RIP Prince

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Batdance has to be one of the strangest #1 singles of all time. I can't imagine listening to it more than once, let alone at all hours of the day all over the country.

I guess you had to be there.

Batdance has to be one of the strangest #1 singles of all time. I can't imagine listening to it more than once, let alone at all hours of the day all over the country.

I guess you had to be there.

Yeah, you really did. I was there when it came out, and still thought it was a weird single. But holy shit it was everywhere. It was one of those songs that you knew you'd never put on a mix tape or listen to a few years down the line, but it was part of the soundtrack to your summer.

Not one of Prince's better albums.

Yesterday I listened to the original test pressing of 1995's Come, which includes Endorphinmachine (eventually winding up on The Gold Experience), as well as Interactive and Strays of the World (both found on the Crystal Ball collection).

Even without those, this might be Prince's most underrated album.

Back further in time, I'd love to write a long article comparing the various 1987 albums; the Revolution-heavy, 18-track double album Dream Factory, the Camille "side project" with the new vocal affectation, the 22-track triple album Crystal Ball, and finally the official Sign O' The Times release, a consolidation of all three.

From what I've been listening to the last week, I'm convinced that Crystal Ball would have been an even greater release, with no filler despite the extra 6 songs. The only SOTT track missing would be U Got The Look, which I could live with.

Perhaps the most impressive, fascinating year of recording from any artist in history. What a wealth of riches.

Listened to my first Prince studio album recently - Sign o the Times based on the many recommendations here. What a crazy, wonderfully disjointed album. The second half in particular is stellar with its mixture of depraved and devotional tunes, at least as far as I am hearing it. It definitely sounds of its time in terms of production etc but not aggressively so.

It's just profoundly heartbreaking.

I don't know if this has been posted or not (did not see it during a quick scroll) but I remember watching this when it originally aired and probably have it on VHS in that box in the garage. It is really one of the best things ever.

Agree that it's sad that he was so close to getting help, but it's equally sad that it had to get to such a crisis point before anyone did anything.

To be fair, we don't know if or when people tried to help him previously; maybe it was only recently that he was ready to accept help.

I've been waiting to see what Rolling Stone would do for their cover.

Perfection.

13173718_843312765774569_1783132743822991483_n_zpsswhhweqb.jpg

List of vault contents:
http://www.aux.tv/2016/05/99-items-found-in-princes-secret-vault/

Here's some things I found interesting:

Purple Rain 2: The Purpling

“Unity 4 The People” — Unreleased charity single with Michael Jackson. Shelved because Prince disapproved of Jackson’s intent to buy the Elephant Man’s bones.

Pure Energon — Transformers-themed concept album with the Information Society.

Morris Day-narrated Koko B. Ware (professional wrestler) documentary film.

Teal — Shelved album/image overhaul created before Prince adopted O(+>) in 1993.

“Teal Snow” — 19-minute extended music video directed by Tim Burton.

Teal Angels — Collection of six bedazzled stage outfits, complete with angel wings, designed for shelved stage show.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Now that I've heard The Black Album, I've completed Prince's 70s and 80s.

The Black Album is pretty cool. There are some stretches of forgettable material, particularly towards the end, but the performances are great throughout and the overall sound of the record has that woozy, oddball Sign O The Times feel to it that I love so much.

Le Grind and Cindy C are fucking great, vintage Prince. According to setlist.fm, the former has only been played live once and it was this year: Prince Concert Setlist at Paisley Park Studios, Chanhassen on January 23, 2016 | setlist.fm

So Prince's vault has 99 items, but a bitch ain't one.

The items David posted sound fake, but most some of them seem very plausible.

I said 'most' after reading just the beginning. They get pretty goofy as you keep reading.

Purple Blue — Alt.country EP with The Jayhawks.

PxP — Hardcore project with Dave Pirner from Soul Asylum.

PP — Chuck Berry tribute album with Dave Pirner from Soul Asylum.

Neil Young’s Homegrown album.

Now that I've heard The Black Album, I've completed Prince's 70s and 80s.

