Robert Plant: "A reunion would ruin our legacy"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnRKeyintheUSA

War Child
Robert Plant: "Led Zep Reunion Will Ruin Our Legacy" | Spin Magazine Online

News
Robert Plant: "Led Zep Reunion Will Ruin Our Legacy"
The singer says the band is incomplete without original drummer John Bonham.
By William Goodman 02.04.09 9:56 AM
090204-robert-plant.jpg

Following the hoopla surrounding Led Zeppelin's much discussed reunion, frontman and Grammy nominee Robert Plant has explained why he refuses to allow his old band to tour again.

Plant told Absolute Radio that his reluctance stems from original drummer John Bonham's death in 1980. "The reason that it [the reunion] stopped was because we were incomplete, and we've been incomplete now for 29 years," Plant said.

He said the ferocity Led Zeppelin had in its younger days couldn't be regained without Bonham -- and reuniting now would only taint rock history: "To visit old ground… the disappointment that could be there once you commit to that and the comparisons to something that was basically fired by youth and a different kind of exuberance to now, it's very hard to go back and meet that head on and do it justice."

I agree with Plant in a way, but he shouldn't have done the one-off show then. And considering how well it went over, I can't believe he wouldn't think it sounded good enough to tour with.

I already saw Page & Plant tour together, and that was enough for me.

I actually feel the opposite. Bonham didn't have that much songwriting credit; he'd pop up as a co-writer on one or two songs an album. Granted he's one of the greats and the recordings won't be as good without him, but I think he'd be missed much more from a live perspective, which is where he really let loose.

I agree most with this part:

"To visit old ground… the disappointment that could be there once you commit to that and the comparisons to something that was basically fired by youth and a different kind of exuberance to now, it's very hard to go back and meet that head on and do it justice."

Too many people go on long after their usefulness has expired, and while it does add to their longevity and bank accounts, if the quality isn't there, there's no point. Look at how creativity drops as angry, energetic young men with a lot to say become stagnant, rich older men forcing something to say that turns out dull.(Stones, McCartney, Dylan, Sting, soon to be U2??) For Zep, it's even worse, since there has been such a long break in between. IMO if they were going to get back together they should have done it years ago, like right after the 80's reunions sparked interest in the younger generations. Now, the porthole is closed, and there is no reason to put men in their 60s on the stage trying to reenact what 20-somethings created.

On the Bonham issue, you can't help it that he's dead. Using his son as a replacement is the next best thing, better than other bands out there touring with only one original member but keeping the same name. But even Jason is over 40! Nothing may ruin their legacy more than if the others continue on with a replacement, especially if they find him in a contest on a reality show!

I actually feel the opposite. Bonham didn't have that much songwriting credit; he'd pop up as a co-writer on one or two songs an album. Granted he's one of the greats and the recordings won't be as good without him, but I think he'd be missed much more from a live perspective, which is where he really let loose.

I agree there's a huge difference live, but it's quite obvious on the albums, too. His drumming style is quite unique.

The talk of a new album flying around a few months ago is the thing that really bothers me. A poor album this late in their careers would be an absolute travesty, and, furthermore, what Plant is doing now is far superior to anything that a "reunited" Zeppelin could produce - in my opinion at least. "Walking into Clarkesdale" is testament to the fact that the Page / Plant magic has largely disintegrated.

I think Walking Into Clarksdale is fantastic, and probably better than In Through The Out Door, Fool in the Rain notwithstanding.

I think Walking Into Clarksdale is fantastic, and probably better than In Through The Out Door, Fool in the Rain notwithstanding.

:huh:

Mr. lazarus, I'll give you another reason to use "PLEASE BAN": In Through the Out Door is my fav Led Zep album along with Led Zep II.

:wink:
I'm not kidding...

I definitely agree with him. The loss of a bandmate is hard. But, I think they should do a tour. They have so many great songs they dont need a new album, I could see that being a disappointment. I watched them online for their one show reunion, that was fabulous. So, why not please their fans?

:shrug:

He's right.

Pink Floyd could never reunite without Richard Wright, just like Led Zeppelin can never reunite without John Bonham.

This is basically a personal decision, and not really a commentary on the choices other bands might make. I was so grateful that I had the chance to see Dylan last year, for example...I was truly electrified and moved, though someone who saw him years ago may have been disappointed. I’m guessing the same scenario would play out with a Led Zeppelin tour—they could actually be better than many current acts, but it might be different when looked at the through the lens of a life-long fan. Obviously, Plant has the latter in mind, and I respect him for that.

Also, I’m pretty sure that the 'reunion' performance was for charity...with the proceeds going to scholarships to enable younger musicians to forge careers in the industry. That’s pretty weighty symbolism…

Zeppelin Reunion — Treading on very sacred ground - The North Bay Nugget - Ontario, CA

Zeppelin Reunion — Treading on very sacred ground
Posted By JASON MACNEIL, SUN MEDIA
Updated 13 hours ago

According to Robert Plant, it was better to leave things be than head back on the road with Led Zeppelin.

In a radio interview alongside Alison Krauss which aired earlier this week on Britain's Absolute Radio, Plant says touring with Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham in a Led Zeppelin reunion tour would be treading on very sacred ground.

