RIP Prince

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if anyone comes across any really good obits, can they post them here? I don't know Prince all that well and would like to read a good one. Like to hear more from Laz, too, who is almost single-handedly responsible for making me excited about Prince.

if anyone comes across any really good obits, can they post them here? I don't know Prince all that well and would like to read a good one. Like to hear more from Laz, too, who is almost single-handedly responsible for making me excited about Prince.

You should just look him up on Wikipedia.

And then read all the anecdotes about him instead.

Sent from my XT1575 using U2 Interference mobile app

TMZ now reporting that after a gig in Atlanta his plane made an emergency landing in Moline, IL where he was rushed to the hospital where he was given a 'save shot' presumably from an opiate overdose. That was 6 days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I read that he was putting off hip surgery. I wonder if he was having a hard time with prescription pain pills? Prince didn't strike me as a recreational drug dude.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Listened to Musicology today, very enjoyable record. It's the newest Prince album I've heard, before that it was The Gold Experience from way back in 1995. A Million Days is excellent and worth the price of admission alone.

Highly recommend checking out 3121. It's my favorite post-1990s album. Doesn't break any new ground per se (though Black Sweat is pretty out there) but revisits sounds he hadn't in a while, some of his hardest stuff since The Gold Experience. Fury is a killer track, and he did a great rendition that year (2006) on SNL. Ferocious guitar playing.

Here's a non-YouTube link:

PRINCE - FURY (SNL LIVE 2006)

The mellower stuff has some great melodies as well. Here's another fav of mine from the album, and the other one he played on SNL that night:

http://tvpot.daum.net/clip/ClipView...06&ref=&cateid=&relateid=63120799&relatepage=

Last edited:
In lieu of going out with my friends to the bar as I did on the night of Bowie's death, tonight I just disappeared down a Prince k-hole. I already have a fair share of rare/unreleased/bootleg material, but I went even further. Just managed to find mp3s of what is supposedly the greatest Prince bootleg, a show from 1988 in Rotterdam called "Small Club, 2nd Night", which is, no surprise, an afterparty. The quality is spectacular, and it's some of the best guitar work I've ever heard. There's a few live standards like Housequake, D.M.S.R., and It's Going To Be A Beautiful Night, but also some covers (Just My Imagination, Down Home Blues, James Brown's Cold Sweat). Anyway, I can provide the link if anyone wants to PM me.

Now I'm trying to find the pieces to put together the abandoned Dream Factory and Crystal Ball projects, which eventually morphed into Sign O' The Times. To think that masterpiece was actually some cobbled-together compromise is mind-blowing.

I read that he was putting off hip surgery. I wonder if he was having a hard time with prescription pain pills? Prince didn't strike me as a recreational drug dude.

I read that he was putting off the surgery since 2005. Him being a Jehovah's Witness, he didn't want any blood transfusions, so the surgery wasn't performed.

I just watched the While My guitar Gently Weeps rock and roll hall of fame tribute to George Harrison and what strikes me more than the guitar solo itself is the looks on the faces of all the other musicians, they seemed to be awestruck.

Huge loss - what a tough year so far. :sad:

Here's also a nice one from The Telegraph. Prince – obituary
Prince, who has died aged 57, was to the pop music of the 1980s what David Bowie had been to that of the previous decade, its sole authentic genius.

Certainly, there were singers who sold more records or gained more awards, although his sales would top 100 million and he won seven Grammys as well as an Oscar. There were contemporaries of his who dominated their genres of music to a greater extent, among them Bruce Springsteen, Michael Jackson and Madonna. Yet none had as much influence or creativity as he, none broke as many rules as he, nor did so with such effortlessness and such showmanship.

i dunno about the "sole authentic genius" of 80s pop. that seems more than a little hyperbolic.

more influential than Michael Jackson or Madonna in the 80s? come on.

He was more authentic than Jackson and Madonna, that's for sure.

Madonna built her career around playing to a perception.

for sure, but i definitely take exception to the notion that he was the only true genius in pop music for an entire decade.

he was most certainly not more influential on the cultural zeitgeist than Mike or Madonna though. that's just silly.

I almost said "wasn't Morrisey 80s genius in pop?" but I realize he's not necessarily counted as "pop" musician.

Back
Top Bottom