Robbie Williams - Bodies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The John Tree

War Child
I know this thread might get bashed because Robbie Williams may not be seen as "legitimate" enough for U2 fans. Also, as an American, I'm one of about 17 people in this country who knows who Robbie Williams is (the guy from Mrs. Doubtfire, right?).

But I think Robbie Williams is one of the greatest pop stars ever. American pop stars are so bland and interchangeable. It's refreshing for me to see a pop star like Robbie who is a true entertainer and a damn good songwriter.

This thread is meant to discuss his new single, "Bodies", and forthcoming album "Reality Killed The Video Star".

I think Bodies is fantastic. Especially following Rudebox, which was so disappointing. Bodies has that perfect mix of current-sounding dance elements while maintaining that huge stadium ready chorus.

Thoughts?

I have to say, I bought The Ego Has Landed when it came out in the U.S., and thought it was fantastic. I enjoyed Sing When You're Winning as well.

Guy has a great sense of humor, too.

Will have to check this new stuff out; I haven't listened to him in ages.

Thanks for the tip!

"Ego" and "Sing" are good albums, Lazarus, but if you're really interested in his newer work, check out "Intensive Care". It's a very personal album, and in my opinion his real masterpiece. Skip "Escapology", as it's too lightweight, and Rudebox is an experiment in hip hop that doesn't come off too well. But Intensive Care is gold, I'd check it out.

I was a huge fan of his back in high school. I have Life Through A Lens, I've Been Expecting You, Sing When You're Winning, and Escapology. I thought he lost it a bit after that (I heard the whole album Rudebox, and while I liked a few songs, was sorely disappointed.)

If he's back with Guy Chambers, though, I might pick this one up. Dude has a great voice, and his lyrics and songwriting skills aren't that bad, either.

Pretty big Robbie Williams fan here, lurking in the corner. :wave:

A large handful of his singles throughout the years have been excellent. He's also just a straight up cool motherfucker.

One of my buddies who is a huge fan of the guy, refers to him as Rodney Wilson. Just because. And that's always made me laugh for some reason.

Anyway, I'll check out the new song eventually and report back.

I like Robbie Williams. I don't think his albums are consistent enough, but he's done some fantastic songs over the years (mostly early years).

I heard the new song on the radio yesterday and thought it was pretty average.

I am a huge - HUGE - Robbie fan. He is right up there with U2 for me (and Roxette but that's a whole other thread) and I've been a fan since the Take That days. Oh yeah - old school Thatter right here peeps! Represneting 1992 style!

I really liked 'Rudebox' - but it took a loooong time to really get into it - so I understand why most people just went "meh" and walked away. 'Intensive Care' is awesome - however don't write off 'Escapology' - it does have 'Come Undone', 'Feel' and most importantly 'Hot Fudge' on it. 'Hot Fudge' is one of those tracks that wasn't a single but really, really should have been. Questionable lyrics but that chant of 'I'm moving to LA' is massive :)

I like 'Bodies' though. Not love it. I think it is a catchy song but it seems he is treading water a bit. It just sounds like a standard Robbie song - which is what he needs after losing a good 80% of his paying audience with his last album. I had just hoped after 4 odd years off he'd come back with something of the calibre of 'Tripping' or even fucking 'Rock DJ'. I want him to be number one again. More to the point I want him to be truly interesting musically again.

Anyhow, the new album will be the true test. I have high hopes that he has some hidden gems on there and 'Bodies' is a bit of a red herring.

And for those of you giving a shit - here are my top 10 recommended Robbie tracks.

01 - Hot Fudge (Escapology)
02 - Lazy Days (Life Thru A Lens)
03 - Make Me Pure (Intensive Care)
04 - Let Love Be Your Energy (Sing When You're Winning)
05 - Radio (Greatest Hits)
06 - Phoenix From The Flames (I've Been Expecting You)
07 - Come Undone (Escapology)
08 - Lovelight (Rudebox)
09 - Sin Sin Sin (Intensive Care)
10 - Angels (Life Thru A Lens)

Some of his b-sides are awesome too. Also his lame arse rap at the start of Take That's 'Lady Tonight' is fun. 'Could It Be Magic' is fantastic - I am not souch a fan of 'Everything Changes' though.

