Robyn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LDM007

The Fly
With the release of "Body Talk" trilogy over the course of 2010, I truly believe that Robyn stands unmatched and unrivaled at the moment in terms of pop music. And to top it off, she's an exceptional live performer.

Have you checked the "Body Talk" series out yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3a2qoyONVA&ob=av2e

I fucking love Robyn.

Can't wait for the next release tomorrow. Part 1 has a few songs I don't really care for, but I like more than I dislike, so that's good.

Konichiwa, bitches. :heart:

Other than the idea (I've seen it written about many times) that the United States is skeptical of foreign pop stars, it really boggles my mind as to why her music isn't hitting up the charts in the US.

I know. It bums me out.

I had a ticket to see her a few years ago, but her show got cancelled because she was going to be on some late night talk show instead. :grumpy:

I "saw" her live (It was at P4K fest and I was the one who had to run and get bottled water). She's amazing, truly. Can't wait to hear Part II.

Robyn is great. Love her latest effort. I think the production is a little different than the heavy, electro-drenched stuff that now controls US pop, and that might throw people off a bit.

I really wanted to get into La Roux, but found her extremely irritating and thought the production was a little bland, so Robyn was a godsend when i was looking for something light and fun this summer.

\
I really wanted to get into La Roux, but found her extremely irritating and thought the production was a little bland, so Robyn was a godsend when i was looking for something light and fun this summer.

Yeah, this. La Roux's vocals are so irritating, and the music is completely derivative of everything happening in 2009-2010. Robyn, along with Annie, is in a different league altogether.

YouTube - Annie - Hey Annie

I've heard some people tell me "Hey Annie" is like "Hollaback Girl", but I think it's pop music from another dimension... The final two minutes are so far beyond what any US pop artist has done in years. And while I don't love Annie as much as Robyn, Annie is truly incredible too.

YouTube - Annie - Hey Annie

I've heard some people tell me "Hey Annie" is like "Hollaback Girl", but I think it's pop music from another dimension... The final two minutes are so far beyond what any US pop artist has done in years. And while I don't love Annie as much as Robyn, Annie is truly incredible too.
Yeah, when people aren't good at articulating something on a given subject they revert to comparing it to something they do know.

"Marching band + triangle + whispery girl vocals = Hollaback Girl"

Hence the decade of bands "sounding like Coldplay".

I still haven't picked up the latest Annie CD (BAD CORI!), but to be honest, I can only listen to a few songs of hers at a time.

While she is awesome, she's got that little-girl voice thing going on. That drives me fucking batty.

The fuck? Is "lesbian" the new hip and ironic thing you wacky kids are saying instead of "woman" or "chick"?

I should have put disdainful quote marks around "hip" to more fully express my distaste at that comment.

What the fuck, Danny?

Not that it's neither here nor there, but as it is, she's not a lesbian :huh:

Did you guys know that Robyn once had a couple of hits in the U.S. way back in 1997...it's pretty different from what she's doing now.

YouTube - Robyn Carlsson - Show Me Love

Yes! And it confused me for AGES because there was a different singer named Robyn who had a song called Show Me Love ("Baby if you want me! You gotta show me love!")

And I finally sorted it out, and realized I'd never heard the Swedish Robyn's song. :lol:

But clearly I'm a fluke, because a friend of mine recently sang it at karaoke and I swear half the bar knew it.

i know team, my bad. i was in quite a mood last night.

Yes! And it confused me for AGES because there was a different singer named Robyn who had a song called Show Me Love ("Baby if you want me! You gotta show me love!")

that song has been getting played at clubs ever since i turned 18 :scream:

i need to check out some tunes by this lesbian. she's playing at a music fest i'm going to in Dec.

Gotta love the borderline troll statement right here.

And yes... At the concerts, Robyn only plays stuff post-2005 and an acoustic cover of "Show Me Love." Her concerts are quite the experience as the setlists are almost perfect ("Handle Me" isn't on there), and she somehow makes every song sound better than they do on the album.

I think With Every Heartbeat is pure pop perfection.

Picked up the new release last night, haven't listened yet (shaaaame).

Gotta love the borderline troll statement right here.

And yes... At the concerts, Robyn only plays stuff post-2005 and an acoustic cover of "Show Me Love." Her concerts are quite the experience as the setlists are almost perfect ("Handle Me" isn't on there), and she somehow makes every song sound better than they do on the album.

cool, i'll get on it. she performed at Amoeba records in Hollywood like the day we left to come home.

I'm not going to say "Friggin' Cobbler" because I don't think this should 1) Be handled as a joke and 2) Be so easily excused by "I was in a mood", but whatever.

Did you guys know that Robyn once had a couple of hits in the U.S. way back in 1997...it's pretty different from what she's doing now.

YouTube - Robyn Carlsson - Show Me Love

*Nods* I used to love those songs when I was a teenager :D. Ahhhhh, memories-thanks for putting that song up, fun hearing that again.

That's all I've heard from her so far, though. Looks like I'll have to start checking out more of her work. Outside of what's been shared here, any other specific recommendations?

Angela

"Dancing On My Own"
"Dancehall Queen"
"Cry When You Get Older"
"Be Mine!"
"Handle Me"
"Dream On"

Those songs should give you a good idea of her awesomeness.

I'm not going to say "Friggin' Cobbler" because I don't think this should 1) Be handled as a joke and 2) Be so easily excused by "I was in a mood", but whatever.

To be fair, I thought she was a lesbian too, but I did research and found out about her boy toy/front before commenting. I would never insult Olof's conquest.

0LIKU6rmFSKTh9U.jpg

Plus, look on the bright side: people are actually reading this thread now.

No, it's still distasteful to refer to someone using their sexuality as a replacement for, oh .... "woman" or "singer."

Back
Top Bottom