Roger Waters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
From Roger Waters' website

roger_waters.jpg

Roger Waters, 2010

I recently came across this quote of mine from 22 years ago:

” What it comes down to for me is this: Will the technologies of communication in our culture, serve to enlighten us and help us to understand one another better, or will they deceive us and keep us apart?”

I believe this is still a supremely relevant question and the jury is out. There is a lot of commercial clutter on the net, and a lot of propaganda, but I have a sense that just beneath the surface understanding is gaining ground. We just have to keep blogging, keep twittering, keep communicating, keep sharing ideas.

30 Years ago when I wrote The Wall I was a frightened young man. Well not that young, I was 36 years old.

It took me a long time to get over my fears. Anyway, in the intervening years it has occurred to me that maybe the story of my fear and loss with it’s concomitant inevitable residue of ridicule, shame and punishment, provides an allegory for broader concerns.: Nationalism, racism, sexism, religion, Whatever! All these issues and ‘isms are driven by the same fears that drove my young life.

This new production of The Wall is an attempt to draw some comparisons, to illuminate our current predicament, and is dedicated to all the innocent lost in the intervening years.

In some quarters, among the chattering classes, there exists a cynical view that human beings as a collective are incapable of developing more ‘humane’ ie, kinder, more generous, more cooperative, more empathetic relationships with one another.

I disagree.

In my view it is too early in our story to leap to such a conclusion, we are after all a very young species.

I believe we have at least a chance to aspire to something better than the dog eat dog ritual slaughter that is our current response to our institutionalized fear of each other.

I feel it is my responsibility as an artist to express my, albeit guarded, optimism, and encourage others to do the same. To quote the great man, ” You may say that I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.”

- Roger Waters, 2010

From the Rolling Stone article that bono_212 posted in another thread...

Roger Waters will take The Wall on the road this autumn, 30 years after Pink Floyd first performed the classic double album onstage. Three decades ago, Pink Floyd played the album in its entirety as a white brick wall was constructed between the band and the crowd throughout the show. Films were projected onto the wall during the performance and giant inflatable Gerald Scarfe creatures floated above the audience. In short, it was one of the greatest stage shows of its time during its brief run, and now Waters is promising to bring an updated version of the legendary set into the 21st century.

Check out our collection of classic Pink Floyd photos.

The Wall boasts Pink Floyd classics including “Comfortably Numb,” “Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2,” “Mother,” “Run Like Hell” and “Young Lust,” and ranks among the best-selling albums of all time alongside The Dark Side of the Moon, which both Pink Floyd and Waters solo have previously performed start to finish. Following Pink Floyd’s short-but-epic run of The Wall in 1980-81, which was documented on the live album Is There Anybody Out There?, Waters performed the double LP one more time as a solo artist in 1990 in Germany to celebrate the fall of the Berlin Wall. Twenty years later, he’ll do it again during a 35-date trek that launches September 15th at Toronto’s Air Canada Centre.

“Thirty years ago when I wrote The Wall, I was a frightened young man,” Waters told Spinner. “It took me a long time to get over my fears. In the intervening years it has occurred to me that maybe the story of my fear and loss with its concomitant inevitable residue of ridicule, shame and punishment, provides an allegory for broader concerns: Nationalism, racism, sexism, religion, whatever! All these issues and ‘isms are driven by the same fears that drove my young life.”

Roger Waters’ official Website will relaunch today at 2 p.m. ET, perhaps with ticket onsale info. Until then, check out Waters’ The Wall dates below:

Roger Waters
Sept. 15 – Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre
Sept. 20 – Chicago, IL @ United Center
Sept. 21 – Chicago, IL @ United Center
Sept. 26 – Pittsburgh, PA @ Consol Energy Center
Sept. 28 – Cleveland, OH @ Quicken Loans Arena
Sept. 30 – Boston, MA @ TD Garden
Oct. 5 – New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
Oct. 8 – Buffalo, NY @ HSBC Arena
Oct. 10 – Washington, DC @ Verizon Center
Oct. 12 – Uniondale, NY @ Nassau Coliseum
Oct. 15 – Hartford, CT @ XL Center
Oct. 17 – Ottawa, ON @ ScotiaBank Place
Oct. 19 – Montreal, QC @ Bell Centre
Oct. 22 – Columbus, OH @ Schottenstein Center
Oct. 24 – Detroit, MI @ Palace of Auburn Hills
Oct. 26 – Omaha, NE @ Qwest Center
Oct. 27 – St Paul, MN @ Xcel Energy Center
Oct. 29 – St. Louis, MO @ Scottrade Center
Oct. 30 – Kansas City, MO @ Sprint Center
Nov. 3 – New York, NY @ Izod Center
Nov. 8 – Philadelphia, PA @ Wachovia Center
Nov. 9 – Philadelphia, PA @ Wachovia Center
Nov. 13 – Fort Lauderdale, FL @ Bank Atlantic Center
Nov. 16 – Tampa, FL @ St. Pete Times Forum
Nov. 18 – Atlanta, GA @ Philips Arena
Nov. 20 – Houston, TX @ Toyota Center
Nov. 21 – Dallas, TX @ American Airlines Center
Nov. 23 – Denver, CO @ Pepsi Center
Nov. 26 – Las Vegas, NV @ MGM Grand Garden Arena
Nov. 27 – Phoenix, AZ @ US Airways Center
Nov. 29 – Los Angeles, CA @ The Forum
Dec. 6 – San Jose, CA @ HP Pavilion
Dec. 10 – Vancouver, BC @ General Motors Place
Dec. 11 – Tacoma, WA @ Tacoma Dome
Dec. 13 – Anaheim, CA @ Honda Center

He always puts on a great show. The last time I saw him was at the Hollywood Bowl. Don't miss it if you can help it!