I think the man has talent. He's done some great songs. I watched this live show he did once that was set up like an old school crooner show, very good...

I think he has a wicked sense of humor and that's one of the reasons he's never really hit it big over in the states. Americans don't like humor in their music :shrug: Unless you're Weird Al.

That being said, I don't like Bodies one bit... I find Robbie to be very inconsistent.

I think the fact that he is so popular and overexposed over here (even though he hasn't done anything for a few years, you still hear the old songs on the radio all the time) has diminished my appreciation for him. He seems like a pretty cool guy and does have a few genuinely good pop songs. Bloke's ugly as sin, though.

You may not have noticed, but that name combines two of Australia's most vulgar comedians, (Rodney) Rude and (Kevin Bloody) Wilson, each with very distinctive voices.

*walksoutofthestunnedroomwhistling*

I really like a few of his songs. Let Me Entertain You gets thrashed, but there's some good stuff out there. I really liked Supreme, it had a cool F1 film clip.

Hey Thatsnotmypuppy, it wasn't you in the Barry Divola "Fanclub" book by chance? :wink:

I like me some Robbie, his concert at Footy Park in 2006 was awesome, he's a total entertainer, he knows how to work a stadium. I'll keep an ear out for the new song.

The reason I like Bodies, some of the Rudebox album, and Intensive Care especially is that they seem more...adult pop. Not so lightweight.

It seems that on Escapology and the earlier albums, Robbie made songs that other people wanted to hear and would satisfy the Take That fanbase. It seems like starting with Intensive Care, he started writing the tunes HE wanted to hear.

I never listened to Take That. In the States, you don't hear about them a lot. I just remember back in 1997, watching MTV late one night, and the American video for Angels came on...and I was blown away by what was honestly one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Couldn't believe it wasn't a hit in the US (and it never will be, now that Jessica Simpson has butchered it.)

Bodies seems to follow in the Intensive Care mold of being dance-oriented, yet adult sounding and having an ethereal quality to it. Here's hoping that the return of Guy Chambers doesn't signal a return to the old "sunshine" writing.

My favorite Robbie story is how Robbie told Guy that he wanted to make a song that sounded like Dr. Dre's "Still D.R.E.": YouTube - Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg - Still Dre

And Guy gave him "Something Beautiful": YouTube - Robbie Williams - Something Beautiful

To be honest, he's one of the few respectable pop artists out in the world. :up:

It is kind of weird how things have turned out for Rob. Since Take That have returned and have practically taken over the UK as it were, Rob has to come back and prove himself in the face of their - what - 5 or 6 odd million album sales in the past 3 years?

How the world turns indeed.

It's such a shame that he isn't more popular over here in the states. In order to get his first two studio albums, I had to have the cd store order them as imports. And those first two albums hold a special place in my heart, because they got me through some tough times in high school.

I wasn't too impressed (and still aren't too impressed) with Intensive Care. I think it lacks melody and substance. Rudebox, on the other hand, is mostly catchy, good pop music. I prefer the early stuff, but Rudebox is a pretty decent album.

My favorite Robbie album, though, is Escapology. Pure pop perfection on that one, it's his masterpiece.

I'm loving that there are other 'Rudebox' fans. It was unfairly slated in my opinion - but meh - as Neil Tennant said "it was quite a popular flop - 4.5 million copies sold".

I don't hate Rudebox, I actually quite like it. I was just such a big fan of Intensive Care that I was a little letdown.

but Rudebox, Viva Life on Mars, especially Lovelight, Bongo Bong, Burslem Normals, Louise, and The 80s & 90s are beautiful tunes.

Back
Top Bottom