Rock bands older than the Stones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolf

Acrobat
Are there any rock bands that are still active that started before the Rolling Stones did?

Google tells me the Sonics were active beginning in 1960. Not sure what year the Stones formed.

I think they were quiet for years and years, but they actually have a new album coming out.

Despite how great a song "strychnine" is, I've never heard anything else from the band.

Ok, with the use of the list of Rock Hall Of Fame inductees and defining the term rock band very very loosely, there is actually a good list of rock n' roll groups formed the year the Stones were or earlier. I don't know how accurate the Wikipedia information that these groups are still active is, but this is what I found.

01. The Ventures - 1958
02. The Sonics - 1960
03. The Coasters - 1955
04. The Beach Boys - 1961
05. The Drifters - 1953
06. The Temptations - 1960
07. The Four Seasons - 1960
08. Four Tops - 1953
09. The Platters - 1952
10. The Impressions - 1958
11. The Isley Brothers - 1954
12. The Teenagers - 1954
13. The Flamingos - 1953
14. The O'Jays - 1958
15. Little Anthony And The Imperials - 1958
16. The Hollies - 1962
17. The Comets - 1949
18. The Crickets - 1957
19. Booker T. & The MG's - 1962
20. The Shadows - 1958

Surprisingly, the majority of the above 20 groups are actually playing concerts at some point during 2015. Several of them are playing Cruise Lines down in South Florida.

In terms of selling enough to earn certifications for Gold and Platinum albums, only the Beach Boys, O'Jays, and Isley Brothers in the above list have anything significant. The Single was much more important than albums back in the 50s and early 60s. Ironically, now in the 2010s, the single has become dominate again and the popularity of the album is rapidly fading.

Although the Rolling Stones get labeled as the oldest, it appears there are many groups still active that are older than even the Rolling Stones.

U2 are young!

There may be some older bands than the Stones still active, but comparing bands with a small fraction of their original lineup playing Cruise Ships or John Stamos touring summer tents as The Beach Boys to the Stones touring 100,000 seat football stadia is apples and watermelons.

Surprisingly, the majority of the above 20 groups are actually playing concerts at some point during 2015. Several of them are playing Cruise Lines down in South Florida.

In terms of selling enough to earn certifications for Gold and Platinum albums, only the Beach Boys, O'Jays, and Isley Brothers in the above list have anything significant. The Single was much more important than albums back in the 50s and early 60s. Ironically, now in the 2010s, the single has become dominate again and the popularity of the album is rapidly fading.

Although the Rolling Stones get labeled as the oldest, it appears there are many groups still active that are older than even the Rolling Stones.

U2 are young!

U2 are old.

The other groups are older.

There may be some older bands than the Stones still active, but comparing bands with a small fraction of their original lineup playing Cruise Ships or John Stamos touring summer tents as The Beach Boys to the Stones touring 100,000 seat football stadia is apples and watermelons.

The Beach Boys have 37 shows scheduled this year compared to only 15 for the Rolling Stones. The Beach Boys are playing theaters, ballrooms, Parks, and amphitheaters in the United States, United Kingdom, and Canada. The Beach Boys line up consist of the following:

Brian Wilson
Mike Love
Al Jardine
David Marks
Bruce Johnston

It appears to me that it is the Beach Boys who will be more active in 2015 than the Rolling Stones who are visiting 15 cities some of which they have not played in a decade or two. By the way, the Rolling Stones will be playing to far less than 100,000 people at each of these shows. These are not 360 shows in the round. If the Stones are lucky, they will probably average about 45,000 people per show.

In 2012 the Beach Boys were legit with Jardine and Brian Wilson back, but for most of the past few decades they've been Mike Love and his band of buddies (which has at times included John Stamos, oy). They'd play here every summer at places like the Cape Cod Melody Tent and South Shore Music Circus, places that hold about 2,000 folks. So they were kind of a joke for a very long time.

Edit: Just checked, and no the Beach Boys lineup does not curently contain Brian Wilson and Al Jardine. Hasn't since 2012 when the 50th anniversary tour ended, its back to Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, John Stamos, Bob Saget and Dave Coulier., So my original point about fruit stands.

The Beach Boys line up consist of the following:

Brian Wilson
Mike Love
Al Jardine
David Marks
Bruce Johnston

Wikipedia is not gospel Sting. Jardine and Wilson not with the touring version of The Beach Boys. Mike Love owns the name, he is the only original Beach Boy in the current lineup. That lineup was the 2012 reunuion tour lineup.

In 2012 the Beach Boys were legit with Jardine and Brian Wilson back, but for most of the past few decades they've been Mike Love and his band of buddies (which has at times included John Stamos, oy). They'd play here every summer at places like the Cape Cod Melody Tent and South Shore Music Circus, places that hold about 2,000 folks. So they were kind of a joke for a very long time.

Edit: Just checked, and no the Beach Boys lineup does not curently contain Brian Wilson and Al Jardine. Hasn't since 2012 when the 50th anniversary tour ended, its back to Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, John Stamos, Bob Saget and Dave Coulier., So my original point about fruit stands.

Ok then. Whatever the lineup, the group is scheduled for more activity this year than the Rolling Stones. Playing to a couple of thousand people is not a joke. No ones claiming their as big as the Stones, just that they are slightly older and still active.

1990 for Bongo and Alan Claypool. 1991 for The Egg and Harry Mullins.

So people become "old" at age 30 eh? Why 30? What makes it the age for saying, you are now old?

Wikipedia is not gospel Sting. Jardine and Wilson not with the touring version of The Beach Boys. Mike Love owns the name, he is the only original Beach Boy in the current lineup. That lineup was the 2012 reunuion tour lineup.

Sting was never in the Beach Boys.:lol:

Let us all gather around and appreciate how awesome The Shadows are, especially Hank Marvin.

Cliff Richard? No.

Let us all gather around and appreciate how awesome The Shadows are, especially Hank Marvin.

Cliff Richard? No.

Indeed. I don't know if Hank Marvin is the guy with the glasses behind Cliff Richard (I know next to nothing about the Shadows or Cliff Richard, honestly), but he should be front and center. He's phenomenal.

Back
Top Bottom