Waters always struck me as a huge prick. But, yeah, those shows would probably be pretty memorable.

I mentioned something about it in Random Music Talk, but yeah...uh...I'm kind of still on cloud 9 thinking about it. Not even sure how I'll begin to afford to go because I'm going to assume this is going to be on McCartney level expensive, but I have to

And I agree, GAF, he's kind of a prick.

Saw him a couple times last tour, once from the 5th row. I'll see him again - signed up for the presale (a random drawing). Tickets will be something like $50-250 - hopefully the lottery seats won't be only the $250 ones.

Waters always struck me as a huge prick. But, yeah, those shows would probably be pretty memorable.

He is. I'm team Gilmour all the way (sorry Lila and Hardy :wink: ) but I'm going to try to make this tour. I saw Gilmour in '06, and other than U2, it was the best show I've ever seen. Too bad Nick isn't touring with Waters this time, then I'd have seen all of Pink Floyd, albeit separately.

Oh yeah. And I wish Toronto wasn't the tour opener. I'd much rather see it a few shows in, once the kinks are worked out.

eta - I'm actually watching the Floyd portion of the Live 8 dvd right now. I hope I can stand Waters' voice if I attend this.

Waters isn't a prick - look at the work he's done for charity for starters. A lot of Bush supporters did think he was a prick during the shows, however. I saw a 1988 show on the A Momentary Lapse of Reason tour, so I have been fortunate to see all members perform live.

I'm talking about relationships within the band. Even Nick Mason, the band member that he's closest to, has acknowledged in his book that Waters was a megalomaniac, and most responsible for the strife within the band that eventually led to him leaving the band, and the years of legal issues. Sounds like he damn near caused Rick Wright to have a mental breakdown from the abuse that Waters inflicted on him.

Ok, so there's going to be an American Express presale, the Rogerwaters.com Presale, and then, if you buy The Wall (the movie) from the iTunes store, there's gonna be a presale for that. IOW, by the time the general sale comes around on the 10th? Forget it.

It isn't the Floyd, but this was pretty much Roger's work, so it will be worth seeing. And Roger knows how to present a spectacle like this. With new animation, giant floating creatures and that wall built before your eyes, it's something to see. I'm already worried about (even larger) hammers marching across the wall during side four :wink: . Gonna miss Gilmore melting my face again from the top of the wall during Comfortably Numb, but that's the way it goes.

Sounds like the same band will be touring this time also. I'm sure he's gonna spend a year or two going around the world with it. The last tour for Dark Side he had 35 dollar seats, so I'm guessing he'll do the same here.

And the LA Forum on my birthday :applaud:

It isn't the Floyd, but this was pretty much Roger's work, so it will be worth seeing.

Practically all of my favorite musical moments on The Wall are primarily associated with David Gilmour. Waters did have the vision, the concept and the lyrics, but without Gilmour's musical input, the record wouldn't have been nearly as remarkable. Waters was the brain, Gilmour was the heart, if you will. When those two were at the peak of their turbulent relationship, some of the greatest work in rock music was created. So I would not undermine the impact of either one of them.

It isn't the Floyd, but this was pretty much Roger's work, so it will be worth seeing. And Roger knows how to present a spectacle like this. With new animation, giant floating creatures and that wall built before your eyes, it's something to see.

No doubt the production will be top-notch.

Sounds like the same band will be touring this time also.

Yep - guitarist Dave Kilminster sounds excited to tour again. Looking forward to seeing the awesome band again as well. The LA show was moved to Staples ctr.

Just saw the venue change, ntalwar. The Forum is a bit more intimate than Staples, but you go where the show is :shrug: . Still my bd, though :up:

And djerdap, your right. Without Gilmore, things are much different. And no doubt worse. But what can you do, it just didn't work out. I love Gilmore as much as Waters, probably more. And I'm glad I was able to see Pink Floyd as they were (after Sid... I'm not that old :wink: ). So no Gilmore vs Waters for me. I'll just have to settle for this version of The Wall, because it's a freakin' great show, probably the last chance to see it like this. And I'm sure Roger will make sure it's worthwhile. If I recall correctly, there were supplemental musicians at the original performance :hmm:

Wasn't The Forum where the original Wall played? The Forum is more round and as you said "intimate" for an arena. Staples is oval and spread out. Being up at the top level of the Forum is not like being up in the 300's at Staples at all!

That was the Sports Arena. Very similar in size to the Forum.

It's gonna take one helluva wall to block Staples from side to side :ohmy:

:hyper:

American Express pre-sale starts today. Apparently there are several different pre-sales taking place this week.

Tickets for L.A. range from $55 to $250. :|

Well at least we know how much this is going to be now. Yeah, I mentioned the 203853278374 pre-sales earlier in the thread :p.

I just tried for the Amex presale. Price options are $75, $125, and $250. $75 tix came up as near the last row of (top) section 317 on the side (right of center ice, hockey-wise). Waiting to see where $125 gets you.

2 tix @ 75 with fees = $180 :crack:

Lower level loge are $250, Had 1 ticket come up in section 111, which is center of Staples (center ice). With fees, $280.85. Too rich for our blood :(

Son of a B. I would finally "win" something on the internet this time. I was selected for the Chicago pre-sale but I don't get paid until the 7th :sad:.

We had four chances to get into the presales - two for each of the Toronto shows - and and weren't selected for any of them. Oh well.

I would think that given Waters' propensity for stage production that almost any seat this tour would be a decent one.

Lila, did you guys end up getting anything?

Back
Top Bottom