RIP - Scott Weiland - - - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2015, 01:07 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:53 AM
RIP - Scott Weiland - -

48 years

Old 12-04-2015, 06:05 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 06:53 PM
Very sad news,thoughts with his family and friends.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using U2 Interference mobile app

Old 12-04-2015, 06:08 AM   #3
Refugee

In memory of Scott,VR's best song in my opinion.

https://youtu.be/j4-b_Ibghhw

Old 12-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:53 PM

Weiland was a great performer. I was a huge fan of STP back in the 90's and early 2000's. I saw STP perform in 2000 at Jones Beach and Scott was in top form. Saw Velvet Revolver at the same place in 2005, and once again he was awesome. The big thing that marred his career, of course, were his drug problems. After a while, I got tired of all his bullshit and stopped paying attention. He was a great frontman, though. Considering all of his troubles, many predicted that he would die from them 20 years ago. It seemed like he'd make it through and live a reasonably long life.

Shit, I almost forgot. I did get STP's self titled 2010 album and it was actually really good. That was their last one with Scott.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:53 PM
I have been a huge fan of STP since the mid 90s, when I was roughly 14 and started to get into Alternative Rock. Weiland and STP had a flair and flamboyance added to their music that I feel set them apart from similar bands of that era (Alice and Chains, Soundgarden, etc). I saw them 3 times, in 2000, 2002 and 2008, and all 3 were incredible shows. I love all 6 of their studio albums, they're all very different but equally good (IMO, which is not an O that is shared by everyone).

I can't say I'm surprised by this at all, but that doesn't make it any less sad. Weiland was a truly talented person when he was sober and on point.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:25 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 11:53 AM
Sad news. I saw an STP show around 2000 or so. Awesome show, and Weiland was an extremely talented frontman. RIP.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:48 PM   #7
45:33

Local Time: 04:53 AM
Why is there a superfluous hyphen in the thread title?
Old 12-07-2015, 04:27 AM   #8
Refugee

Watching the fall to pieces video now,is like watching a documentary of his life. Great song.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:21 AM   #9
The Male

Local Time: 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Why is there a superfluous hyphen in the thread title?
Deep has the strangest typography on the site, this has been known.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
Weiland was a great performer. I was a huge fan of STP back in the 90's and early 2000's. I saw STP perform in 2000 at Jones Beach and Scott was in top form. Saw Velvet Revolver at the same place in 2005, and once again he was awesome. The big thing that marred his career, of course, were his drug problems. After a while, I got tired of all his bullshit and stopped paying attention. He was a great frontman, though. Considering all of his troubles, many predicted that he would die from them 20 years ago. It seemed like he'd make it through and live a reasonably long life.

Shit, I almost forgot. I did get STP's self titled 2010 album and it was actually really good. That was their last one with Scott.

I saw them open for Red Hot Chili Peppers at Jones Beach in 2000. I wasn't a fan of STP at that point but knew some songs. We were sitting in about the 4th row, middle. During Plush, Weiland makes eye contact with me from the stage, jumps down into the crowd, walks up the aisle straight to me and puts the microphone in my face and I sing "and I feel it".

Cool moment, made me a fan.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #11
Refugee

^^cool story.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynmike View Post
I saw them open for Red Hot Chili Peppers at Jones Beach in 2000. I wasn't a fan of STP at that point but knew some songs. We were sitting in about the 4th row, middle. During Plush, Weiland makes eye contact with me from the stage, jumps down into the crowd, walks up the aisle straight to me and puts the microphone in my face and I sing "and I feel it".

Cool moment, made me a fan.
That's the show I was at. Technically, RHCP were the "headliner", but they were co-headliners. I was there to see the RHCP, but was also a fan of STP. STP stole the show that night.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:10 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:53 PM
I also saw STP summer 2000 in Columbus. The sad thing is I went with a group of friends, and I thought we were going to an STP/RHCP show until we got there. It was a local radio festival with STP headlining (this festival took place on an off-day between shows on their tour with RHCP, having played with them in Cincinnati the night before). I was a casual fan, but I really got into STP hardcore after that! Was disappointed I didn't get to see RHCP, but STP really delivered and I forgot all about that other band.

Saw them again in 2002, Promowest Pavilion in Columbus. Intimate venue, explosive show... was fucking awesome. They broke up like a week later.

Saw them a final time in Cleveland 2008, one of their first shows after their comeback. Top 5 concert for me. Scott was absolutely on point at this show, band was firing on all cylinders... was truly something to behold.

They came to Columbus again in 2009 and 2010, but for some reason I didn't go. I wish I had. Great live band, and I loved all 6 of their records.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:23 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
That's the show I was at. Technically, RHCP were the "headliner", but they were co-headliners. I was there to see the RHCP, but was also a fan of STP. STP stole the show that night.
Same here - I was a huge STP fan in the mid 90s, but figured they'd get blown away by the Chilis (who were a much better band in 2000), but STP just destroyed them. They were so tight, and Weiland was as good a frontman as I've ever seen. He was Dave Gahan level great. Saw them again in 2002, and it was supposed to be an hour long show for Much Music, but they ended up playing for two hours and the show ended with Dean ripping Scott's clothes off and Scott running around naked, then covering up with an American flag. Two of the best shows I've ever seen.

There aren't many albums I've listened to more than Purple, and STP have aged better than any American 90s band aside from the Pumpkins and Pavement.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I take it you're not a fan of Pearl Jam.