Rolling Stones Appreciation Thread / Tour etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like they might do the type of tour where they set up shop in a big city for a couple weeks (NYC, Chicago, LA, London, Paris, etc) and make the audiences come to them. They're in their late 60s/early 70s, and I think it's acceptable for them to do so.

If Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor really are going to be in on this, I certainly will be making the 6 hour trip to Chicago to see that!

I just finished the bonus disc of Some Girls, and it hangs together really well. It's full of raw, delta-inspired blues - that is to say that the disco-sheen of "Miss You" is nowhere to be found. I think that PopMatters was dead on in saying that, had they released it as a "new album," it would have been hailed as their finest since Some Girls.

I'm hoping that someone on this message board sees this post and remembers what I really really want for Christmas this year, because, yes, that Some Girls rerelease is way up there on the list.

:bump:

Yes, alot of you know this already, but after months of rumors, The Stones have announced their first live shows in 5 years. This time, celebrating their 50th anniversary. Dubbed as '50 and Counting', these shows will (for now) take them to two cities in November and December.

15 & 19 November - London, England - The O2 Arena
13 & 15 December - Newark, New Jersey - Prudential Center

For some reason, I am surprised that they chose Newark to host these concerts, and not in Brooklyn's spanking new Barclays Center or at Madison Square Garden in NYC (renovation would have finished as Madonna is playing the Garden on November 12 and 13) I am not surprised that ticket prices are insanely high. $95-$750 for Newark and £95-£375 for London (roughly $150-$600).

The stage design of the tour will resemble the traditional tongue logo, according to a seating chart from the London shows (they seem to not be using the long-ass catwalk that would extend to the other side of the venue, shame) - of course, expect lots and lots of hits. :wink:

Tickets | Rolling Stones - London at Ticketmaster

50 and Counting | The Rolling Stones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dECLLKyfjm0&feature=plcp

They are ridiculously high - the $750 pricetag is way beyond a casual fan's price range. If those were the only shows that they are doing related to the 50th anniversary, then in some way it's understandable - even though thousands of people will not pay those prices.

Keith Richards hinted today that they might do more shows towards the end of the year and in 2013. London and Newark can't be it. Hopefully ticket prices for those shows will be much more lower, cause with these prices, they entered Barbra Streisand territory. :wink:

They are ridiculously high - the $750 pricetag is way beyond a casual fan's price range. If those were the only shows that they are doing related to the 50th anniversary, then in some way it's understandable - even though thousands of people will not pay those prices.

Keith Richards hinted today that they might do more shows towards the end of the year and in 2013. London and Newark can't be it. Hopefully ticket prices for those shows will be much more lower, cause with these prices, they entered Barbra Streisand territory. :wink:

yeah, hope the prices go down if more shows pop up but I doubt it. It really is disgusting.. And they have no justification whatsoever for those prices IMO. They are greedy bastards.. and it's not because of production because U2 and Muse have insane production for their tours and u don't see prices even close to this.

this really pisses me off.. :angry: sorry for ranting.

They are ridiculously high - the $750 pricetag is way beyond a casual fan's price range.

Kind of an odd question, but that struck me as an odd thing to say. Why would you think that the $750 seats are aimed toward a "casual fan"?

Honestly, I thought they were the kind of band who always charged a super high pricetag for their tours .... so was pleasantly surprised to see tickets at just over $100 after fees. I didn't expect they'd even offer anything below $200 or so.

(Maybe I'm thinking of The Eagles? I remember lots o' bitching about their prices on their reunion tour.)

I think that Doom & Gloom is pretty damn good for a bunch of guys pushing or over seventy years old. They still have swagger.

Mick's voice is very strong. And the guy is 69... Muddy Waters was 68 when the Stones played with him at the Checkerboard Lounge in 1981. Just look at Muddy there (there's an official DVD now) and compare to Mick now. Mick is an anomaly.

IWasBored said:
Amazing what being filthy rich can do to keep oneself somewhat preserved over time.

It's not that simple. And it's not only the cosmetic aspect. It depends a lot more on genetics than on money. Keith has arthritis, for example. No, it's not the drug use catching up with him, he always had this condition. Money helps, but genetics are the main reason Mick is like that.

"Moonlight Mile"
"Winter"
"Sway"
"Shine A light"

:hyper:

My favorite Rolling Stones songs. Keef didn't play on any of'em. The band was better with Mick Taylor. Jagger is underrated. Dude is a genius. Doesn't get credit for it. Right up there with Lennon as a songwriter.

Shine a Light is bloody fantastic. It's the best song on Exile, and that is really saying something.

"Rocks Off" here. What a kick ass opening track.

For you younger listeners out there, were you aware that former Indie Rock queen Liz Phair's first album Exile In Guyville was structured (supposedly) as a song-by-song response to Exile On Main Street?

Note the similarities in how both albums start:

Rolling Stones - Rocks Off (1972) - YouTube

Liz Phair-"6'1" from "Exile in Guyville" - YouTube

themoreyouknow.jpg

Back when I couldn't tell many of the songs apart, I would have said Exile on Main Street was inferior to Exile in Guyville. Now I realize that's ridiculous, but EIG is an astounding record with a terrific emotional arc and a clutch of all-time classics. Along with Lisa Germano's Geek The Girl, it's by far and away the best thing to come out of that whole pissed off 90s alt-rock chick thing.

It really is a landmark record. A shame that many people only know Phair for her awful sellout material/commercial appearances only.

And personally I think Whip-Smart is just as good, if not better. I think the music is a little more varied and interesting.

I've never sat down and listened to both Exiles in alternating fashion, but it is worth noting that Phair's poppy first single "Never Said" is in the same spot as Tumblin' Dice.

Back
Top Bottom