The reason that it stopped was because we were incomplete and we've been incomplete now for 28 years," Plant says.

No matter what you do, you have to really guard the discretion of what you've done in the past and make sure that you have all the reasons in the right place to be able to do something with absolute and total conviction.

If my great reward is to do this, then I don't want to do anything where we challenge what we did in the first place by just going back and visiting it without having a new, fresh, makeover start.

You only get one shot at these things and if they're spectacular on day one, if on day 10 they aren't so good ... to visit old ground, it's a very incredibly delicate thing to do and the disappointment that could be there once you commit to that and in comparison to something that was basically fired by youth and a different kind of exuberance to now, it's very hard to go back and meet that head on and do it justice."

Plant and Alison Krauss are currently in pre-production for another studio album, the follow-up to the critically acclaimed Raising Sand which is nominated for record of the year at this weekend's Grammy Awards in Los An-Robert geles.

I fully understand Plant's point of view, but after Presence and In Through The Out Door, nothing about Led Zeppelin's legacy is sacred. Had their final album been an Abbey Road, Pearl, or Loaded, I could see it, but they sputtered out after Physical Graffiti IMO.

They could cut an album as something else, I'd love to hear JPJ in the creative mix again.

I have both of those Page-Plant albums, although if memory serves, the first one only had two new songs on it, hastily written and performed, it was largely a let down for me.

Walking into Clarksdale is good. It's not Zeppelin but if you expected Zepp, just as if you expect that Page-Plant-JPJ and Jason Bonham would ever be Zepp, you should be kicked in the business section.

I fully understand Plant's point of view, but after Presence and In Through The Out Door, nothing about Led Zeppelin's legacy is sacred. Had their final album been an Abbey Road, Pearl, or Loaded, I could see it, but they sputtered out after Physical Graffiti IMO.

Am I the only one who thinks ITTOD is perfect? (along with Led Zep II)

Am I the only one who thinks ITTOD is perfect? (along with Led Zep II)

Perhaps not perfect, but I do enjoy In Through the Out Door, and Presence for that matter as well. True, Out Door is no Abbey Road, but it is by no means a weak effort. In my mind, Zeppelin's catalogue contains no weak entries.

Presence is underrated. I used to judge it by its stupid cover, literally, but once I heard "Achilles Last Stand" it became one of my top Zep tunes. The lyrics and the music are incredible, a true masterpiece, even without the rest of the album. It's even more impressive when you remember that Plant recorded most of that album wheelchair bound after a car crash in Morocco that could have killed him.

I actually prefer ITTOD over Presence. It sounds absolutely ridiculous and dated in parts, but most of the songs are way better than shit like Candy Store Rock. I think Presence sounds mailed in, especially after an epic album like Physical Graffiti.

I think Presence sounds mailed in, especially after an epic album like Physical Graffiti.

It pretty much was. I guess they had some kind of time frame, maybe from the record company, on coming up with their next album, and due to the personal problems, Robert's tax exile from Britain and his horrible car crash and injuries, it was too hard to do another Physical Grafitti (Which was their true masterpiece) They probably looked at Presence as a 'we're still here don't forget about us' album to hold everyone over until they could come up with something else later.

With ITTOD, they seemed to be changing directions, getting less bluesy and more into synth sounds than heavy metal. We'll never know what would have happened next due to Bonzo's untimely demise. It is entirely possible that even with Bonham they never would have matched Physical Grafitti. Bands so often reach their peak in their mid-late 20's and after 30 it gets slower, less creative and less prolific, never regaining their former glory. Really now, who has? All older artists have their great days, the reputation of which they can use to get them by their less enthusiastic later work. But after all these years I still think Achilles is an awesome song, one of their best.

For poetry, you can't beat the lines and imagery, IMO

It was an April morning when they told us we should go
And as I turned to you, you smiled at me, how could we say no?

With all the fun to have, to live the dreams we always had
Oh, the songs to sing, when we at last return again

Sending off a glancing kiss, to those who claim they know
Below the streets that steam and hiss,
The devil's in his hole

Oh to sail away, To sandy lands and other days
Oh to touch the dream, Hides inside and never seen.

Into the sun the south the north, at last the birds have flown
The shackles of commitment fell, In pieces on the ground

Oh to ride the wind, To tread the air above the din
Oh to laugh aloud, Dancing as we fought the crowds

To seek the man whose pointing hand, The giant step unfolds
To guide us from the curving path, That churns up into stone

If one bell should ring, in celebration for a king
So fast the heart should beat, As proud the head with heavy feet.

Days went by when you and I, bathed in eternal summers glow
As far away and distant, Our mutual child did grow

Oh the sweet refrain, Soothes the soul and calms the pain
Oh Albion remains, sleeping now to rise again

Wandering and wondering, What place to rest the search
The mighty arms of Atlas, Hold the heavens upon the earth

I know the way, know the way, know the way, know the way (X2)

Well, to me every Led Zep album comes to close to be a masterpiece except Presence (meh) and ITTOD and Led Zep II (which are), especially ITTOD.

Back
Top Bottom