Rodrigo y GABRIELA! Mexico has good musicians?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazyboy

War Child
Wow Rafo, I finally found something I like bout your country;)

Seriously, anybody heard of this amazing duo?!?! Just back from their gig in Dolans' in Limerick, spine tingling stuff! So good I bought the album! It was only the 2nd sit down gig I have attended, this one even had candles!:D But whoa, these 2 are just amazing! Surprised their fingers weren't bleeding!!! They are gathering a somewhat large cult following here in Ireland, as they moved here 3 years ago and set up base in Temple Bar, so some of ye may have caught them there. This is REAL music though, just the 2 of them bashing away on the spanish guitars, wicked!!!:yes: Oh and the irish influence with the fiddle!
Please do yerself some good and check out their site, www.rodgab.com, there is some downloads there too. Oh and some pics of GABRIELA!!!:drool: BONITA!

They started off in a heavy metal group, have a few covers of metallica songs, and even have a tribute to a guy from Megadeth on the recent album, not yer average spanish guitar duo by a long shot! ROCK ON!

RodyGab.jpg

:drool: :drool:

We are pleased to announe that Rodrigo Y Gabrielas self titled album will be released in the United States today (Oct 3rd). A Mexican release will follow later in the month on Oct 31st. The release will feature an Audio CD and Limited edition DVD.

:love:

I saw them perform on the Jools Holland show a few months back and thought they were really good.

They had a couple of releases on Amazon, but they were previously quite ridiculously priced. However, the self titled album appears a little bit more reasonable now. I think this may have to be my next purchase:drool:

Pick up the CD with the extra DVD if you can. There is nothing better than listening to Gabriela talk about their horrible times in "Dooblin" :up: :up:

And this is the greatest thing ever:

260255301_fa45ba9cd2.jpg

:bump:

March 15, 2007

U.S. Homeland Security Bars Famed Mexican Acoustic Group, Forcing Group to Cancel Sold Out U.S. Tour Dates

Government Says Rodrigo Sanchez Has Name Similar to Barred Foreigner

MEXICO CITY—A renowned Mexican guitarist, member of the ATO Recording artists Rodrigo Y Gabriela, has been hold up here for over two weeks since the United States Embassy declined to renew his P-1 Entertainer Visa. This unexpected situation has led to the cancellation of half a dozen U.S. shows on Rodrigo Y Gabriela's current tour, and put in jeopardy many other major concerts and promotional appearances.

The group, already stars in Europe and experiencing a surge here in the U.S., were heralded in the current issue of Rolling Stone as a "New Artist to Watch," and hailed in a recent Wall Street Journal feature as possibly "the next Buena Vista Social Club". Despite this, the duo has been unable to gain entrance into the U.S, forcing the cancellation of sold out concerts and a marquee slot at the world's largest music industry conference, South By Southwest, in Austin, TX.

The State Department has said the process to review the visa might take upwards of three months. The U.S embassy in Mexico City cannot approve Rodrigo's P-1 Entertainer Visa until it receives confirmation that he is not an individual with a similar name who is barred from receiving a visa, this despite the fact that Rodrigo has entered and exited the U.S. without any problem in the last nine months.

"I feel frustrated because we wanted to play to our fans in the states, we have had a great response from them and from the media too." says Rodrigo. "I feel bad for our American label, ATO Records, they have been doing a great job and this has forced them to relocate their energies towards something that has nothing to do with the music industry. I have met some others musicians from different parts of the world that have, unfortunately, been through the same situation when they were about to start their tour in the States. This is nothing to do with being Latin or Arab or from wherever. This is a policy that some have chosen to support, these are internal security measure issues that have to be resolved by Americans themselves. We hope to be back into the States as soon as I'm cleared to do so and keep contributing to society by sharing music and our time with people and reinforcing the importance that art and culture have, have had and will have to all of us while we are alive."

This news comes at an unfortunate and critical time for the band, as the duo is gaining major momentum and attention behind their debut American release. "The excitement and energy associated with Rod and Gab since the release of this record has been phenomenal," said Chris Tetzeli, ATO Records' Founding Partner. "These two acoustic guitar players that used to busk on the streets of Dublin a few years ago have been making quite an impact in our country with their genre breaking music. Now, just as we were about to launch into their first major US touring cycle accompanied by the release of their first video and a new single on radio, we have to slam on all the brakes. It is unfortunate to see this setback happen to a great record and a brilliant live act. We really felt this was getting ready to take off and we hope the situation can be resolved quickly."

Since its U.S. release on October 3, 2006, "Rodrigo y Gabriela" has shipped over 100,000 records. The band's debut US release was heralded by Billboard Magazine as "One of the best guitar albums in ages; one of the best discs of the year". Their music has received national radio airplay, critical acclaim, and national press attention. The group has performed on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and The Late Show with David Letterman. The band has major US touring planned for the months ahead, a full list of dates can be found below.

Langerado
grumpygiggle.gif

HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS. LAST NIGHT'S SHOW WAS AAAAAMAZING

BE JEALOUS:

IMG023.jpg

IMG057.jpg

IMG070.jpg

IMG083.jpg

IMG099.jpg

IMG107.jpg

IMG118.jpg

IMG126.jpg

IMG127.jpg

IMG131.jpg

IMG135.jpg

They played tons of stuff from R&G and Re-Foc and I could swear I heard parts of songs featured in their live CD being thrown in there. They covered Metallica, Led Zeppelin & Pink Floyd (...possibly others?) I don't even know anymore. It was amazing and that's all there is to it. I'll put some videos up in the next few days!

68cjts0.gif

Back
Top Bottom