Rock and roll hall of fame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If Green Day had continued down whatever road they were headed with Warning, then they would have either faded into obscurity or actually managed to become musically interesting and a little more worthy being inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame is like being nominated for a Grammy, 9 parts marketing popularity and 1 part music. But for the sake of argument, let's pretend it's an actual thing. But since no one cared about Warning (other than me, I guess), they went out, bought some eyeliner and black nail polish, and hopped on the next generation's brand of pop punk. Much better marketing strategy, probably made them a shitload more money than dookie or time of your life ever did, never mind any of the other stuff.

This shit is silly, putting anyone into a hall of fame is like giving someone a lifetime achievement award, which has always seemed kind of strange to me when the person/band you're bestowing that sort of ultimate honor upon is still out there making music/films/etc. This goes for anyone "eligible," whether it's green day, U2, Springsteen, or anyone. It's like saying ok, your best work is behind you, you're fucking old, here's your trophy.

Green Day got in while The Smiths, Depeche Mode, Joy Division and New Order, Roxy Music remain not in.

And that's mostly on the nominating committee who have nominated only one of those bands you mentioned once.

Is Green Day deserving of induction? The answer is unquestionably yes. They shouldn't be held back simply because the organization has ignored some more important artists in years past.

As for their chances had they never made American Idiot...would have been a fairly interesting case. They'd have a major and some minor classics under their belt (Dookie and Insomniac/Kerplunk) along with six gold albums and the most commercially successful run of any punk act since the 80's (if not ever given the global popularity of this band).

I'd say they'd still be worthy, but not first-ballot material. American Idiot makes this all a no-brainer.

This goes for anyone "eligible," whether it's green day, U2, Springsteen, or anyone. It's like saying ok, your best work is behind you, you're fucking old, here's your trophy.

If you look closely at their careers, almost every single act in the Rock Hall earned their credentials during the first ten years of their recording career (and often the first five years for many of them).

So, yes, almost every act ever inducted will be at least 15 to 25 years removed from their best material. Occasionally, there's some career compilers such as Bonnie Raitt or, arguably, Red Hot Chili Peppers that really needed that later stuff to build a case because they didn't have any significant era where they put out something truly unforgettable. But they're the rare exception.

For what it's worth, if U2 had broke up after Joshua Tree (or Rattle & Hum if we're discussing a more probable outcome), they'd have a Hall-worthy career without Achtung Baby and a recording career that lasted about ten years (1979-1989). They might not have been nominated/inducted right away, but they'd have enough material for being a Top 200 act ever, in my mind, which means they'd be in by this point.

By the same logic, Green Day before American Idiot wouldn't come in that far behind. Dookie can sit on greatest albums lists with Joshua Tree and was just as popular...both bands had two strong early LPs before they became hitmakers...the difference would really come down to the quality of the rest of their catalogs (Insomniac/Nimrod/Warning) vs. (War/Unforgettable Fire/Rattle & Hum). I don't think Green Day comes out that far behind, but you can see what I'm getting at. A moment like Dookie is enough for a solid case when you keep in mind that the Hall has acts that never really innovated musically (Kiss) or had a handful of important singles early in the Rock-era before disappearing from view (there's dozens, take your pick).

I was in high school in 1994 and didn't care for Dookie back then. I think it succeeded along with that Offspring album because people were burnt out on grunge. But the same year Soundgarden blew up and The Beastie Boys got huge, again, and acts like Beck happened. Music was all over the place that year.

I was in 7th - 8th grade and it when I first started getting into music. Loved Live - Throwing Copper. That was a great year for music. Pumpkins were the shit. STP.

Green Day should get nominated. Just because, they are fun.. Dookie, American Idiot.
Both albums where very important stress relieve albums for at least two generations of people.
They are a no brainer band, but one that I like, so my hopes are up for them.

Can't believe i'm rooting for them on this forum. I'll show myself out.

lazarus has a very good point. Its stupid to see so many other great bands from the same genre,
or even as mentioned before, bands like Depeche Mode getting snubbed for so long..And then a -imho- non-influential band, Green day, instantly gets a nod.

Is Green Day deserving of induction? The answer is unquestionably yes.

since this is your opinion, we're just going to have to agree to disagree here, there's no sense in arguing with anyone who believes something as silly as this.

I was in high school in 1994 and didn't care for Dookie back then.

While I was in high school I remember a good friend (hardcore punk) had Kerplunk. Never cared much for Green Day, then or now. Always seemed to me to be the worst version of "punk". Like stereotypical store bought punk, right down to the singer incorporating a faux Brit singing style. And while I was never a punk myself, I hung out with plenty of them way back then and I've always appreciated and understood the core ethos.

I didn't really like Green Day before I started listening to punk with any regularity and I certainly don't now.

But honestly, I thought American Idiot was entertaining and ambitious and I got a lot out of it. When I was 13, that album was the shit. On the other hand, 21st Century Breakdown was one of the more dispiriting listening experiences I've had and I listened to the trilogy of albums they put out recently and they were all bad. I'm going to assume that they have nothing left to give.

I will say that I don't know of many rock bands that were revitalized as late in life as they were, but that's no reason to canonize them.

Last edited:
Worst artists of all time
1 Green Day
2 Green Day
3 Fall Out Boy
4 Green Day
5 Adele

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So now that it has been two years and a new class of nominees I thought it was time to revisit this thread.

This is the nominee list which includes several first time nominees including several mentioned in this thread.
https://www.rockhall.com/vote?gclid=CJvI5-ycqdACFQgJaQodDo0GyA
Depeche mode
The cars
ELO
Journey
Yes
Steppenwolf
Chic
Kraftwerk
J geils band
Mc5
The zombies
Pearl Jam

Also some head scratchers
Chaka Khan
Janet Jackson
2pac
Joe Tex
Bad brains
Jane's addiction
Joan Baez

This is the latest voting for the fan favorite.

2Pac getting into the rock and roll hall of fame before Joy Division and The Smiths is fucking stupid.

Back
Top Bottom