Exile.

My favourite piece of caricatured misogyny to ever be recordered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Gimme Shelter has also been way overused these last few years, which is a shame.
I hear that, I cringe when I hear it in any movie/advertisement for insta-grit. Doesn't distract from the greatness of the song, but give it a rest already.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:46 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:48 AM
You can't beat that near-penultimate scene in Goodfellas where Henry Hill is trying to evade an FBI helicopter to the tune of Monkey Man.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:52 AM   #13
45:33

Local Time: 05:48 AM
I have Exile on Main St and Beggars' Banquet, and Forty Licks as well. Exile has to be the best pure rock and roll album I've ever heard. It took me a long time to really warm up to but I love it now, warts and all. No record like it will ever be released again.

Beggars' Banquet I'm not a big fan of. Too many country-ish tunes on there for me (I'm inviting criticism there I'm sure) but Sympathy for the Devil is my favourite Stones tune and one of favourites ever (though that's a pretty moot term).

I've still not heard Let it Bleed, nor Sticky Fingers. Every time I've gone to buy either, they've been in excess of $20. Fuckin' JBHiFi.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:29 AM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
they still spent more time being great than nearly any other band, ever. Good thread.
??

They're not the only band with a 7-8 year period of greatness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Not sure any two albums are as close together in quality as Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers. I just can't decide which kicks more ass. Maybe Alligator and Boxer are tighter, but that's it.
I'm sure: Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:32 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Also, for the record, Some Girls is not a great album. It has a good number of standout tracks, but overall it's a far cry from Goat's Head Soup, let alone the run from Beggars to Exile.

Tattoo You isn't even worth discussing. People who think that album is some kind of late masterpiece should be thrown in music jail.

Tags
rolling stones, stones