The Black Album is pretty cool. There are some stretches of forgettable material, particularly towards the end, but the performances are great throughout and the overall sound of the record has that woozy, oddball Sign O The Times feel to it that I love so much.

Le Grind and Cindy C are fucking great, vintage Prince. According to setlist.fm, the former has only been played live once and it was this year: Prince Concert Setlist at Paisley Park Studios, Chanhassen on January 23, 2016 | setlist.fm

You are really going to dig all the 1987 sessions material. Sign O' The Times may be his masterpiece anyway, but Crystal Ball would have been among the greatest albums ever released, full stop. I realize some would put SOTT up there anyway but imagine Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine's material being folded into Sgt. Pepper and maybe you get an idea of how good it is.

Crystal Ball is pretty great.

After working my way through the discography ...

Despite having 90% of the songs on the double-disc Hits collection, I really need Dirty Mind and Controversy in my collection.

I thought I would have a new appreciation for Around the World In a Day and Parade, but ... nah. Some great songs, but nah.

Come was pretty good.

Diamonds and Pearls is very dated, with that hip-hop-feel-big-voiced-male-rapper thing. I don't mind in Gett Off because the song is so good, but it just made most of the album a big no for me (despite a few songs I liked).

I wish I hadn't gotten rid of Musicology in my recent CD purge. I had forgotten how solid it was.

Last edited:
Just listened to Diamonds and Pearls yesterday myself. Definitely near the bottom of his catalogue for me. The singles (including Cream and Money Don't Matter 2 Nite) are all good, but a ton of filler and the annoying budget rapping you mentioned. I'll say it again, it's follow-up "Love Symbol" is vastly superior.

The more I listen to Parade, the more I appreciate it. I was listening to that music snobs podcast and one of the guys maintained it was his biggest artistic leap due to the complex arrangements of the songs, the use of stings, as well as the conceptual nature that would inform so many subsequent albums.

Also rolled through Musicology the other day and it's pretty consistent, though that Candy Dulfer-sung chorus intro to Life Of The Party is just terrible. Really love the title track, Call My Name, Dear Mr. Man, On The Couch, If I Was The Man In Your Life, and a few others.

Last edited:
Re: Diamonds and Pearls and Love Symbol.

Agreed that the former is weaker, although the singles are all fantastic. I also like Thunder. Apart from those, certainly not his best.

I enjoy Love Symbol, but it could have used an edit; just way too long. And as great as Sexy MF is, it shouldn't have been a single, let alone the lead. My Name Is Prince, followed by 7, would have been a great 1-2 opening shot.

Personally, I think Gold Experience blows them both away.

Last edited:
Agreed on this points, but I thought My Name Is Prince was the lead single? Certainly the first video from it that I remember seeing.

The Gold Experience is more consistent with less filler, that's for sure. And it definitely benefits from Endorphinmachine being left off the official release of Come. The album has an energy and weirdness that many felt was missing from the NPG era, though Come has that as well.

I believe Sexy MF was first, although I don't remember there being a video.

Perhaps it was considered a "teaser" single, as it was released well in advance of the album, as I recall.

Edit - just looked at wiki. It was first, and discovered that it was actually a Top 10 UK hit. Go figure.

I would have loved for The Max to have been a single. One of my faves.

Last edited:
I believe Sexy MF was first, although I don't remember there being a video.

Perhaps it was considered a "teaser" single, as it was released well in advance of the album, as I recall.

Edit - just looked at wiki. It was first, and discovered that it was actually a Top 10 UK hit. Go figure.

I was just about to reply how strange it would be not to remember the huge hit that was Sexy MF. But apparently, it was a bigger hit in Europe than the US. I can't find the single edit video, that was everywhere that summer, only the full 8 1/2 minute version (that I haven't seen before).
Sexy Mother Fucker of Prince in video on Jukebox

But yeah, the single came out some 4 months before the release of the album, so you could say it was a "teaser" single.
BTW, I think it was a brilliant single. As was his move to follow it up with My Name Is Prince when the album was about to drop.

Back
Top Bottom