Robert Plant: "A reunion would ruin our legacy" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
I don't consider A Momentary Lapse of Reason or The Division Bell to be "reunion" albums.
Even so, they technically reunited after it appeared that the band was dead, but without Waters. Just wasn't as many years in between.

Despite that, I'd doubt they'd ever get together again now either.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 05:14 PM
Zeppelin Reunion — Treading on very sacred ground - The North Bay Nugget - Ontario, CA

Zeppelin Reunion — Treading on very sacred ground
Posted By JASON MACNEIL, SUN MEDIA
Updated 13 hours ago

According to Robert Plant, it was better to leave things be than head back on the road with Led Zeppelin.

In a radio interview alongside Alison Krauss which aired earlier this week on Britain's Absolute Radio, Plant says touring with Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham in a Led Zeppelin reunion tour would be treading on very sacred ground.

The reason that it stopped was because we were incomplete and we've been incomplete now for 28 years," Plant says.

No matter what you do, you have to really guard the discretion of what you've done in the past and make sure that you have all the reasons in the right place to be able to do something with absolute and total conviction.

If my great reward is to do this, then I don't want to do anything where we challenge what we did in the first place by just going back and visiting it without having a new, fresh, makeover start.

You only get one shot at these things and if they're spectacular on day one, if on day 10 they aren't so good ... to visit old ground, it's a very incredibly delicate thing to do and the disappointment that could be there once you commit to that and in comparison to something that was basically fired by youth and a different kind of exuberance to now, it's very hard to go back and meet that head on and do it justice."

Plant and Alison Krauss are currently in pre-production for another studio album, the follow-up to the critically acclaimed Raising Sand which is nominated for record of the year at this weekend's Grammy Awards in Los An-Robert geles.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:00 PM   #18
The Male

Local Time: 03:14 PM
I fully understand Plant's point of view, but after Presence and In Through The Out Door, nothing about Led Zeppelin's legacy is sacred. Had their final album been an Abbey Road, Pearl, or Loaded, I could see it, but they sputtered out after Physical Graffiti IMO.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:11 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

They could cut an album as something else, I'd love to hear JPJ in the creative mix again.

I have both of those Page-Plant albums, although if memory serves, the first one only had two new songs on it, hastily written and performed, it was largely a let down for me.

Walking into Clarksdale is good. It's not Zeppelin but if you expected Zepp, just as if you expect that Page-Plant-JPJ and Jason Bonham would ever be Zepp, you should be kicked in the business section.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #20
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I fully understand Plant's point of view, but after Presence and In Through The Out Door, nothing about Led Zeppelin's legacy is sacred. Had their final album been an Abbey Road, Pearl, or Loaded, I could see it, but they sputtered out after Physical Graffiti IMO.
Am I the only one who thinks ITTOD is perfect? (along with Led Zep II)
Old 02-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:MrMacPhisto:. View Post
Am I the only one who thinks ITTOD is perfect? (along with Led Zep II)
Perhaps not perfect, but I do enjoy In Through the Out Door, and Presence for that matter as well. True, Out Door is no Abbey Road, but it is by no means a weak effort. In my mind, Zeppelin's catalogue contains no weak entries.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #22
War Child

Presence is underrated. I used to judge it by its stupid cover, literally, but once I heard "Achilles Last Stand" it became one of my top Zep tunes. The lyrics and the music are incredible, a true masterpiece, even without the rest of the album. It's even more impressive when you remember that Plant recorded most of that album wheelchair bound after a car crash in Morocco that could have killed him.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:02 PM   #23
The Male

Local Time: 03:14 PM
I actually prefer ITTOD over Presence. It sounds absolutely ridiculous and dated in parts, but most of the songs are way better than shit like Candy Store Rock. I think Presence sounds mailed in, especially after an epic album like Physical Graffiti.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #24
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I think Presence sounds mailed in, especially after an epic album like Physical Graffiti.
It pretty much was. I guess they had some kind of time frame, maybe from the record company, on coming up with their next album, and due to the personal problems, Robert's tax exile from Britain and his horrible car crash and injuries, it was too hard to do another Physical Grafitti (Which was their true masterpiece) They probably looked at Presence as a 'we're still here don't forget about us' album to hold everyone over until they could come up with something else later.

With ITTOD, they seemed to be changing directions, getting less bluesy and more into synth sounds than heavy metal. We'll never know what would have happened next due to Bonzo's untimely demise. It is entirely possible that even with Bonham they never would have matched Physical Grafitti. Bands so often reach their peak in their mid-late 20's and after 30 it gets slower, less creative and less prolific, never regaining their former glory. Really now, who has? All older artists have their great days, the reputation of which they can use to get them by their less enthusiastic later work. But after all these years I still think Achilles is an awesome song, one of their best.

For poetry, you can't beat the lines and imagery, IMO

It was an April morning when they told us we should go
And as I turned to you, you smiled at me, how could we say no?

With all the fun to have, to live the dreams we always had
Oh, the songs to sing, when we at last return again

Sending off a glancing kiss, to those who claim they know
Below the streets that steam and hiss,
The devil's in his hole

Oh to sail away, To sandy lands and other days
Oh to touch the dream, Hides inside and never seen.

Into the sun the south the north, at last the birds have flown
The shackles of commitment fell, In pieces on the ground

Oh to ride the wind, To tread the air above the din
Oh to laugh aloud, Dancing as we fought the crowds

To seek the man whose pointing hand, The giant step unfolds
To guide us from the curving path, That churns up into stone

If one bell should ring, in celebration for a king
So fast the heart should beat, As proud the head with heavy feet.

Days went by when you and I, bathed in eternal summers glow
As far away and distant, Our mutual child did grow

Oh the sweet refrain, Soothes the soul and calms the pain
Oh Albion remains, sleeping now to rise again

Wandering and wondering, What place to rest the search
The mighty arms of Atlas, Hold the heavens upon the earth

I know the way, know the way, know the way, know the way (X2)
Old 02-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #25
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:14 PM
Well, to me every Led Zep album comes to close to be a masterpiece except Presence (meh) and ITTOD and Led Zep II (which are), especially ITTOD.

Tags
led zeppelin, robert plant